Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Thank you maki66! That is a great link on the french polish AND you led me to explore the hill guitar site, which led me to find another updated page on the care of French Polish with additional detail. It is worth a book mark!

http://www.hillguitar.com/website/catalog/frenchpolish.html

The outstanding finish that Ms. Timms applies to these wonderful ukuleles that Ken produces is indeed beautiful. It is great to know that the finish can be repaired easily by someone who is experienced with the wonders of shellac. The finish on these ukuleles is, as Baz has written, much like the finest quality antique furniture...only new!

Timms ukes serial numbers

For anyone interested, when I asked Ken Timms about my Timms serial number, he explained his serial number system to me as follows:

The first 2 numbers are the sequence of ukes strung that day, the next 2 numbers are the day of the month, next 2 numbers are the month, and last 2 numbers are the year. So the serial number basically represents the date of completion, when he strings up the new instrument.

For example, a Timms uke with SN# 01220516 would be May 22nd, 2016

01: 1st finished uke strung that day
22: 22nd day of the month
05: Month of May
16: Year 2016

Happy strumming!

I have both 1930 Martin Style 0 and a Timms soprano, and the Timms compares very favorable to the Martin. His work is both visually and aurally excellent.

My Timms Soprano serial number is 01021211, so first uke on 2 December, 2011.

I got it 2nd hand on eBay, from a gent in the UK who said he plays guitar, bought the uke, and just never played it.
What I paid, shipped, was about what my Maximum bid before shipping was for a new one.
I need a better case for it - I currently have it in a Phitz case that they sold me as a soprano case, but is a concert case, and I have it lined with wool to prevent movement.

The only thing that I'm not 100% in love with are the friction tuners - I really do prefer Peghed or Gotoh UPT tuners. That being said, these are the best friction tuners I have ever used.

I laughed when I read that Barry called the Timms a "UAS killer", until I realized I haven't bought another ukulele since I got mine, over a year ago.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
I laughed when I read that Barry called the Timms a "UAS killer", until I realized I haven't bought another ukulele since I got mine, over a year ago.

-Kurt​

Genuinely meant it!!

When I watched this review, I noted that I had never seen Baz grin and bubble over an ukulele like this. I don't care for soprano ukes (please don't kill me), but I wanted one of Ken Timm's ukes after seeing this.
Barry's review is probably the best endorsement online that Timms Ukes has.
Now I have UAS again. Dammit.

Thanks Nickie - credit of course here to Mr Timms. He's a magician!

Last edited:
Hey, he can only make so many, and chooses to sell them on eBay. Most I've seen there have been Buy It Now. This one is an auction, and bids are already well above the usual BIN price. That's what auctions are about, the selling price ends up being whatever the winning bidder is willing to pay. Good for him, I say! The auction format allows more potential buyers to participate, while with the BIN, if you're not paying attention, it is usually gone very quickly. It will be interesting to see how high it goes, especially when you see some other new sopranos approaching $1k.

Last edited:
Hey, he can only make so many, and chooses to sell them on eBay. Most I've seen there have been Buy It Now. This one is an auction, and bids are already well above the usual BIN price. Good for him, I say! It will be interesting to see how high it goes.

Yes, it’s absolutely good for him. His occasional auctions give everyone an opportunity to get a Timms. These could go for much more than his usual asking price. If you’re in the market AlohaKine, it’s as good a time as any to make a bid.

I think the prices will never be as low as before Baz's review again. People are going crazy. Thankfully I already have my Timms :cool:

I think they will. He occaionally puts them on auction and they go higher, but then in time he puts them on Buy It Now again.

I think they will. He occaionally puts them on auction and they go higher, but then in time he puts them on Buy It Now again.

Man I feel so lucky to have snatched a 17 fret BIN this summer!

Ditto - mine was about 3rd or 4th try. I 'believe' he is stopping building now for winter break, but during the summer and autumn months they go up quite regularly.

Wow, I guess so!

When shipping to , I wonder if these get hung up in customs for the CITIES rosewood thing?

auction.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom