Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

frisbee fred

Reaction score

As you can see this is a Season about "boy bands"...................................

Ok, just kidding. Record songs by artists/groups that debuted after January 1, 2010. If the artist/group recorded an older song you can do the older song so long as you tell me in the write-up who the artist/group is that you are referring to. In each Season I always learn about a song or artist that I hadn't heard before. The purpose of this Season is to focus on the newer folks.

For the songwriters you can do a song that you have written since January 1, 2010 that has not yet been recorded for the Seasons.

Two song limit. Multi-tracking, multiple instruments, etc. are fine so long as the ukulele is front and center and we can see you playing it.

Locally made Vermont Maple Syrup will be the prize. As those who have won the syrup in the past can attest this will be a life-changing experience for anyone who has not tried it.

PLAYLIST

Don't start until after midnight Hawaiian time tonight and the Season will end 8 days later on Sunday at midnight Hawaiian time.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Nice theme, Fred! I think we've had a 21st century-based season, but not one set up exactly like this. I look forward to our group's inventiveness.

Ooooooh. This should be FUN! And a challenge for many people as well. I remember the difficulty that people faced when I did the Hottest 100 season, and I imagine that this will be more of the same.

Nice theme, Fred! I think we've had a 21st century-based season, but not one set up exactly like this. I look forward to our group's inventiveness.

132 was a similar theme but this is different in that it has to be a debut album or recording made since 2010.
Which means we really are looking at new artists to the industry since 2010 which makes it very interesting Fred!
Off to check out when The Asylum Street Spankers were formed and when they first recorded.

Asylum street goes way into the nineties regretfully. The syrup is life changing. I concur ;)

Even I'm having a little bit of trouble coming up with artists. I've had to google some. I imagine others are having the same issues, so I'm going to share my shortlist at this point. Obviously this won't be to everyone's taste. It has a bit of a psychedelic feel to it for some reason, but I'm not sure why that is.

Milky Chance
Glass Animals
Ásgeir
London Grammar
Meg Mac
Megan Washington
Vera Blue
The Delta Riggs
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Nick Murphy (AKA Chet Faker)
Alt J
Vance Joy

A bunch of these guys have done covers as well (which Rob discovered in my Hottest 100 season).

Keep in mind that old musicians you know may put together new bands. For example, Peter Buck of R.E.M. and Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney just put out an album under the name Filthy Friends -- Wikipedia says the act started in 2012 to perform David Bowie covers.

I've done "mix CD" playlists of my favorite songs the past three years. Mostly alternative rock. You'd need to check Wikipedia to make sure when a band started, but these are mostly new acts:
2014 playlist
2015 playlist
2016 playlist

Last edited:
Keep in mind that old musicians you know may put together new bands. For example, Peter Buck of R.E.M. and Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney just put out an album under the name Filthy Friends -- Wikipedia says the act started in 2012 to perform David Bowie covers.

Good point. That would open up bands like Dope Lemon (Angus Stone's side project).

Another thing that I just thought of is that artists from TV shows like *insert country here*'s Got Talent and the Voice have done a LOT of covers...

Last edited:
Just to clarify if a band say formed in 2006 but didn't release their first demo until 2010, followed by their first major label release in 2013... would it count?

Awesome theme Fred! Right up my street!

Even I'm having a little bit of trouble coming up with artists. I've had to google some. I imagine others are having the same issues, so I'm going to share my shortlist at this point. Obviously this won't be to everyone's taste. It has a bit of a psychedelic feel to it for some reason, but I'm not sure why that is.

Milky Chance
Glass Animals
Ásgeir
London Grammar
Meg Mac
Megan Washington
Vera Blue
The Delta Riggs
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Nick Murphy (AKA Chet Faker)
Alt J
Vance Joy

A bunch of these guys have done covers as well (which Rob discovered in my Hottest 100 season).

Who ARE these people???????

a Grace VanderWaal song. Never heard of her before today but apparently she was 12 when she won some talent show in the US and is only 13 now.
New Kids on the Block indeed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom