Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Yes, that's a sweet looking koa Timms. Too bad about that top distortion, looks like bellying, like an old guitar. I always though that low humidity, paired with many years of string tension caused that. But that uke is less than 2 years old, what would cause it to belly like that so soon? Perhaps thin flamed koa is weaker for a top wood? It looks like the bridge is tilting, due to the bellying. Have you ever seen a Martin soprano do that?

Too bad they don't make a mini Bridge Doctor to flatten that out, as in the guitar world. Even if they did, good luck getting in there to install it.
    I have read of that happening with some instruments, both vintage and new. It seems that those with thinner tops, which can be incredibly resonant can have this. I seem to recall some luthiers saying it was not a problem as it reaches a point, but does not go farther. I'll see if I can find some of those discussions.

Dishing on bellying: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...g+jimmybookout

Post #33 said: "This is one of the problems with using figured koa for instrument tops...the longitudinal stiffness is not great and can be quite uneven from inch to inch as the flame figure undulates. The stuff is unpredictable."

Also "Building on the Edge": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fxm...eature=g-all-u
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-13-2018 at 05:17 AM.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a ukulele player, then always be a ukulele player
    Unknown

Indeed - I have had the same conversations with luthiers. A bit of bowing is to be expected and not actually a problem. You can find it on some of the greatest luthier ukes on the planet.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

OK who snagged that little koa beauty?

This issue has had me a bit freaked out honestly. My Kala sopranino has slight bowling in front of the bridge using white Aquila strings. My few year old Timms arrived today and sadly Ive spent more time staring at the top than playing it...

This has to change now.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I believe the seller decided to hang onto it.

How does it play?

The Kala sopranino or the timms... O_o lol

After bonding with my chocolate beauty for wow... a couple hours now I'm quite happy. Even with these clear string it came with, I'm into the feel and sound of Aquila reds.

I'm not the greatest player and that is AOK, with the tonalities of this ukulele I could get lost simply plucking the open E string.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Thread Information