Cleaning Advice

Raffy

Reaction score
I've just brought a used mahogany uke. I understand in general it shouldn't be necessary to clean a ukulele, a wipe with the appropriate cloth after playing is usually enough. The top of the neck on the rear below the headstock on this uke feels particularly dirty / grime obviously where it's been held / played.The rest of the uke is fine. I'm not looking for sparkly clean , don't want to loose the character of the uke /wood just to remove some of the grime. Advice on this please ?

I have a solid wood Mainland concert. It gets played a lot. It also goes places and gets stuff spilled, dripped, or slopped on it all the time. My grand daughter also helps me play it and puts her sticky little hands all over it. When she gets done helping me it is usually a mess. I have always just used a clean dish cloth, and some mild soap and water to clean it off. I'm careful not to use a sopping wet dish cloth, just a damp dish cloth, and I always get a fresh one out of the drawer. I wipe it off good after I've cleaned it. It seems to work fine. In three years there has never been any ill effects.

Last edited:
Thanks Rllink, I'll follow the advice & hopefully remove a fair amount of the dirt / grime that's accumulated over time.

I would use a mild solution of Murphy's oil soap. Being a first time after purchase - take off the strings and tuners. Afterwards use a proper guitar and fingerboard spray polish. I have used one for nearly two decades and it still goes on. I guess as it takes so little.

I use a guitar polish (eg Dunlop or similar). It’s probably not necessary but it lasts quite a long time.

Every time I change strings I condition the fretboard. I use Boogie Juice (cleaner in a felt tip marker type dispenser) because it’s convenient.

Last edited:
Many times a damp cloth or paper towel is a good starting point for cleaning a dirty uke.
Then follow up with a good polish, like Dunlop or Virtuoso on gloss finishes. Planet Waves Lemon Oil or Howard’s FeedNWax works on fretboards or oil finishes.

Last edited:
Use a micro fiber cloth , makes a big difference. If those methods dont work well , try some 0000 steel wool .

Thanks for all the input , all taken on board.

ahoy

if listed above does not get it
i find a bit of turpentine on a soft cloth
can work wonders

" note for those who don't know
turpentine is made from tree resin "

so you are using something made from trees
on something made from trees

yours truly
mac

Top Bottom