Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The suspense is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Good luck with your choice!

I'm also impressed that the Minnesota bluegrass community also supports ukers.
    Yes, that is an interesting combination. But the two don't mingle much. The bluegrass do their own thing. I like bluegrass music, but I also understand why ukuleles don't fit into the scheme of things, so on my down time I like to go over to the stage where the bluegrass bands are playing and listen. Honestly, the bluegrass is a nice change. I think that is why I like it so much.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-11-2017 at 07:27 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    I'm also impressed that the Minnesota bluegrass community also supports ukers.
    It is a unique relationship, but a lot of it comes back to the leader of the Twin Cities Ukulele Club, who was a bluegrass player and involved in the leadership of the Minnesota Bluegrass organization (which is quite large and holds several events a year). He is the connection point. I will say that the ukulele interest tends support their own “cost” at this event—so at the least the ukulele isn’t a drain on the bluegrass resources.

For now, it is a wonderful setting and mixture, even if ukulele isn’t considered a bluegrass instrument.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Hi, Rllink! Enjoy your shopping! These are my check points before try to play sopranos so far. I still like the style of friction tuner for soprano.

Last edited by zztush; 11-11-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Excited to hear which uke you bring home (or buy after) if none floats your boat, Rollie. Enjoy the shopping!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Rollie, GMUG sounds like a blast!
    Yes, Bluegrass is my fave, also. I know it's sacrilege, but sometimes I think the only thing missing is the uke, LOL.
    Every Saturday morning I tune in to WMNF 88.5FM for the Bluegrass show. It's the reason I donate to the public station twice a year.
    Sometimes I really miss my musician friends in Nashville and PA.
    Take your time, and I know you'll come home with the right uke!
    Happy hunting.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I discovered the uke less than 2 years ago and got a severe case of UAS... You be careful my friend...
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052 (Low G)

Concert:
    Loprinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa (CGDA), Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood (Low G), Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa (Low G), Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, Rllink! Enjoy your shopping! These are my check points before try to play sopranos so far. I still like the style of friction tuner for soprano.

zztush, please enlighten me. What is straight saddle for? Straight as in the shape or glued on straight/horizontal? Please tell me more.
    Tenor:

Concert:
    Loprinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa (CGDA), Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood (Low G), Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa (Low G), Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

could be straight vs compensated saddle.

Hi, Lapyang! Thank you for asking.

More thicker strings require more longer compensation for intonation. We have high G compensated saddle (see the figure below) and straight saddle. High G compensated saddle has a compensation for thin string on the high G string (blue line in the figure). Thick low G string requires opposite compensation (green line).

I am afraid there is no low G compensation saddle, I use straight saddle for low G.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, Lapyang! Thank you for asking.

More thicker strings require more longer compensation for intonation. We have high G compensated saddle (see the figure below) and straight saddle. High G compensated saddle has a compensation for thin string on the high G string (blue line in the figure). Thick low G string requires opposite compensation (green line).

I am afraid there is no low G compensation saddle, I use straight saddle for low G.
    Thanks zztush. I experiment between low G and high G on my Ukes from time to time. Never paying any attention to the saddle. I do listen for possible buzzing. What should from now on?
    Tenor:

Concert:

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:

Thread Information