What's the deal with clip on tuner on the headstock?

Lapyang

Reaction score
I have read so much about the balance of the ukulele, the weight of the tuners, how geared tuners should not be used on sopranos...etc. But then I have seen so many people, you-tubers, instructional videos showing clip-on tuners on the headstock while they are playing. Did that not increase the weight and throw out the balance of the whole instrument? What's the deal?

Probably balance is not that big a deal. Although I did notice it with a Oscar Shimtz tenor I got off Craig's list.

People do stupid things.........next question.

Seriously though.....It really isn't that big of a deal if it doesn't bother someone.

I have read so much about the balance of the ukulele, the weight of the tuners, how geared tuners should not be used on sopranos...etc. But then I have seen so many people, you-tubers, instructional videos showing clip-on tuners on the headstock while they are playing. Did that not increase the weight and throw out the balance of the whole instrument? What's the deal?

short answer: ignorance (which is bliss for some beginners)

long answer: folks measuring the weights of different sets of tuners (tuning pegs, etc) down to the picogram, or looking for the fulcrum balancing point at the neck heel, are likely NOT the same group of folks on YT that are banging away (usually with a flat-tuned E string), EVEN if they are giving a tutorial, and I noticed MANY folks are STILL not in tune, even IF they have a tuner (as in pitch listening device) on the headstock, so the tuners (as in pitch listening device) in these videos seems to be more 'for show' and maybe these folks think 'it looks cool for video'...

Last edited:
I have been a sponge in the ukulele world, soaking up whatever knowledge I can find. The only person I know of who makes a consistent case for balance is Barry Maz (gotaukulele) who also has a strong opinion on geared tuners on Sopranos. He is 100% entitled to those positions. That said—some people prefer a geared tuner; and I would wager that it is pretty hard to find a ukulele that is drastically off-balance that it would impact your ability to hold or play the ukulele.

Headstock tuners are wonderful in that they stay on your ukulele (sometimes even in a case) and can function even in a crowded room of other ukulele players. Tuning is a constant thing on ukulele—I watched Jake Shimabukuro tune frequently in his performance (sometimes after every song)—so those of us in the lower stratosphere of playing shouldn’t avoid tuning, either.

I wouldn’t worry about it...it is their instrument, not yours, and it is their video, not yours. You can play without the tuner and make videos without a visible tuner. Meanwhile, I’m just going to encourage everyone to keep playing whether they have a tuner on their headstock or not. And if I hear someone whose ukulele is horrendously out of tune (my tolerance is pretty high with up to 50 students playing ukulele at the same time), I will encourage them to tune or ask them if they need help tuning.

I have a headstock tuner (Micro D'Addario) on every one of ukes and bass ukes that doesn't have one built in. I never think about the balance because I always use a leather strap with suede on the inside that holds it in place.

The DAddario Micro tuner weighs like 9 g or so, hardly an issue. Even the bigger Snarks weight only a little over an ounce.

For a long long time I just left the electric tuner on the ukulele. About a year ago I started taking it off a soon as I got my ukulele tuned. I do not know why I started taking it off. Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time trying to justify everything that I do or don't do. I have noticed no difference in my ukulele, or in my ukulele playing, having it on the uke or off the uke.

The only time I've been bothered by the presence of a tuner on an ukulele is when the guys at HMS put one on a Moore Bettah. It seemed criminal ;)

1. Electronic tuners weigh hardly anything these days.

2. A perfectly-balanced ukulele that has drifted out of tune is a bad thing; do not play it until you retune it.

3. A musician glancing at a tuner on the headstock is not as distracting as a musician rooting around in a case looking for the tuner.

4. I wish I could tune perfectly by ear, even in a loud place with other musicians, but it ain't happening.

5. I wish I could repeal the laws of physics so a uke that was in tune 20 minutes ago backstage would still be in tune after 20 minutes under stage lights, but it ain't happening.

6. The tuner on my headstock is easy to grab and lend to somebody who didn't have the foresight to keep a tuner handy. Set a good example for beginners and be the change you want to see in the world.

7. At home none of this matters so much, but if I take the tuner off the headstock and set it down someplace... will I find it again before the cats run off with it?

8. YMMV so don't worry about me or anybody else; do what's right for you.

Last edited:
Tuners on headstocks :-

.....too lazy to put it away.

.....they like watching it.

Personally, I think it distracts, & is an eye sore...... :p

I have Planet Waves Micro tuners clipped on every headstock (my side, almost invisible from the front) basically for reasons 1-7 of acmespaceship's list.
To avoid eye soreness and distraction I switch off the tuner after having tuned the uke - which also has a positive effect on battery life (more than the auto-power-off functionality)

Why others keep their clip-on tuners clipped on regardless of how bulky they are?
Perhaps for reasons #7, #3, #6 (in that order).... or just because - who knows.

I usually play in the same room at home, so once I check tuning it comes off as the ukes rarely goes out of tune.

When I am out and about, I keep it on unless it buzzes/vibrates on the headstock as the difference in room to car to room temperature can throw off the tuning.

For a long long time I just left the electric tuner on the ukulele. About a year ago I started taking it off a soon as I got my ukulele tuned. I do not know why I started taking it off. Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time trying to justify everything that I do or don't do. I have noticed no difference in my ukulele, or in my ukulele playing, having it on the uke or off the uke.

Me too! I've used just about every kind of tuner, from those with built in metronomes, to snarks, to the planet waves micro. I found myself moving to more and more minimalist (or less and less substantial!). The metronome/tuner was the first to go. I wanted a tuner that only did one thing, but did it really well. I used a cheapo reverb tuner for a while, but then found the micro and used that.

Finally, I just took it off and have been using an app on my phone (GuitarTuna). That's for my everyday player. Those that don't get played as often still have the tuners clipped to them, probably in need of new batteries.

The only time I've been bothered by the presence of a tuner on an ukulele is when the guys at HMS put one on a Moore Bettah. It seemed criminal ;)

That makes me crazy too. I've spoken to Andrew about this and he has since sent any offenders to the dungeon to do set up work for a day.

These Planet Wave micro sound hole tuners are currently my favorite as they'll tuck nicely into almost any sound hole. Since they are made "one size fits any instrument" you may have to remove the screw and re bend the spring clip for a snug fit on 'ukulele.

http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDe...uner&sid=eb7e0365-6ac0-4e5e-88b5-538394b0e08b

Attachments

• P1050781.jpg
    P1050781.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 29
I think that a perfectly tuned uke is more important than a perfectly balanced uke. To that end I keep four tuners clipped to my headstock- one tuner dedicated to each string. That way I can get super accurate tuning and, as an added bonus, the extra weight gives me big biceps.

Somewhere on Youtube there's video of James Hill playing with another uke player (who was very good). Before they start, the other guy pulled out his phone, rested it on his knee and tuned his uke. He was obviously using a tuning app, but James joked something like "what, you can't wait to check your messages?". My point being some things are more distracting than others, and a clip on tuner bothers me not at all -- except on a very fine instrument with a perfect finish!!! That's not a worry for me -- although owning a Moore Bettah is on my bucket list. If that ever happens I'll put my phone on my knee.

It's a bit like walking round all day with your toothbrush in your mouth, or with your slippers on. Sure it's handy, and it's your own business, but it certainly looks sloppy. Also, use it to get a basic tuning, and then sweet tune it by ear, they way you really like it. Perhaps that E string actually should be a few cents flat...

It's a bit like walking round all day with your toothbrush in your mouth, or with your slippers on. Sure it's handy, and it's your own business, but it certainly looks sloppy. Also, use it to get a basic tuning, and then sweet tune it by ear, they way you really like it. Perhaps that E string actually should be a few cents flat...
I think that a lot of people leave it on the ukulele so that they don't lose it. My ukulele student doesn't like to leave it on, so most of the time her's is sitting on the table at my house.

Last edited:
Top Bottom