Thread: Weird buzz - any ideas

Default Weird buzz - any ideas

So I have low G Worth browns on one of my tenors, and the unwound low G string is producing a buzz. The symptoms are as follows:

- The buzzing sound seems to be localised around the saddle.
    - Doesn't buzz when I pluck the open g string, no matter how forcefully.
    - Buzzes when I fret from the 1st to the 8th fret.
    - Does not buzz from the 9th fret onwards.
    - If the g string is plucked from nut to where the fretboard joins the body, no buzz.
    - If the g string is plucked from where the fretboard joins the body to the saddle, it buzzes.

Any ideas?!?!

Could be a high fret or loose fret though your last line is puzzling. Maybe a loose or cracked brace inside.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Yes, not very well worded. I mean if I pluck the part of the string that sits over the body of the instrument, it buzzes. If I pluck the string over the fretboard, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JosÚ de Londres View Post
    So I have low G Worth browns on one of my tenors, and the unwound low G string is producing a buzz. The symptoms are as follows:

- The buzzing sound seems to be localised around the saddle.
    - Doesn't buzz when I pluck the open g string, no matter how forcefully.
    - Buzzes when I fret from the 1st to the 8th fret.
    - Does not buzz from the 9th fret onwards.
    - If the g string is plucked from nut to where the fretboard joins the body, no buzz.
    - If the g string is plucked from where the fretboard joins the body to the saddle, it buzzes.

Any ideas?!?!
    Based on the information given the 9th fret is high. What you have written is a text book example of how you FIND a high fret.

From what you said, I'm assuming the uke didn't have any problems before you put on that specific low G string.
    Those Worth low G's just don't have much tension to them, so I can see why they'd cause a problem on an uke that has low action to begin with. Floppy strings move around in a bigger arc, so they're much more likely to hit a fret when they shouldn't. They move around even more when picked closer to the neck as opposed to being picked close to the bridge, so what you said makes perfect sense to me.
    If you're dead set on having them, you'll have to have some setup work done on the frets, saddle, or both.
    Otherwise, you could just find a low G string with higher tension, such as a wound low G string. That'll likely fix your issue.....or go back to high G. I think Worth makes some higher tension low G strings too, but they are really fat. I'm sure there are a lot of threads here recommending low G strings if you do a search.

Thread Information