Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

Greetings,

My second submission is a Colbie Calliat song. I did this one way back in a prior season, but decided to record it again for this one because I like it so much.

Ciao

Shades of Hate - Louise Distras 2013

A song from up-and-coming punk singer-songwriter, Louise Distras - currently the hardest working woman in rock'n'roll, always on tour somewhere in the UK, Europe or North America! - from her 2013 début album "Dreams From the Factory Floor" (Pirate Press Records). Check out "Hand You Hold" from the same album.

Her new album should be coming out in the new year. From what I've heard of it, I can't wait. All those thousands of miles & thousands of hours touring have really brought a lyrical quality to her new material to add to the raw power of her existing work.

Photosynthesis - Frank Turner, 2009

Frank Turner - the male Louise Distras! - spent the early part of the Noughties fronting a hardcore punk band called "Million Dead". When they folded, he began a career as as solo artist, almost single-handedly, if not creating, then certainly reviving, the acoustic punk genre. His first solo album "Sleep is for the Weak" came out in 2007. This number (also covered by Dead Man's Uke ), appeared on his 2nd album, "Songs of Love, Ire & Hate", which came out in 2008 (not 2009, as I said in the video).

One more night

After a few weeks of findings songs but not managing to record them, I finally managed to make a recording.

I chose something by Michael Kiwanuka, a British artist who has some nices songs playing on the radio station I usually listen to.

Aloha! Crazy week again for me. There is a local artist here named Blayne Asing who released his debut album "Young, Old Soul" in 2015 and earned a Na Hoku Hanohano Award (Hawaiian Grammy) for most promising new artist. He is a prolific songwriter and has a style similar to James Taylor.
I covered a song off his debut album entitled "Poor Man Blues" and I figured it out the old fashioned way, just listening to it.
It was fairly simple since it was just blues, but I enjoyed the challenge. I just wish I could sing as well as he does!
Check out his song "Molokai On My Mind" that is his current single in heavy rotation on local radio.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Angel Olsen is up there with Courtney Barnett as one of my favorite new artists. Here’s my cover of “Intern”, which is harder to sing than I thought.

Beautiful Blue Sky

Here's my second song for the week. I think this is another one I first heard on the KEXP new music podcast. This is by a Canadian band called Ought that first recorded in 2012. This song was maybe my favorite song of 2015. To me, it feels sort of like a next-generation version of the Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime". The music is fairly simple, but the band gets into a groove with it that lets the original extend a couple of minutes before and after the vocals.

A last minute entry. This is from the Texas Gentlemen, a loose group of studio musicians, mostly from Dallas, who love country music. A CD, TX Jelly, was produced in 2017. This song was on it.

What a great end to the Season, Myrna! I've had such a blast and have found several new artists I will be listening to.

Thanks Fred for hosting. What a theme! Seems like as of late hosts are trying to make me think :/

Congratulations to UkuleleLibrarian for winning the real Vermont maple syrup. Your life will never be the same :music:

Thanks for great week Fred!
And so agree on your syrup recipient choice!
Benji and Ashley and family sure brought some special season moments this week.
Pan cakes at the Martin's house?

Terrific Season, Fred. Well done. And Vermont maple syrup is indeed extraordinary. Second only to Wisconsin maple syrup. :p

Top Bottom