Thread: Recording Equipment As Learning Purposes

Default Recording Equipment As Learning Purposes

Have heard recording yourself is a great learning tool. If using my iPad.... would Garage Band and a decent mike get me there? Any other apps and mike recommendations appreciated. I travel so a compact mike might be best for me.
    Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by bahama.blue; 11-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Don Mo Resonator
    Ken Timms "O"
    OS Tenor OU240SWK
    70's Duke K
    Lehua Mahog Concert
    c.1920's Harmony Soprano

If all you’re doing is recording yourself to hear yourself—you might not even need to buy a microphone. Just record yourself. I like the editing features of Twisted Wave, although apps like forScore (PDF music reader) have a recording function as well.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Was not to impressed w/IPad mic. Thinking a better mic, but don't much about them. Thanks
    Don Mo Resonator
    Ken Timms "O"
    OS Tenor OU240SWK
    70's Duke K
    Lehua Mahog Concert
    c.1920's Harmony Soprano

Have you tried Blue Microphones? http://www.bluemic.com

Outstanding reviews. Luckily for me I have a recording studio. But, I have heard good things about these microphones for Mac users.

The link in my signature below will get you to several threads of recent and previous discussions on these questions and will guide you to find a workable solution.

Some reading and self-educating will go a long way here.

After you're done checking those threads, I'd be happy help you narrow down the options.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Personally, I use a USB mic (Samson Meteor) into Audacity (free) software.
    http://www.audacityteam.org/
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

For a thorough coverage, go through Boolis links.
    This is one of the common questions on this forum.

The brief answer is yes, IPad and a microphone goes a long way.
    The most popular high quality microphone for apple products is the Apogee. It will only work with apple products.
    Blue and Shure also produces some compact microphones that you can plug right into the lightning port.

I have the Shure MV5, which is not the most high end solution, but it works with both iPhone and with my PC through USB, and with my Android tablet through OnTheGo cable ( like any USB device will ).

If you read all the old threads you will find that an audio interface with its own power supply and a non- USB microphone will give you a higher quality, but it sounds like you want the compact easy solution.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I only record the instrument so I use an IRig acoustic ($50) into an android tablet using any sound recording app. Using an apple product the apps you have access to are designed to work with the IRig. The unit fits into a small supplied case about the size of a clunky old contact lens case so it is very portable. As the mics are in the ukulele with this unit small noise like a running fan are usually not picked up like a regular mic.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Thanks all and Boole for the link to past discussions. Went with the Apogee. Sounds like the IRig would have worked as well, though had purchased the Apogee before the post.
    Strum on! Mike
    Don Mo Resonator
    Ken Timms "O"
    OS Tenor OU240SWK
    70's Duke K
    Lehua Mahog Concert
    c.1920's Harmony Soprano

Thanks all and Boole for the link to past discussions. Went with the Apogee. Sounds like the IRig would have worked as well, though had purchased the Apogee before the post.
    Strum on! Mike
    Don Mo Resonator
    Ken Timms "O"
    OS Tenor OU240SWK
    70's Duke K
    Lehua Mahog Concert
    c.1920's Harmony Soprano

Thread Information