Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

Been waiting for ages for an excuse to try a Savages song on the uke.

They're an all-girl post-punk four piece. Joy Division crossed with Siouxsie and the Banshees but even better. This is the opening track from their debut album which came out in 2013 and it's an absolute masterclass in how to build up a song and start an album with a punch to the gut. I've tried to convey that here.

I saw them at Reading Festival in 2013 alongside Green Day, Buffy Clyro, System of a Down, Johnny Marr and loads of other great bands, their set (which was on at the same time as Eminem) is the best I've ever seen and this song in particular was fantastic.

https://youtu.be/FetczETnwpA

^here's a vid of this song at that set, I was probably just in front of the cameraman.

Last edited:
Who ARE these people???????

That's why I posted the list. So you guys could look them up if you are stuck. It's not exhaustive by any means. They're just the ones that came to mind.

When I was practicing this, my son stuck his head in the door with this goofy smile on his face. I said, "Yes, I'm doing 'Daniel in the Den' by Bastille." He said, "That was great!" Ha ha.

Last edited:
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Oh yes, I challenge anyone to do something from their "Nonagon Infinity" album. In fact, I challenge some people just to give it a listen.;)

I found that Black Dub released their only album in 2010, I would love to see more of them but I guess it is not going to happen.
Black Dub was a "supergroup" composed of Brian Blade on Drum, Trixie Whitley on Vocals,Drums and Keys, Daniel Lanois on Vocals, Guitars and Keys, Daryl Johnson on Bass. I never heard of Trixie before someone pointed me to Black Dub, and she is a great singer, you should really listen to the original of this to get to the real strength of this song. But anyway here is my take on I believe in you by Black Dub.

George Ezra first appeared in 2013, and had a hit with this in 2014. His debut (and so far, only) album was the 3rd best seller in the UK that year.

a Grace VanderWaal song. Never heard of her before today but apparently she was 12 when she won some talent show in the US and is only 13 now.
New Kids on the Block indeed.

Yes, she won America’s Got Talent writing her own songs on and for the Uke. She’s quite the phenom.

Keep in mind that old musicians you know may put together new bands. For example, Peter Buck of R.E.M. and Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney just put out an album under the name Filthy Friends -- Wikipedia says the act started in 2012 to perform David Bowie covers.

I've done "mix CD" playlists of my favorite songs the past three years. Mostly alternative rock. You'd need to check Wikipedia to make sure when a band started, but these are mostly new acts:
2014 playlist
2015 playlist
2016 playlist

This will bail me out. Lots of new collaborations involve geezers :eek:ld:

This Season is tough for me cause I don't to hardly any new music. Heck, as a kid I listened to old stuff. And at the risk if sounding like a grumpy old man, some of the new traditional country singers I checked out aren't that strong of vocalists, but I know one who is, a guy named Mo Pitney. He has that legendary high quality level traditional country voice, so I hope he does real well. He's shown some promise so far. This song itself is old, from the 70's, done originally by Mel Street, who killed himself just as his career was getting into high gear.

This one is by Tanya Montana Coe, the daughter of David Allan Coe, but she's not associated with her father at all. She just started in music a few years ago. This is low budget indie stuff, not on a major label. She's not a great singer or songwriter, but I like her, she had a style that draws me in. I had to guess at some of her lyrics here, couldn't make out exactly what she was singing at times.

I am on the road traveling today. I will begin commenting on the videos on YouTube this evening. I can't wait!

Here's another opening song from a debut album i love. Courtney Barnett released her first EP in 2012 or 2013 I think, and the album came out in 2015. She's the kind of songwriter I'd love to emulate. Makes completely mundane situations completely fascinating using brilliant imagery in her lyrics.

Here's my take.

Why I keep trying stuff from such great singers, I do not know, but anyway Flying Colors self-titled Debut Album is from 2011. This is from their second album and is called Peaceful Harbours. If only I had a voice like Casey's ;).

I've done Flatt/Scruggs covers by the Earls of Leicester before (Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatt ... get it?), so why not again? The Earls are a traditional bluegrass supergroup assembled by the great Jerry Douglas comprising progressive bluegrass/Americana players who insist on playing everything in a traditional style. Even the stage dress is classic Flatt & Scruggs. They've won a ton of awards since getting together in 2013. My inspiration here is loosely based on this video from the wonderful Kent Knorr of the N.C. Ukulele Academy who really rocks it out. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ge0ZnmFOzk)

Great first day! I've already been introduced to several new artists I will be checking out. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Let's Get Out Of Here While We're Young - JD McPherson

He may be a newer artist, but a lot of his stuff sounds old. I first caught wind of JD's music after his debut album made some album of the year lists in 2012. This song is off his newest record, his third, which just came out a month ago. He's moved toward a more modern, heavier sound on this latest release, but the old influences are evident.

Probably not my greatest effort. Certainly not my greatest week. We just put down my first, and eldest dog. Sucks. Whiskey helps.
This is by Tyler Childers. I have no idea who he is, except that he does this song, which I love.
I might just get to that boy band request you had Fred if I see TCK sometime soon. In the meantime.....

I would be remiss in my ukulele duties if I did not post a Lost Dog Street Band Song, so I will do just that. These guys are fantastic if you have not yet responded to me beating you over the head with their work (I think everyone has figured out they had best go or I will never shut up), and this is my favorite song of theirs...so I think I completely stuffed it as my friend Davey says (there is a reason I have not played it yet). Oh well- maybe it will lead you the original which is hauntingly sad and beautiful. Anyway, I have played a bunch of their songs, and we are just gonna add this one to the list.
In the winter of 2010, Benjamin Tod, Ashley Mae, and their dog Copper formed Lost Dog Street Band after their former project, Barefoot Surrender, broke up. Also a band worth checking out on the old Spotify. In any event...I should just play the damn sang and see what shakes out huh? Incidentally...they are also a husband and wife team. WAY better than the one I usually stick here.
Here's your song Freddie- Excellent theme mate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom