The Electric Uke Thread

Is anybody using an octave pedal. I was thinking of getting a Mooer MOC1 Octave guitar pedal to play some base lines with. I have a boss RC-1 loop pedal I use when I practice . Any recommendations?

I too have been afflicted with PAS. I use the TC Electronic Sub-Up Octaver. That gives you 1 octave up and two octaves down. It also offers downloadable sound profiles as do many of the other TC Electronic pedals. Check it out on YouTube to see if it might be right for you. I also use the Baggs Para DI and some Strymon pedals.

When I got my Pono MTD on E bay, I didn't know it was "electric". Found that out when it came. Didn't know what to do with it for awhile. Later got a Roland portable amp (so-so but OK to mess around at home). That as neat. Then I found out I could cut CDs using Audacity, an pipe right into the computer, not worrying about background noise. I would highly recommend one. Bought an Oscar Schmidt 28T. Could have gotten the electric one for about $ 30.00 extra. Wish I had. My 2 cents.

My family decided that I needed the Risa TE for Christmas. So I am now the proud owner of a sea foam green one. I'm slowly getting the sound I want dialed in. (I made my own amp/speaker and front ended it with a Joyo American Sound pedal.) I think I want a reverb pedal, but I'm trying hard to fight off pedal acquisition syndrome.

The big question I have floating around is regarding the strings. I know the correct answer to strings, is keep trying new ones until you find the sound and feel you like. So, can someone give me some general guidelines when it comes to choosing my next set of strings. I'm trying to figure out all of the care and feeding requirements of my uke before the need arises.

I have a smaller question about a buzz/hum I'm getting, but I haven't checked everything yet. I think it is my amp not being properly grounded as it is powered from a laptop power supply. I don't think anyone else can even hear it unless I point it out, but I know it's there. I used to run sound for my church, so I know I have a few more places to check.

Finding the buzz was a fun experiment. I finally narrowed it down to the power supply. I was able to splice in a battery, and the buzz went away. I guess I went a little too cheap on that part.

Im currently in the market for an electric baritone - steel stringed - and if not steel stringed, it should sound electric. not like ponos electric that still sound like an acoustic...

...About a year later, still deep in UAS, I saw a Vorzon steel string electric Telecaster style and again jumped in, but again found I had no occasion to play it, and again I sold it... [/URL]

I'm curious about your assessment of the Vorzon! It looks like a great bargain if the quality is there, though I hear they're surprisingly heavy.

I'm curious about your assessment of the Vorzon! It looks like a great bargain if the quality is there, though I hear they're surprisingly heavy.

I've had a Vorson "Les Paul" shaped model - a bargain I got off eBay.

The pickups are OK and it does kinda look cool.
The quality has some issues.

Aside from aesthetic issues, my main issues (at least on mine):

-There IS an adjustable truss rod, but the headstock required some dremmeling of wood for the truss rod key to be accessible.
I don't know if I was unlucky, or if this is the case on all the stock.

-The adjustable bridge may rattle a bit, and needs a lot of adjusting for intonation to be right

Overall, the Vorson is a cheap thrill, and can be lots of fun.
It certainly is a low-budget steel string electric ukulele.
But with it also comes some inconveniences and quality issues.

On the lookout for a solid electric tenor ukulele, they seem to be hard to come by.

I had a Risa LP, beautiful instrument but just couldn't warm up to the bright metallic GCEA sound (see what I did there) I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Check out (website and youtube) Manndolins. Jonathan Mann makes beautiful semi hollow body steel string tenors and baritone ukuleles and octive mandolins.
Wow thanks for telling us about http://www.manndolins.com/ he does beautiful work.
I have ukuleles that are electric or have a pickup. Now I'm searching for The amplifier. :)

On the lookout for a solid electric tenor ukulele, they seem to be hard to come by.

Seagull makes a semi solid body nylon or steel string concert body with a soprano scale. Ovation Applause makes a soprano and you can find tenors used. Godin makes a beautiful tenor solid body. Pono and their parent company also make a solid body Tenor electric Ukulele. And of course many makers build ukes with EQ and you can install a pickup in a ukulele. Happy strumming :)

I have and like my Vorson LP, with the caveat that you get what you pay for and it's cheap. Still fun to play and sounds pretty good. Given how often I play it, it's one I'd consider upgrading if I had budget.

Another builder who looks good (but I haven't played or heard) is Fanner on Etsy. I believe I e seen a NUD from somebody here receiving one, so there may be more info there. https://www.etsy.com/shop/FannerGuitarWorks?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=641021031

Hi Folks,

Does anyone here have the Anuenue Tolelele uke?
I am half tempted on it as a practice/electric uke.

How do solid bodies compare to the Risa Uke sticks for unplugged noise/feel/responsiveness for practice quietly in the kitchen?

Thanks regardless

My Risa Solid Body is very quiet not plugged in. Much quieter than an electric guitar not plugged in.

Sometimes I will play it un-amplified when on a call with work. I have a wired speakerphone, and I'm about 3 feet from the mic. The only time someone can hear me playing is when the call goes completely silent.

keenonuke, take a look at the Wangs 5w Tube amp. I picked one up earlier this year, and it sounds so nice. I don't have any pedals so I can't comment on how those sound.

Top Bottom