Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

I think Mr Timms is going to have a happy holiday!

I think Mr Timms is going to have a happy holiday!

Very possibly, the auction for his latest Uke finished at £720 but to a buyer (it seems) with no past purchase history; I hope that they pay up OK, that lack of history would be a concern to me. The auction was, IMHO, one to step back from (view the bidding history for yourself and come to your own conclusions). If I had a Timms then right now would be a good time, from an investment perspective, to list it on a well known auction site in the hope of attracting one of the several dissapointed bidders - Christmas is coming and maybe someone wants a special gift near regardless of price?

I read on this site that Mr T has shut up shop until the Spring so no new Ukes will be available until then? To my mind this is all a rather strange situation and I haven’t changed my (unpopular) earlier opinions, the auction result (frenzy?) actually confirms them and hence this post - I don’t intent to get involved in this thread again.

Last edited:
Very possibly, the auction for his latest Uke finished at £720 but to a buyer (it seems) with no past purchase history; I hope that they pay up OK, that lack of history would be a concern to me. The auction was, IMHO, one to step back from (view the bidding history for yourself and come to your own conclusions). If I had a Timms then right now would be a good time, from an investment perspective, to list it on a well known auction site in the hope of attracting one of the several dissapointed bidders - Christmas is coming and maybe someone wants a special gift near regardless of price?

I read on this site that Mr T has shut up shop until the Spring so no new Ukes will be available until then? To my mind this is all a rather strange situation and I haven’t changed my (unpopular) earlier opinions, the auction result (frenzy?) actually confirms them and hence this post - I don’t intent to get involved in this thread again.

Good decision, there is only so much negativity the thread can take.

I expect that the latest buyer will be extremely happy with his new Timms and regard the price as money well spent.
How do you put a price on JOY!!:D

I expect that the latest buyer will be extremely happy with his new Timms and regard the price as money well spent.
How do you put a price on JOY!!:D

In the end the buyer will be saving money because of the now cured UAS.

I vaguely know the buyer - they are legit I believe.

As for the ongoing comments suggesting the Timms ukes are in some way unavailable - can't honestly believe the thread turned back to that AGAIN.... Sheesh...

(he shuts up at winter as he is getting on in years, and the workshop conditions make it harder to work. He did the same last year, and no doubt will again. I am sure he will be making ukes again next year - it's not a 'strange' situation, it' just what he does. As for the 'frenzy' - he sometimes puts them up for auction, presumably to test the pricing. Sometimes they go high. Sometimes they don't. That's how ebay works..)

Last edited:
Yea Baz.......the nobs in this thread that keep going on about one man's buisness are really getting tiresome. Ken, like all luthiers are highly skilled through years and years of application. They are self employed, can work when they want, sell when they want and charge what they want.

Those that don't like it should grow up and move on. Go buy a dolphin if you want something cheap and readily available.

Last edited:
That's it in a nutshell, Dave!:agree:

Agreed Dave

Not only do I not see what the fascination is with his availability, I just don't even see it as an issue that exists. He's not in music stores in cardboard boxes, but so what? That's a great thing!

one of my other fave UK luthier (Rob Collins) has a waiting list on build to order of 6 months plus. That doesn't make him any less valid or 'hard to get'. It just means you have to be a bit more patient.

If anything, Ken T is more straightforward to get hold of.

I have spotted yet another of Kens listed just today if anyone is interested.
Last one for this year by the sounds of it :)

Yes, just saw that

How dare he keep making them available!!

Good luck to him I say. I did mean it when i said in my review that I would pay twice the price i paid...

Good luck to him I say. I did mean it when i said in my review that I would pay twice the price i paid...

I agree. I'm happy I got mine BIN, but for me it's at least on a par with sopranos that cost 2 or 3 times more.
I love everything about it, the jangle and bark is perfect for how this ukulele should be, being a style 0. It feels very light and tactile, playability and tone is great and it loves to be heard.
I like that Ken sells his Ukuleles through eBay. It means these lovely instruments are available to anyone who cares to bid to a price they are happy to pay. If the auction goes beyond your means then just wait (hold off on your UAS) and be patient for the BIN.

Top Bottom