Cajone Plans ?

roam

Reaction score
I want to build a Cajone Drum. Does anyone have any recommendations for plans? I know there are many on the internet but I don't know which are good and which should be avoided.

thanks,
Hugh

There really isn't much to building a cajon, so any plan should be a good guideline. I've built mine from 9 mm ply, top, bottom and sides, 6 mm ply for the back and 4 mm for the tapa/front. A square or triangular list along the four edges between the sides and top/bottom to re-inforce things.

Jens

Try a google search for the meaning of "cajone". Meanwhile try to avoid beating on them.:D

Maybe you can find something nice at instructables.com, they have planes for everything

Try a google search for the meaning of "cajone". Meanwhile try to avoid beating on them.:D
Most any Spanish speaker is going to think drawer when someone refers to a cajone. Just like most English speaking Americans are going to think of a baseballs when someone says balls. Anyway, there is a guy in San Juan that plays an old wooden Coca Cola crate as a cajone. It is a vintage instrument. They just don't make cajones like that anymore. The wood is seasoned and it has a mellow tone that you just don't hear in mass produced cajones that they make these days.

Last edited:
I used a cheap snare from a snare drum (ebay I think) cut in two. I screwed it onto a dowel that can be turned. The square, transverse piece is a stop for the snare when it is turned away from the tapa. It has the dual purpose of silencing the snare when it is not in use, as well as keeping the snare from moving too far away. I've used two different controls on the outside. On one cajon I used a dial with a lock-screw through it. The lock-screw presses against a large washer under the dial. The other cajon has a bicycle wheel quick release. As you can see, there is only one (½) snare in one side, giving different sounds to the two corners of the tapa.

Jens

Attachments

• RIMG0358.jpg
    RIMG0358.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10
  • RIMG0359.jpg
    RIMG0359.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 10
  • RIMG0360.jpg
    RIMG0360.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom