The Electric Uke Thread

I'd be interested in that project photoshooter looking forward to seeing what you make .

Hi there. I got a quite cheap Harley Benton electric uke which I use for silent practices. The action is awfully high but as it is a bolt on neck, maybe that can be sorted with a shim by a luthier if it is worth spending the money on. See the attached photo. ukuleles.jpg

I also have a Pono TE Acacia on order which should arrive in a couple of days so I will make an update when I receive it.

If anyone have an Archtop for sale. Eastman or D'Angelico, then I would be interested... Only been uke playing for a short while, converting from guitars, but love it and really would love to play som uke Jazz. Listening to 'Lyle Ritz' on the stereo as I type. Check him out.

Following the electric uke theme... an upcoming project of mine; putting together a pedalboard.

photoshooter, seeing your pedals reminded me of a question I've had for a while: What is the advantage of separate pedals over a multi-effects pedal? Is it better sound in the separate pedals, more visible/readable choices, or . . . ?

photoshooter, seeing your pedals reminded me of a question I've had for a while: What is the advantage of separate pedals over a multi-effects pedal? Is it better sound in the separate pedals, more visible/readable choices, or . . . ?

I'm a complete novice in this area so consider my reply in that context…

I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects. I'm very much at the experimental stage so I temper my investments accordingly. The two small pedals in the pic are Donner Delay and Compression. Each pedal was less than $30 so I didn't have to put out a lot of money in order to experiment. Separate pedals also allow a musician to dial in a very specific sound based on the order of the pedals and various combinations of pedals. I don't see that as applying to me though. I'm just trying to have some fun. I'm not a gigging musician… heck, I don't even know if I'm a musician, lol.

Another point is that musicians seem to swear by certain specific brands of effects. For instance the TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb seems to be more highly regarded than the lowly Behringer RV600 Reverb that I purchased. :roll eyes: So there are many choices even within specific effects. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I just want a few pedals to increase the fun factor.

I own a tululele..it's awesome! ( I'm guessing it's a electric uke? Or is it semi acoustic? ) it's a loud as any of my normal ukuleles..it's certainly as good as the others..I have a handmade uke where the wood is so thin you can see a torch �� through it..consequently the sound is amazing.. Think this super thin wood uke might have the edge.. Might? Earnest instruments are very fine indeed.

I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects.

Multi effect pedals do allow you to combine a series of effects in one pedal. The presets are often unsatisfactory as many of them are ott. You can program in your own combination of effects but it can often be a bit of a faff. I have multi effects pedals but recently have gone to using single effect pedals as it's easier and quicker to set up the overall sound you want.

. . . I have a multi effects pedal (Zoom G1xON) but I found that I only really liked a few of the many available effects. Separate pedals allow you to research specific sounds/effects that appeal to you and put together a repertoire of only those effects. I'm very much at the experimental stage so I temper my investments accordingly. The two small pedals in the pic are Donner Delay and Compression. Each pedal was less than $30 so I didn't have to put out a lot of money in order to experiment. Separate pedals also allow a musician to dial in a very specific sound based on the order of the pedals and various combinations of pedals. I don't see that as applying to me though. I'm just trying to have some fun. I'm not a gigging musician… heck, I don't even know if I'm a musician, lol.

. . . I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I just want a few pedals to increase the fun factor.

Also seeking simplicity, I just sold my Zoom G3 multi-effects pedal and am using a (actually, 2) Roland Micro Cubes for effects; they can be connected to a mixer, too. I like seeing the name of the effect and being able to easily find it, which the Micro Cube — and I guess a dedicated single pedal — allow.

Multi effect pedals do allow you to combine a series of effects in one pedal. The presets are often unsatisfactory as many of them are ott. You can program in your own combination of effects but it can often be a bit of a faff. I have multi effects pedals but recently have gone to using single effect pedals as it's easier and quicker to set up the overall sound you want.

And I've resurrected my Zoom G2 multi-effects pedal, and am actually learning it for the first time. It has plenty of options and combinations on it, but I just like a few sounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if I mostly stay with the Micro Cube for effects (and as a backup, battery-powered amp).

The three biggest downsides of using individual pedals are that you go through a lot of batteries (unless you're able to plug them all in); it gets expensive real quick (3 Boss pedals can easily set your back $300); and your pedal board can get big real quick. Plus, with all those cables in your signal chain, their are many places for things to go wrong or for hums to be introduced. But like others have said, multi-effects pedals can be confusing to use (and require lots of time reading manuals to tweak), and the effects can be less than stellar. So pick your poison. :)

- FiL

Is anybody using an octave pedal. I was thinking of getting a Mooer MOC1 Octave guitar pedal to play some base lines with. I have a boss RC-1 loop pedal I use when I practice . Any recommendations?

I have an Electro Harmonics Pog. I play mostly low G and the octave pedal allows me to add a little extra bottom or a little more on the high end if needed. This is all new territory to me so I don’t have much practical experience. I’ve been mostly noodling so far but I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Is anybody using an octave pedal. I was thinking of getting a Mooer MOC1 Octave guitar pedal to play some base lines with. I have a boss RC-1 loop pedal I use when I practice . Any recommendations?

I don't have an octave pedal, but there is an octave effect on the Roland Micro Cube that I'm using for effects (and amplification). A pedal might have more consistently good sound, but I can play bass lines on the Micro Cube if I make the right choices in the other settings.

Hi Photoshooter DaveY , your way more adventurous than me , i'm using the Digitech 360 which has an octave pedal but i've never thought of using it, can you give an example of a song where it would be used ideally something on Youtube ?
Cheers Dave

Hi Photoshooter DaveY , your way more adventurous than me , i'm using the Digitech 360 which has an octave pedal but i've never thought of using it, can you give an example of a song where it would be used ideally something on Youtube ?
Cheers Dave

Oh heck, I should have written "could" not "can" -- I mean if I work on it, I think I could do it. But thinking about it, someone could loop a bass line (for, for example, "A Walk On the Wild Side" and a lot of other songs) using the octave pedal, then switch to whatever sounds desired for the chords and any picking.

Or you can just play chords with the octave effect, which of course is much simpler, and sounds good in the right situations.

As a performing musician for 6 decades and a professional sound engineer with my own sound and lighting company, I focus more on amplification and microphones for a more natural amplified sound. I do recommend an active DI box, such as the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or the Behringer ADI21 for added equalization and a balanced XLR out to run through a microphone cable or a snake for longer runs and signal boost to the mixing board and/or acoustic amplifier. We do a lot of gigs where plugging into an AC outlet is not even an option, so I own a lot of battery powered gear that gets that job done.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

Following the electric uke theme... an upcoming project of mine; putting together a pedalboard.

View attachment 104411

I have realised that beyond UAS and GAS there is PAS (pedal acquisition syndrome) lurking to control our lives. The places I play never have power available so all my gear must be battery powered.

This is my small board:

FCE8A4B7-66B9-4E35-8BDD-8C3C41CFD53F.jpg

I have a Risa stick tenor neckView attachment 104560
I bought the VOX , would have been perfect concept but it is not meant for ukulele.
Bought a Honey tone . Result is still not satisfied. Any recommendations are welcomed.

Battery powered is a mandatory for me so my amps are a Yamaha THR5A and a Roland AC33. The Roland is better IMO but heavier.

Top Bottom