Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

Thanks so much Linda.

And BTW, TCK did a whole radio show a few years back on The Chocolate Drops. Excellent stuff. Have you heard Rhiannon Giddens' version of Forever Young w/ Iron & Wine? One of my faves.

Heading off to listen now! Thanks for that!

1a. Alan, so sorry that such a tragedy visited your community. Thoughts are with you and the rest of Sutherland Springs and Wilson County.

1b. Sorry Sean to hear about Denali. I hope the whiskey helped a little.

2. I first heard Courtney Barnett on NPR’s All Songs Considered, where she has since played a Tiny Desk Concert (definitely check this out if you have not yet heard of it). This song is from her first full length, “Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit”, which was released in 2015. Barnett was one of the 1st artists that came to mind and I especially related to this particular song because I wasn’t quite ready to move from San Francisco when we did (even though I knew it was time) and I often wondered about the lives people lived in all the houses we visited before the one we finally chose.

Anyway, here is a flailing attempt at Depreston.

Another of the musicians I immediately thought of was Julien Baker, but I can’t make it through any of her songs without starting to get choked up. So, if anyone has a heart of stone but the voice of an angel and is still casting about for something to play this week...

Last edited:
So, I saw there was some Ed bashing on here, so I decided to pick a side. Just kidding. We were working on this before all of the Ed mockery started, but only just got time to record. Honestly, I'm not the biggest Ed Sheeran fan, but this one has special meaning for us now.

Jamestown Revival's first album came out in 2014, and their second "The Education of a Wandering Man" in 2016.
I did a song from their first album back in season 248.
This song is from their second and is called Wandering Man.

A not to be missed season moment right here folks!

So, I saw there was some Ed bashing on here, so I decided to pick a side. Just kidding. We were working on this before all of the Ed mockery started, but only just got time to record. Honestly, I'm not the biggest Ed Sheeran fan, but this one has special meaning for us now.

I don't normally like to add two songs in a row, but there have been a few posts in between, especially a comment on the so excellent Thinking Out Loud, so now I get a chance to play my latest favourite song.
Nataniel Rateliff has been around since the early naughties, apparently, but in the incarnation with the Night Sweats, only since 2015.
If this song only encourages you to look at vid1 and vid2 of his, then my work here is done.

Some fine music out there to be discovered thank you Fred.
Just listening to Mandolin Orange - wonderful stuff imho.
Waltz About Whiskey is a special.
Lots of other real good songs too.

I did the same thing you did, Pa. I've been trying to get to all of the new groups I don't know (which is most of them) once a Seasonista has brought them to this week. I really liked Mandolin Orange too.

Fred, I don't see a playlist. I know at the beginning when you had two nearly identical threads there was one set up. My hunch is it was on the one you had taken down.

Fred, I don't see a playlist. I know at the beginning when you had two nearly identical threads there was one set up. My hunch is it was on the one you had taken down.

That is really weird. I've been maintaining the playlist all along. I had it set up in my original intro posting. I did not have "identical threads". A moderator must have done something. In any event, I have posted a link to the playlist in my intro posting. Just checked and it's working. Thank you for letting me know.

Last edited:
That is really weird. I've been maintaining the playlist all along. I had it set up in my original intro posting. I did not have "identical threads". A moderator must have done something. In any event, I have posted a link to the playlist in my intro posting. Just checked and it's working. Thank you for letting me know.

Ya that is weird. There was two of them for a short time :/ Thanks for putting it up :)

Top Bottom