Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electric Uke Thread

Default The Electric Uke Thread

I don't think we have an electric uke thread, so thought I'd start one.

Anyone can post anything to do with any electric uke, any strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

why not just use the main forum?
    we don't want to become elitists, do we?
    (besides, this board is for contests)

I have 3 RISA - Uke Ellie tenor, tenor solid/stick, & concert solid/stick - all strung Low G - plus a Mahalo concert Surfboard uke - & to go with them, a Honeytone mini amp & a Micro Cube amp.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    why not just use the main forum?
    we don't want to become elitists, do we?
    (besides, this board is for contests)
    Good point - I'll ask for it to be moved to a more suitable place.

I had a Risa LP, beautiful instrument but just couldn't warm up to the bright metallic GCEA sound (see what I did there) I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Check out (website and youtube) Manndolins. Jonathan Mann makes beautiful semi hollow body steel string tenors and baritone ukuleles and octive mandolins.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

A few years ago I spearheaded a group buy here on UU for 20 Alida archtop steel string electric ukes, which are the exact ones made for Kamoa by the Chinese manufacturer. Kamoa sold them for $750, the group buy for 20 was $165 each. I was deep into UAS at the time and was knocked out by the design that was so much like my archtop guitar. After receiving it, I made a couple of modifications, but found that I had no occasion to play steel string uke amped, also it was not all that well built, so I sold it not long after. A few of the other participants did the same.

About a year later, still deep in UAS, I saw a Vorzon steel string electric Telecaster style and again jumped in, but again found I had no occasion to play it, and again I sold it. Early this year I lost out on an Ovation tenor uke on eBay, but a few days later saw a Godin Multiuke here on Marketplace for $400 and didn't hesitate. Probably the best purchase I ever made. Not only does it sound great amplified, it sounds great un-amplified. For me the nylon strings make it over steel string. (Note: since I started playing uke over 4 years ago, I have not touched my guitars.)

Last edited by kohanmike; 11-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.
    Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quote Originally Posted by DaveY View Post
    Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...
    I actually have the trebles from a South Coast HML-WB set. I would not mind trying Oasis warms, they go very well together with Thomastiks. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettha Ukes did use that combo until he came up with his own floros.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Several years ago my son bought me an Eleuke concert solid-body that was st up in Hawaii by the late MusicGuyMike. I just was playing it a few minutes ago. Lots of fun and good memories of what MGM did for the uke community.

I woke up one day and decided I needed an electric uke. After a little research I further decided I needed a Multiuke. A little more research and... I came across the limited edition model. This is a little out of character for me. I typically go for more simple things but... you only live once. No regrets about the Multiuke or about the blue. I've had it for about 8 months now. I absolutely love this uke and play it almost every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information