The Electric Uke Thread

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
I don't think we have an electric uke thread, so thought I'd start one. :cool:

Anyone can post anything to do with any electric uke, any strings. ;)

why not just use the main forum?
we don't want to become elitists, do we? :p
(besides, this board is for contests)

I have 3 RISA - Uke Ellie tenor, tenor solid/stick, & concert solid/stick - all strung Low G - plus a Mahalo concert Surfboard uke - & to go with them, a Honeytone mini amp & a Micro Cube amp.

I had a Risa LP, beautiful instrument but just couldn't warm up to the bright metallic GCEA sound (see what I did there) I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Check out (website and youtube) Manndolins. Jonathan Mann makes beautiful semi hollow body steel string tenors and baritone ukuleles and octive mandolins.

A few years ago I spearheaded a group buy here on UU for 20 Alida archtop steel string electric ukes, which are the exact ones made for Kamoa by the Chinese manufacturer. Kamoa sold them for $750, the group buy for 20 was $165 each. I was deep into UAS at the time and was knocked out by the design that was so much like my archtop guitar. After receiving it, I made a couple of modifications, but found that I had no occasion to play steel string uke amped, also it was not all that well built, so I sold it not long after. A few of the other participants did the same.

About a year later, still deep in UAS, I saw a Vorzon steel string electric Telecaster style and again jumped in, but again found I had no occasion to play it, and again I sold it. Early this year I lost out on an Ovation tenor uke on eBay, but a few days later saw a Godin Multiuke here on Marketplace for $400 and didn't hesitate. Probably the best purchase I ever made. Not only does it sound great amplified, it sounds great un-amplified. For me the nylon strings make it over steel string. (Note: since I started playing uke over 4 years ago, I have not touched my guitars.)

Alida knobs.jpg

Vorson Tele mine 600.jpg

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
I have a Godin Multiuke in low G with florocarbons and wound G and C Thomastiks and love it.

Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...

Which brand of fluorocarbon strings do you have on your MultiUke? I already have the 2 Thomastiks on mine, with D'Addario T2s for the E and A. thx...

I actually have the trebles from a South Coast HML-WB set. I would not mind trying Oasis warms, they go very well together with Thomastiks. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettha Ukes did use that combo until he came up with his own floros.

Several years ago my son bought me an Eleuke concert solid-body that was st up in Hawaii by the late MusicGuyMike. I just was playing it a few minutes ago. Lots of fun and good memories of what MGM did for the uke community.

I woke up one day and decided I needed an electric uke. After a little research I further decided I needed a Multiuke. A little more research and... I came across the limited edition model. This is a little out of character for me. I typically go for more simple things but... you only live once. No regrets about the Multiuke or about the blue. I've had it for about 8 months now. I absolutely love this uke and play it almost every day.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 93
Wow love it congratulations i didn't realise it was Electric Blue photoshooter.

Thanks frigiliana. Back when I asked you about it I'm not sure if I had decided yet. I originally was going to get the cedar top but then saw the blue and amber special editions. Amber seemed more tame but I decided to try something bold for a change :)

Some eye candy. A friend of mine ordered this custom Mann jazz raptor, from Jonathan Mann of Manndolins. You will notice it is a 5 string with a 22" scale. He does make "normal" 4 string 17" tenors and 20" baritones.

20171015_205946.jpg20171015_210100.jpg20171015_210225.jpg20171015_210119.jpg20171015_210203.jpg

I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread especially with Christmas coming those photos DownUpDave are stunning , it looks to have a radiused fret board exactly how i'd have it made i wonder if it's arched topped as ? well next question how much got to be in the £1000 bracket .

Here is my DejaVu Dola electric uke from Moongazer Music. This is a 17” tenor scale with one mini humbucker and D’addario flat wound chrome strings. I play this through my Roland AC-33 amp and it sounds fantastic. My acoustic uke is a KoAloha Sceptre tenor with a misi undersaddle pickup and worth clear strings.
4354BAA6-B0DD-4F6B-89E3-F1AF1081FC80.jpg

Attachments

• 4354BAA6-B0DD-4F6B-89E3-F1AF1081FC80.jpg
    4354BAA6-B0DD-4F6B-89E3-F1AF1081FC80.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 78
That Blue Godin Uke was fabulous looking ... thanks for sharing.

I love this thread. Keep it going guys. That blue Multi-Uke took my breath away.

That Blue Godin Uke was fabulous looking ... thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for the kind words. As I said, the blue was a bit more "blingy" than my usual preferences. I decided to throw caution to the wind and I'm glad I did. Also glad to see that others like it as well.

Following the electric uke theme... an upcoming project of mine; putting together a pedalboard.

IMG_1651.jpg

Top Bottom