Thread: Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

a song by a couple of new kids on the block
    played by a couple of new kids on the block
    who made new duo today.
    now that's new, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    "come on over" by royal blood

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

My chosen new kid is Rebecca Ferguson a British singer and songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when was runner up in the Uk X factor.This song is from her album"lady sings the blues" a tribute to Billie Holliday.Played on my guitalele tuned in e,on the top four strings as a baritone Uke

I was torn this week on whether to do this song myself or set Recovering Bassist onto it because it seemed right up his street. Then I thought, por que no los dos?

Turns out he'd heard of them and gladly agreed to lend me some banjo uke. Guzzler' s already done a great version of this too but here is ours. Unfortunately in the midst of processing or editing or something Trent's been transported back to a 1970s kung foo film. He sounds good though!

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    George Ezra is another one that I considered. I love his unique low vocals!

I always find James Corden's introductions to these stars so much fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACLY8BZySFs
    His singing style reminds me of the lead singer of the Crash Test Dummies
    Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 11-09-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Hi, Fred! My only excuse for this is that it's been raining all day and I've been stuck inside. I was thinking that Bon Iver would qualify as being post-2010, but they were just slightly too early; however it has been covered by many newer artists since 2010.
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

My favorite vocalist right now is a guy named Puddles Pity Party. Really. He did this Sia song on his debut 2015 album, "Live At Joe's Pub." Boy, I wish I could sing like that guy.

Randy - Harry122

I thought for sure that this would be one of those Seasons that I just could not find a number for. And then I remembered - a couple of months ago, in a particular mood, I worked out a crummy arrangement by a relatively new artist. It didn't seem to be coming together, so I let it languish.

Then this Season topic. I looked the fellow up, and his first real record was in 2011. Hooray! Too bad my version stunk.

But I went back to it and I think it came out OK. And I think Ed Sheeran is a talented guy, regardless of his massive popularity, and I really like this song a lot. I added a bit of a line, appropriate for those of us closer to 70 than 23, and it's a live take, complete with mistake. But hope you like it.

I'm pretty out of the scene, new music-wise, especially locally. So I enterd "best new portland music" into a search engine, and I found out about the Lithics. They sound great, so I did my best to work up a uke version of Excuse Generator.

Thanks for the new music challenge, Fred, it's always fun to check new sounds!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

We formed "The Saturday Blues Project" after said date, so I thought of doing one of our songs. Then I was looking through old files of our early stuff and came across a rough take of a song that we never developed into our repertory. Revisiting it, I thought it deserved a wider audience and I will now put pressure on the lads to get it revived with the band too.

So, I took the rough rehearsal mix and added a Uke Bass and a 6 String Tenor as well as doubling the original vocal. I also had to edit the structure a little as in the version I had there is a space left for a sax solo.

I think this was in my head back when we laid down the first draft because the theme of that week's season was Nursery Rhymes. However as I wrote something else for that week and the band never developed the song beyond a rough draft, I think I ran out of time to include it on that season. So as this season isn't theme related, but rather band related, I thought I'd include it here.

PS In case you'd like to hear more of our band, our first albums are available on both Bandcamp and Spotify. Just type "The Saturday Blues Project" into the search engines there.

Who knows? Maybe someone who is stuck this week might even do a cover of another song of ours from one of those albums. If so, I can provide you with lyrics and chords.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Thread Information