Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

This one is by Tanya Montana Coe, the daughter of David Allan Coe, but she's not associated with her father at all. She just started in music a few years ago. This is low budget indie stuff, not on a major label. She's not a great singer or songwriter, but I like her, she had a style that draws me in. I had to guess at some of her lyrics here, couldn't make out exactly what she was singing at times.

I am on the road traveling today. I will begin commenting on the videos on YouTube this evening. I can't wait!
    Flat flip flies straight.

Here's another opening song from a debut album i love. Courtney Barnett released her first EP in 2012 or 2013 I think, and the album came out in 2015. She's the kind of songwriter I'd love to emulate. Makes completely mundane situations completely fascinating using brilliant imagery in her lyrics.

Here's my take.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Why I keep trying stuff from such great singers, I do not know, but anyway Flying Colors self-titled Debut Album is from 2011. This is from their second album and is called Peaceful Harbours. If only I had a voice like Casey's .
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top, Mahalo Steel String Electric
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.
    Bass: Harley Benton Kahuna CLU Bass.

I've done Flatt/Scruggs covers by the Earls of Leicester before (Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatt ... get it?), so why not again? The Earls are a traditional bluegrass supergroup assembled by the great Jerry Douglas comprising progressive bluegrass/Americana players who insist on playing everything in a traditional style. Even the stage dress is classic Flatt & Scruggs. They've won a ton of awards since getting together in 2013. My inspiration here is loosely based on this video from the wonderful Kent Knorr of the N.C. Ukulele Academy who really rocks it out. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ge0ZnmFOzk)

KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Great first day! I've already been introduced to several new artists I will be checking out. Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Flat flip flies straight.

Let's Get Out Of Here While We're Young - JD McPherson

He may be a newer artist, but a lot of his stuff sounds old. I first caught wind of JD's music after his debut album made some album of the year lists in 2012. This song is off his newest record, his third, which just came out a month ago. He's moved toward a more modern, heavier sound on this latest release, but the old influences are evident.

"human" by rag'n'bone man

Probably not my greatest effort. Certainly not my greatest week. We just put down my first, and eldest dog. Sucks. Whiskey helps.
    This is by Tyler Childers. I have no idea who he is, except that he does this song, which I love.
    I might just get to that boy band request you had Fred if I see TCK sometime soon. In the meantime.....

I would be remiss in my ukulele duties if I did not post a Lost Dog Street Band Song, so I will do just that. These guys are fantastic if you have not yet responded to me beating you over the head with their work (I think everyone has figured out they had best go or I will never shut up), and this is my favorite song of theirs...so I think I completely stuffed it as my friend Davey says (there is a reason I have not played it yet). Oh well- maybe it will lead you the original which is hauntingly sad and beautiful. Anyway, I have played a bunch of their songs, and we are just gonna add this one to the list.
    In the winter of 2010, Benjamin Tod, Ashley Mae, and their dog Copper formed Lost Dog Street Band after their former project, Barefoot Surrender, broke up. Also a band worth checking out on the old Spotify. In any event...I should just play the damn sang and see what shakes out huh? Incidentally...they are also a husband and wife team. WAY better than the one I usually stick here.
    Here's your song Freddie- Excellent theme mate.
    Last edited by TCK; 11-05-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Thread Information