Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most difficult basic chord

Default Most difficult basic chord

For me it is the darn Dm.

Time and time again I find playing relaxed and not all notes sounding out, unless I concentrate. The 2210 fingering.
    Time and time again I find out that either I'm not pressing the D root before the fret or if I do then the 3rd, F does not get pressed enough, or not close it's fret. And basically my index finger hurts when I get it right.

I don't like the chord and have been thinking of playing it just x210, with a thumb mute. It sounds the same anyways to me. Anyone else with this problem?

With guitar it is the Am chord and I never had any problems with it.
    It is my concert ukulele's scale and I can't seem to fit my fingers properly unless I concentrate and my index finger hurts if i do.
    So I hate that chord.

For me, it is C# major. Regarding the Dm fingering: I use a two-finger approach instead of three. I just make a F chord, but instead of keeping it arched I slant my middle finger so that it frets both the G and the C strings. Your idea of the thumb mute sounds a little awkward. Whenever I want to mute the G string (e.g., for the Ab or F#) I use the finger which is fretting the C string by placing my finger a little bit off-center so that it is slightly touching the G string while fretting the C string.

E Major for me because my fingers just don't want to go there.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

many of my students groan about Bb (3211) or the 4-finger F7 (2313).

if you consider diminished chords basic, as I do, i also get groans about the
    4-finger diminished chord forms: F- (1212) and C- (2323).

G- (0101) gets smiles

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday Songbook & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

Fmaj7 depending on the transition

ripock, your way of doing things for Dm don't work for me. I can't bend my finger backwards like that, nor I can with nylon strings mute a G string with a finger pressed on C. Thumb mute is easy though and we need treat differently the nut chords than the others. In my opinion. Your C# is not basic, seldom see it in any songbook tunes, easy though with a barre and 4th pinky.

kkimura, also E chord is not a basic, but I have no problems with it. 1x02 with index finger muting the C-string same as playing G# on 4th. I know it is not also so well known, but quite a jewel to give from me

"Uncle Rod", those diminished chords are easy. F7 is easier with omitting the 5th and play just 2310 and sounds most times better too, it is F#7 that a is somewhat a basic chord that needs your fingering. I am working on it myself, since it is needed!

My thing with Dm, such a simple chord, I am 59 years old, and it hurts my index finger joint. Trying to fit all fingers so close, it really does.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 11-09-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Me too! I go 4447 a lot because I like the octave note and it's movable.
    -Kamaka HF-3 tenor
    -Big Island KXXX-TRC w/ pickup (Low G)
    -Pono Mango Tenor Pro Classic
    -Ovation Le Koa Tenor A/E
    -Luna Tiki Resonator "Uke-nator"

Kamaka forever.
    #gceaforlife
    #chr66is

For me it was Bb(3211) and G(0232) that were hardest. Dm(2210) was a comparative cakewalk for me.

Jarmo_S, if you find it easier to mute the 'G' string with your thumb you must be playing with the neck of the uke on the web at the base of your thumb and forefinger. Try placing the pad of the thumb at the back of the neck. That will make it a lot easier to place your finger tips where they need to be. A lot of people play with the neck in the crook of the thumb/finger, and if that's what you prefer, that's fine - but it does cause difficulties.

Try my suggestion. You might decide it is worth making the effort to change - or you might not.

FMajor7 I find too difficult to play - 2,4,1,3 - I can arrange my surgically adjusted, 79 year old hand into that position, but not with the necessary deftness to be of any use. Looking for an alternative, I discovered that 5500 gives exactly the same four notes, in reverse order. This made my life MUCH easier!

John Colter,

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    ripock, your way of doing things for Dm don't work for me. I can't bend my finger backwards like that, nor I can with nylon strings mute a G string with a finger pressed on C. Thumb mute is easy though and we need treat differently the nut chords than the others. In my opinion. Your C# is not basic, seldom see it in any songbook tunes, easy though with a barre and 4th pinky..
    Easy to explain, but not easy for my hand. When I do the C# shape, the E string gets muted. I have practiced and it worked itself out. It is interesting that we are playing the same instrument, the ukulele, and adhering to the same principle, to master the basics...however none of us seem to agree on what is basic. For me, what is the essential basics are the major and minor triads as well as the major and minor Dom7's. That gives access to the blues and some jazz. After all, without the c#, you can't play blues in c#, f#, or ab and those are some of the tastier keys.

Thread Information