The suspense is killing me.

Rllink

Reaction score
April 2014, I bought my first ukulele, a Makala concert. April 2015, I bought an upgrade, a Mainland concert. Next weekend I am going to GMUG in Minneapolis, and I am hoping to find a new soprano ukulele. I've been planning this since June. I've been saving up. I have cash, and plenty of it. If I don't buy one there, I'm buying one on line the Monday after. Dang, this is like Christmas when I was just a kid.

Rollie, at least since you've been a good boy, and saved up your (uke) allowance, you should be guilt-free while following the muse down the Yellow-Brick Road of UAS now...

I am looking forward to your NUD post, and anyone that reads this thread will be sharing your anticipation.
:) :nana:

Have fun at GMUG! You've excercised way more restraint than some of us... more than 3 years and only two ukes? You deserve a pretty little uke to take home with you!

We have talked about your upcoming soprano for a while. I am almost as excited as you are. My dad use to say the planning and the anticipation of a fishing trip was as much fun as the fishing. Same goes with ukuleles.

I’m just curious as to what brand you’ll look at! I’ll get to see it at GMUG!
I'll just have to see what they have there. I remember last year there was a good selection. I'm not really stuck on any one ukulele, so if something talks to me, I'll take it home. If I don't get one there though, I've had my eye on an Ohana SK-70MG. But I would like to try one out before I buy it.

Good luck with your choice!

I'm also impressed that the Minnesota bluegrass community also supports ukers.

Good luck with your choice!

Yes, that is an interesting combination. But the two don't mingle much. The bluegrass do their own thing. I like bluegrass music, but I also understand why ukuleles don't fit into the scheme of things, so on my down time I like to go over to the stage where the bluegrass bands are playing and listen. Honestly, the bluegrass is a nice change. I think that is why I like it so much.

Last edited:

It is a unique relationship, but a lot of it comes back to the leader of the Twin Cities Ukulele Club, who was a bluegrass player and involved in the leadership of the Minnesota Bluegrass organization (which is quite large and holds several events a year). He is the connection point. I will say that the ukulele interest tends support their own “cost” at this event—so at the least the ukulele isn’t a drain on the bluegrass resources.

For now, it is a wonderful setting and mixture, even if ukulele isn’t considered a bluegrass instrument.

Hi, Rllink! Enjoy your shopping! These are my check points before try to play sopranos so far. I still like the style of friction tuner for soprano. :)

Last edited:
Excited to hear which uke you bring home (or buy after) if none floats your boat, Rollie. Enjoy the shopping!

Rollie, GMUG sounds like a blast!
Yes, Bluegrass is my fave, also. I know it's sacrilege, but sometimes I think the only thing missing is the uke, LOL.
Every Saturday morning I tune in to WMNF 88.5FM for the Bluegrass show. It's the reason I donate to the public station twice a year.
Sometimes I really miss my musician friends in Nashville and PA.
Take your time, and I know you'll come home with the right uke!
Happy hunting.

Hi, Rllink! Enjoy your shopping! These are my check points before try to play sopranos so far. I still like the style of friction tuner for soprano. :)

zztush, please enlighten me. What is straight saddle for? Straight as in the shape or glued on straight/horizontal? Please tell me more.

Hi, Lapyang! Thank you for asking.

More thicker strings require more longer compensation for intonation. We have high G compensated saddle (see the figure below) and straight saddle. High G compensated saddle has a compensation for thin string on the high G string (blue line in the figure). Thick low G string requires opposite compensation (green line).

I am afraid there is no low G compensation saddle, I use straight saddle for low G.

Hi, Lapyang! Thank you for asking.

More thicker strings require more longer compensation for intonation. We have high G compensated saddle (see the figure below) and straight saddle. High G compensated saddle has a compensation for thin string on the high G string (blue line in the figure). Thick low G string requires opposite compensation (green line).

I am afraid there is no low G compensation saddle, I use straight saddle for low G.

Thanks zztush. I experiment between low G and high G on my Ukes from time to time. Never paying any attention to the saddle. I do listen for possible buzzing. What should from now on?

Hi, Lapyang!

Thanks zztush. I experiment between low G and high G on my Ukes from time to time. Never paying any attention to the saddle. I do listen for possible buzzing. What should from now on?

You need to identify the cause of the buzz. Check the location of the fret, string, nut and saddle. Change strings often help to identify, because the diameter, tension and action directly affect buzz. And comparison always gives us good hints.

Top Bottom