Breaking out in Hives

Congratulations Dana. Those sure are fabulous instruments.

I couldn't agree more Matt. It looks like you have your walnut Hive strung re-entrant. I have to decide which one I will change over. Decisions, decisions!!!

Yeah! I originally was going to have my newer maple and spruce re-entrant but it sounds so deep and almost piano like in low G so I decided to keep it that way. I like the mellower walnut in re-entrant. I'll be honest though - they both sound amazing either way!

Wow....congrats Dana.
1st time I ever heard of a builder who works only in tenor world.

Sorry Dana - Hive sister not brother! :)
Yours are absolutely beautiful. I'm hankering for a redwood now!

Sister?, Brother?, doesn't matter. Family is family!

If you're hankering for a redwood, that LFAC lucky strike redwood/The Tree mahogany that he is going to show in Hawaii is amazing! I had a chance to play and admire it in Woodstock. However, I am sure that it will take quite a few shillings to buy that one at auction. But hopefully they raise lots and lots of money for the kids. As I said to Jake, I can't wait to hear all of the HMS demos of those great builder's ukuleles.

Wow....congrats Dana.
1st time I ever heard of a builder who works only in tenor world.

I've discussed with Jake about adding a concert size, given that he did all of the Compass Rose ukes when he worked for Rick. Coming from a guitar background, he personally prefers a more like guitar-like sound and that is not easily achieved in anything smaller than a tenor.

Jake has honed his tenor designs over the years. He is absolutely meticulous in his work and some of his design elements are more labor intensive than most other builders. To wit, look at his headstock. It's incredibly elegant. It also takes a lot of time.

He routinely maintains a 12+ month backlog of orders. He simply does not have the spare time to develop another size that mets his own high standards in terms of tone. Maybe he will one day, but for the time being demands for his existing tenor designs remains strong.

Last edited:
I've discussed with Jake about adding a concert size, given that he did all of the Compass Rose ukes when he worked for Rick. Coming from a guitar background, he personally prefers a more like guitar-like sound and that is not easily achieved in anything smaller than a tenor.

Jake has honed his tenor designs over the years. He is absolutely meticulous in his work and some of his design elements are more labor intensive than most other builders. To wit, look at his headstock. It's incredibly elegant. It also takes a lot of time.

He routinely maintains a 12+ month backlog of orders. He simply does not have the spare time to develop another size that mets his own high standards in terms of tone. Maybe he will one day, but for the time being demands for his existing tenor designs remains strong.

I have to agree about his work being meticulous. Amazing work and just beautiful aesthetics as well as sound. Speaking of expanding into other uke models and that Jake likes more of a guitar sound, which matches my feelings, how about a larger body size in a tenor scale to get an even more guitar like sound?

Top Bottom