New Build Thread: John S. Kinnard Sycamore/Torrified Sitka Cutaway Tenor

mkatz

Reaction score
A few months back I saw photos of a sycamore tenor that John had built and I had to have one like it. Here are the first photos.

Mitch
IMG_6165.jpgIMG_6166.jpg

Congratulations, that Sycamore looks sick! I'm sure this wood combo will work great together.

Fantastic looking start to what will be an awesome instrument. I really like the unique appearance of sycamore, I had an all sycamore Mya Moe tenor.

Very nice Mitch! That sycamore is gorgeous!

attachment.php

That one is going to be a stunner Mitch. I love the figure on that Sycamore. Almost looks like some spalting.

That back is really quite fascinating. Please continue to share the journey of this build with us.

Finished Photos

Just received these photos from Kevin of the finished Sycamore/Torrified Sitka tenor. Can't wait to get it in my hands!

Mitch
Katz_2017-12-10_003.jpgKatz_2017-12-10_006.jpgKatz_2017-12-10_017.jpgKatz_2017-12-10_019.jpgKatz_2017-12-10_023.jpg

This is nothing short of bodacious! Enjoy, and congrats!

It arrived this morning and I've only had a little time with it but here are my thoughts so far:

It is very articulate and well balanced up and down the fretboard with great sustain. The set up is perfect and it is a joy to play. Aesthetically, it is everything I wanted - beautiful figured wood, torrefied top, and simple features. I have had two other Kinnard Ukes, one of which I still have but this one seems to be in a different league. It could be that it's brand new but it could also be that John just keeps getting better at what he does. That's not a knock on his older ukes but rather kudos to a great craftsman.

Mitch

Last edited:
Top Bottom