Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke Iíve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?

Quote Originally Posted by timeconsumer View Post
    I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke I’ve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?
    FWIW- there is one on the marketplace right now

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...rano-with-case

I've never played either, but if I was buying a soprano, I think I'd feel safer with a Timms. Buying a vintage uke can be a toss up.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke Iíve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?
    Good Luck friend my advice as one who has hunted/ missed/ waited and finally had that special Timms cross my path is just that, be prepared to wait for your Timms to find you. Then pull the plug and buy it they dont usually last long.

~AL
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I just registered with this forum because I really want a Ken Timms uke. The nicest uke I’ve played so far is the £1,200 (new) Martin 2 uke in a store on Denmark Street, which was wildly more expensive than I could ever afford, but unfortunately it set the standard for me. Would you guys recommend a Timms over that one?
    I've never owned a Martin, so I can't really make a comparison, but I have nothing but good things to say about my Timms soprano. It has a brilliant, sparkling jangle. It's got a ton of volume, and it can take a real thrashing without becoming all muddy sounding. The intonation is nearly perfect all the way up the fretboard, and the action is low and light as a feather all the way up the fretboard too.

Just about the worst thing I can say is that it has got a 36mm nut, and some folks prefer that.

If you'd rather spend $600 than $1200 I don't see how you could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    Just about the worst thing I can say is that it has got a 36mm nut, and some folks prefer that.

I certainly do - large hands -wider nuts on sopranos are a must for me.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Simply, yes. (Though I know Ken personally, so I'm potentially biased, but OTOH I bought one of his ukes from him for real money ...). I wouldn't swap mine for a modern Martin.

Whether I'd choose a Timms over a 20s Style 0 Martin is a closer call - that's what Ken based his work on, and here it's a trade off between the history of the Martin and the reliable quality Ken makes. Depends on the Martin, I'd guess.

But, as I say quite regularly, Ken makes a better Martin Uke than Martin makes nowadays.

Go to eBay, set up a search for Ken's ukes, and then just buy one. As you can tell from this thread, there is no problem reselling it if you don't bond! And it won't cost you £1,200.

I see a lovely koa Timms over on the Flea Market Music site

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

This one is making me drool.

Yes, that's a sweet looking koa Timms. Too bad about that top distortion, looks like bellying, like an old guitar. I always though that low humidity, paired with many years of string tension caused that. But that uke is less than 2 years old, what would cause it to belly like that so soon? Perhaps thin flamed koa is weaker for a top wood? It looks like the bridge is tilting, due to the bellying. Have you ever seen a Martin soprano do that?

Despite the beauty of that uke, end even if that dishing has stabilized, and will go no further, I know that seeing it, and the tilted bridge, would bug the heck out of me every time I picked it up.

Too bad they don't make a mini Bridge Doctor to flatten that out, as in the guitar world. Even if they did, good luck getting in there to install it.

6.jpg

Body.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-13-2018 at 06:10 AM.

I've not played a Martin style 2 soprano, so I cannot comment on whether I would choose a Ken Timms over a Martin style 2, but I'm very happy with mine and I don't ever feel the need to look at other sopranos in any price range. I do have the pleasure of owning a Ken Timms style 0 soprano and for me, there is nothing missing in the overall appearance, sound, feel and playability. To me it sounds how a traditional quality soprano ukulele should sound and more. Mine has a 37mm nut width which is very comfortable for my average size hands, I feel this is a big plus point compared to the narrower nut width of the Martin style 2. Although 1mm does not seem a huge difference, on a soprano it makes significant enough a difference for me. I also like that it is hand built in the UK. Kens Ukes really are great value for what you get, very affordable in comparison to the Martin style 2 you mention, though the Martin may also be a great uke.

Thread Information