Ken Timms Mahogany Soprano - REVIEW

It seems to me that the last three posts above clearly show that special arrangements are needed for purchase and that my definition of effective availability is valid.

You are wrong. They are available if you look. There has been one on Flea Market for 10 days.

Let it go Graham. You screwed up a delightful thread about a wonderful builder and ukulele. Serious, let it go!

You are wrong. They are available if you look. There has been one on Flea Market for 10 days.

Let it go Graham. You screwed up a delightful thread about a wonderful builder and ukulele. Serious, let it go!

Thanks Vick, but let’s get things right.

1) I asked some open questions and feel that the response towards me was unjustified and unfriendly. There was no need for that unhelpful response and if anything has spoilt this thread then I feel that the negative responses to me are responsible for that. As I said earlier something along the lines of #14 would have been constructive.

2) I’m more than happy for the mod’s to delete everything on this thread after the original post and have offered that already.

3) If you haven’t done it already then please read the whole thread and then accept that my definition of availability might not match yours. In case you’re wondering my definition is repeated in post #20, it’s just above my comments (from #20) that you used in your post #21.

Seriously, when asking people to accept your ideas you also need a willingness to understand those of others and an acceptance that their perspective might be different from yours. Respect works both ways.

I don’t expect to post on this thread again, if you had not posted then my earlier one (#20) would have been my last.

Last edited:
BTW- It was fun to see Baz's elation over this uke. He was absolutely giddy.

My thoughts exactly. It was a well done review accompanied by unbridled enthusiasm on Baz's part. Ken builds an exceptional uke which I would love to own, if only it had side dots.

A debate about "effective availability" of Timms ukes is silly. Are Timms ukes hard to get? Somewhat. Certainly not available in mass quantities at Ukes-R-Us. Are they unavailable to the general public? Hardly. Most all new ones are sold on eBay, an open, public marketplace where anyone can win. There have been 4 sold there in the past month alone, and 6 used ones here on UU in the last year. That old saying about the early bird getting the worm? That worm is there for all to get, it's the early birds that are successful. Good prey is worth a good hunt.

And equating Timms uke admiration with voyeurism? Really? OK, I admit...I like to watch...(videos of folks playing Timms ukes well) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well this thread went rather nutty.

Such a shame as when I've just reviewed the highest rated instrument I have written about in 8 years, over 160 or more instruments, made by a very nice chap in his own workshop - you kind of hope that would be the focus. Not trying to pick holes in the damn thing.

Even if he made one per year and you had to walk on hot coals to buy one I'd still review it the same, and people would STILL buy them. As it is, it's really no more difficult than using eBay..

My apologies to Ken for a thread that should have been a celebration for him turning into madness.

Baz- thanks for another great review!

A Ken TImms soprano has been at the top of my wish-list for some time now, I just need to raise the funds. :)

I purchased one of Kens sopranos last month. It was on for more than a couple of days before I got to it and there were quite a few watching. It was not a bidding auction, there was a set price of £325. That has got to be the best bang for your buck for a soprano ukulele.

This one is hand built and beautiful to look at and to hold. Hard to describe the feeling when you pick up and play it, there is something about it.

I think mine has a special magic power within it. When I go to pick up my tenor ukulele, I hear this little voice in the distance. A beautifully resonating, dare I say slightly twangy voice. I know where it's coming from as I've heard it before. It really doesn't like to be left in its new hard case. I have to put my tenor down. I have no control over it. But that's okay with me :)

Mine will never be available to the masses. You can't put a price on an instrument with such special magical voodoo powers. (Also, it is my boss and what it says goes)

Last edited:
Agree with all of that Clivey!

I got mine the first time I tried it (year 2016. Ebay. Not 'buy it now' as now! Only Bids). It was my second ukulele. I was, and am, a total newbie but It was recommended here when I asked for a "good" soprano. I was so lucky because I bougth it the same day I asked it. CML told me that Ebay had a new one at that moment. I'm sure it's going to be very very difficult to sell it any day. It's a pleasure just to have it.
It's as good as this review says. Mr. Timms has a very good support if any problem. I can say it.
Great review, Baz. I tried martin strings and WoW!
Greetings.

I got mine the first time I tried it (year 2016. Ebay. Not 'buy it now' as now! Only Bids). It was my second ukulele. I was, and am, a total newbie but It was recommended here when I asked for a "good" soprano. I was so lucky because I bougth it the same day I asked it. CML told me that Ebay had a new one at that moment. I'm sure it's going to be very very difficult to sell it any day. It's a pleasure just to have it.
It's as good as this review says. Mr. Timms has a very good support if any problem. I can say it.
Great review, Baz. I tried martin strings and WoW!

Greetings.

Nice profile pic. Your little one not ready for the Timms yet? Or perhaps the Timms is not ready for your little one :)

I agree with CliveyG about the magic powers. I saw one go on sale from a UU member in the U.S. and quickly snatched it up. When it first arrived, I was wowed by its beauty and craftsmanship but I didn't play it much because I was a bit embarrassed I had bought so hastily as I really didn't have the money and felt I didn't play well enough to deserve such a beautiful impulse purchase. Later I wrote Mr. Timms on UU about it wondering the rationale the neck was slightly thin compared to my vintage Martin, but I got no answer and it sat. Then one day I took it out to admire it and played it all day and it sang to me with its Worth Browns, so resonant. It is perfect and will never be sold. It is getting a bit beat up from all that play, adding character, I suppose. Almost everyday it is taken out, even if just for a few strums before I go to work if that is all I have time for, it makes me feel like I am taking care of myself! Very resonant for fingerstyle and great if strummed hard. If someone knows how to care for the finish besides wiping it down, let me know. I taught myself a fan stroke on it and the lower top bout took a bit of a beating while I was figuring it out. In my humble opinion, the Timms is better than my 3 martins. I have no need for another mahogany soprano and can't imagine ever selling it. UAS cured. I intend to play the hell out of it and someday it will be go to someone who will appreciate it the way I do.

I agree with CliveyG about the magic powers. I saw one go on sale from a UU member in the U.S. and quickly snatched it up. When it first arrived, I was wowed by its beauty and craftsmanship but I didn't play it much because I was a bit embarrassed I had bought so hastily as I really didn't have the money and felt I didn't play well enough to deserve such a beautiful impulse purchase. Later I wrote Mr. Timms on UU about it wondering the rationale the neck was slightly thin compared to my vintage Martin, but I got no answer and it sat. Then one day I took it out to admire it and played it all day and it sang to me with its Worth Browns, so resonant. It is perfect and will never be sold. It is getting a bit beat up from all that play, adding character, I suppose. Almost everyday it is taken out, even if just for a few strums before I go to work if that is all I have time for, it makes me feel like I am taking care of myself! Very resonant for fingerstyle and great if strummed hard. If someone knows how to care for the finish besides wiping it down, let me know. I taught myself a fan stroke on it and the lower top bout took a bit of a beating while I was figuring it out. In my humble opinion, the Timms is better than my 3 martins. I have no need for another mahogany soprano and can't imagine ever selling it. UAS cured. I intend to play the hell out of it and someday it will be go to someone who will appreciate it the way I do.

Hey Sharpshin. Some info on French polish, which I have been told is the preferred finish on concertinas due to the acoustic transparency.

http://www.hillguitar.com/website/news/tech_notes/french_polish.html

Baz, thank you yet again for a masterful review. I wish you great joy of your Awsome Timms soprano!

My pleasure maki66 - and that's a very helpful link. Thanks

Agreed. I think that last time he was this "I'm Not Worthy!" excited was the Blackbird Clara.

So glad this thread got back on to the thread it should have been on - a damn fine ukulele!

Top Bottom