Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Thank you maki66! That is a great link on the french polish AND you led me to explore the hill guitar site, which led me to find another updated page on the care of French Polish with additional detail. It is worth a book mark!

http://www.hillguitar.com/website/ca...nchpolish.html

The outstanding finish that Ms. Timms applies to these wonderful ukuleles that Ken produces is indeed beautiful. It is great to know that the finish can be repaired easily by someone who is experienced with the wonders of shellac. The finish on these ukuleles is, as Baz has written, much like the finest quality antique furniture...only new!

Default Timms ukes serial numbers

For anyone interested, when I asked Ken Timms about my Timms serial number, he explained his serial number system to me as follows:

The first 2 numbers are the sequence of ukes strung that day, the next 2 numbers are the day of the month, next 2 numbers are the month, and last 2 numbers are the year. So the serial number basically represents the date of completion, when he strings up the new instrument.

For example, a Timms uke with SN# 01220516 would be May 22nd, 2016

01: 1st finished uke strung that day
    22: 22nd day of the month
    05: Month of May
    16: Year 2016

Happy strumming!
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

I have both 1930 Martin Style 0 and a Timms soprano, and the Timms compares very favorable to the Martin. His work is both visually and aurally excellent.

My Timms Soprano serial number is 01021211, so first uke on 2 December, 2011.

I got it 2nd hand on eBay, from a gent in the UK who said he plays guitar, bought the uke, and just never played it.
    What I paid, shipped, was about what my Maximum bid before shipping was for a new one.
    I need a better case for it - I currently have it in a Phitz case that they sold me as a soprano case, but is a concert case, and I have it lined with wool to prevent movement.

The only thing that I'm not 100% in love with are the friction tuners - I really do prefer Peghed or Gotoh UPT tuners. That being said, these are the best friction tuners I have ever used.

I laughed when I read that Barry called the Timms a "UAS killer", until I realized I haven't bought another ukulele since I got mine, over a year ago.

-Kurt
    Last edited by ksiegel; 11-10-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I laughed when I read that Barry called the Timms a "UAS killer", until I realized I haven't bought another ukulele since I got mine, over a year ago.

-Kurt
    Genuinely meant it!!
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Genuinely meant it!!
    That's my point - I didn't think of it that way, but that has been the effect. I haven't wanted to buy another since I got my Timms.
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

When I watched this review, I noted that I had never seen Baz grin and bubble over an ukulele like this. I don't care for soprano ukes (please don't kill me), but I wanted one of Ken Timm's ukes after seeing this.
    Barry's review is probably the best endorsement online that Timms Ukes has.
    Now I have UAS again. Dammit.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thanks Nickie - credit of course here to Mr Timms. He's a magician!
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thread Information