Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Wow - I have been reviewing instruments for best part of 9 years. Some have proved divisive. I never, NEVER thought a Ken Timms would be a divisive one...

*(ps - that edit - baz is 'everyone's hero' ?? Passsive aggressive much Graham? )

Actually - thanks for totally destroying a post about a very nice ukulele.
    Last edited by bazmaz; 11-04-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

There have been a few Ken Timms ukes appear on Ebay recently.I think they are more available than some Luthier built ukes because he doesn't take orders with a waiting list,he only seems to sell direct on eBay.

Quite - as I say if you want one you have to do a 'bit' of work to find one. To suggest this is a downside seems bonkers.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I don't know of many luthier built instruments that I would say are readily available. I have known of some that have waiting lists that are years long.

I enjoy the reviews. They give me a sense of what qualities one looks for in a good instrument and gives me a perspective. They give me helpful info in the event one pops up for sale ad gives me a sense of what people are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Wow - I have been reviewing instruments for best part of 9 years. Some have proved divisive. I never, NEVER thought a Ken Timms would be a divisive one...

*(ps - that edit - baz is 'everyone's hero' ?? Passsive aggressive much Graham? )

Actually - thanks for totally destroying a post about a very nice ukulele.
    Certainly not intended to be passive aggressive or unpleasant in any form. I’m just not that type of person and would draw your attention to a sentence in my earlier post: “ Let me be clear that nothing negative is intended here“. I’m sorry that you feel that your post has been damaged in some way, that wasn’t my intent.

My comments invited explanation for things I didn’t understand. How you read something is beyond my control but if asking questions isn’t acceptable here then where is it?

If you feel unhappy then it’s a simple matter for the mods to delete my first post and everything after it. Would you like to request one of them to do that, if that would make you happy then I wouldn’t object to them doing that at all.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-04-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I don't know of many luthier built instruments that I would say are readily available. I have known of some that have waiting lists that are years long.

I enjoy the reviews. They give me a sense of what qualities one looks for in a good instrument and gives me a perspective. They give me helpful info in the event one pops up for sale ad gives me a sense of what people are talking about.
    This (above) I can relate too and a response to my questions along those lines would have seemed reasonable and appropriate to me. I find the alternative response quite strange but like I said in an earlier post if one of the mods would like to trim this thread back to before my first post then that’s fine by me.

Returning to the uke itself, I've played half a dozen of Ken's ukes and they were all extremely good indeed. They are also remarkably consistent - some might be a fraction better (I think I'm lucky enough to own one of those), but none drop below extremely good. And they are all better ukes than any of the modern Martins I've played - just as effortless to play, but sounding noticeably fuller and richer.

To buy one you simply set up an eBay search for "Timms ukulele" and you'll get an email when he lists the next one. Then you have to outbid the others, of course. They occasionally come up for sale second-hand, but only two or three a year and usually at the same price as new ones or even higher, which I think says all you need to know.

Thank you very much for the review Baz. It's great to see how much you enjoy playing this Uke and I can absolutely subscribe to what you are saying about the Uke.

Availability is limited of course but if you really want one its not that complicated to get one.
    - Ken Timms Soprano Koa

Yup, not impossible at all, just set up the ebay search with email notification, and place a WTB ad and network here on UU. Having some good tradebait helps too
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post

Timms Ukes are effectively not available to the general public (you can’t place an order for one and you can’t buy a new one off of the shelf) so what’s the point in wanting one when they are so very difficult to get hold of?
    It seems to me that the last three posts above clearly show that special arrangements are needed for purchase and therefore Timms are not easy to get hold of. I would suggest that my definition of effective availability is valid.

Profchris:
    To buy one you simply set up an eBay search for "Timms ukulele" and you'll get an email when he lists the next one.

Ukador:
    Availability is limited of course but if you really want one its not that complicated to get one.

Ukecaster:
    Yup, not impossible at all, just set up the ebay search with email notification, and place a WTB ad and network here on UU. Having some good tradebait helps too
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-04-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Thread Information