Has any one bought a FRED SHIELDS ukulele ?

SoloRule

Reaction score
I came across this luthier who is located in southern California . I managed to find two posts from few years earlier . One is from UU another one is from a guitar forum. Both buyers are very happy and the price they paid was kind of too good to be true.

If any of you know about this maker , please share your experience. Thanks

Here is his Facebook page (it is 'unlocked') . You can see some of his designs are quite different . I messaged him , have not yet received any respond.

https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Shields-Ukuleles-180995551945357/

I also found a youtube channel .

Last edited:
Creative, quirky, custom with clear ringing tones. I like it! Thank you for sharing about yet another unsung hero craftsperson who can make magical music boxes for our delight.

Brenda have you thought about getting a maple ukulele? I think with your finger picking style you will find the lovely harptones very pleasing. Just saying

Creative, quirky, custom with clear ringing tones. I like it! Thank you for sharing about yet another unsung hero craftsperson who can make magical music boxes for our delight.

Brenda have you thought about getting a maple ukulele? I think with your finger picking style you will find the lovely harptones very pleasing. Just saying

I have a curly maple Kinnard with a spruce top but it’s a six strings

I bought one of his ukuleles from Moze Guitars in La Mesa in 2010. Good quality and inexpensive. A couple of years ago I was fascinated by one of his 3 string ukes (a soprano) that was at Moze and bought it. I then contacted Fred directly to have him make a concert and tenor for me and a concert for my wife. I don't play the 3 string very often, but they are the easiest instrument I have ever played.

He makes the ukuleles in his garage in La Mesa. Really nice guy and makes nice no frills solid wood instruments with attention to detail. Smooth fret ends and good intonation. I think the paddle shape is his favorite, but he does other shapes including a traditional figure 8.

John

Looks like the Facebook page hasn't been updated since 2011.

I found Fred Shields. Spoke to him twice . Super nice gentleman.
I look forward to meeting him next Saturday! Thank you everyone!
His number is
*(619) 464-8599‬

Last edited:
Looking forward to you comments after meeting him. Playing a few ukuleles. Nfunkly head stocks and tuner alignment. I’m interested in his tenors if you get a chance to play any. Wood choices also. Cool you get to meet him.

As of a few years ago, Fred offered different wood choices for top and sides/back. He may not have a lot of exotic woods, but I know he has used spruce, cedar, redwood, walnut, sapele, sycamore, lyptus. I have an all poplar one from him that I refer to as my Home Depot uke.

This has been a side pastime for him. I believe he was a tile setter by trade. He's retired now. I don't remember the exact amount but I think he has made at least 500 ukuleles. He had a book where he would list them, but I'm not sure when he started keeping track.

John

Top Bottom