New Design

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Inspired by the stuff which has been posted here recently by Dennis I went ahead a imagined what a Favilla teardrop would look like if it was concert sized and built in my workshop. Here it is...

Like the Vitaukes I build, this has a broad pallet of sounds and could be used for strumming, fingerpicking anything, even a cheese platter! Thisis not a demo of the instrument - I no longer can do that to any accpetable standard... you get to it after a minute or so of my bumbling.

Last edited:
That is a very handsome instrument, Pete. I love the classic simplicity of the lines and proportions. Sounds great, too!

Congratulations,

John Colter.

WOW Pete, that both looks and sounds great!

The teardrop shape kind of reminds me of an A-style mandolin, but I can definitely hear the complexity of the beautiful tone that comes forth to the camera.

That phone call coming in, while maybe a mild annoyance, is kinda funny while you were livestreaming, almost could have been planned for comedic value...
:smileybounce:

Did he call you back later?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Great job Pete. Looks and sounds beautiful.

That turned out great Pete! Nice work!

I live stream to Facebook most days because my audience is very forgiving of my low production values :) YouTube has become a place where you need to have really well lit, excellently shot and edited content to create a following. My YouTube vids, when I do them, get a maximum of 500 views. I generally get 1000 or more on Facebook and have had busienss flow from these this year. My ain however is not to generate sales but to share, tool ideas and techniques. Kt's why I don't piublish completed works anymore - this is the first in about 5 months and it's there because it is a new design I am exploring. I'm looking for feedback rather than praise when I post something like this :)

I'm looking for feedback rather than praise when I post something like this :)

That’s an attitude I could really get behind and support, all power to your elbow and good luck to you.

On the down side I can’t really find anything to constructively criticise about the instrument. I think it a classic design which you might well have improved on, the instrument sounds just right and generally fantastic (upsetting really ‘cause, to me, everything I own now sounds naff in comparison).

I've had my 15 minutes of fame many times over Graham - it's overated if you ask me...

Please don't take my comments (above) as praise, Pete. The design, construction and aesthetic qualities are things I would expect to find in an instrument produced by someone with your breadth of experience. In view of your recent posts about sticking to well trodden paths, I am congratulating you on stepping off the straight and narrow and successfully making something different.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom