Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really fishing line?

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    This was actually my point. Things are things. Anything that can be used for something becomes that thing based on it's useage, not because it was "intended" for that.
    The OP was is fishing line uke string, or vice versa.

If you had a long enough uke string, you could catch fish with it.
    And you can string a uke with fishing line, which then makes it a uke string.

Either way, it's plastic extruded through pretty much a pasta machine.

Just like the old gut strings were not born strings, but intestines.
    very wel put..on the whole I agree..and from the remarks of the great and the good here I think it is clearly fishing line! But as you so cogently put it. It's only fishing line if used for angling if used for playing a ukulele it's ukulele string! However some of my ukes were expensive instruments and it doesn't sit well with me using bloody fishing line on my much loved ukuleles..hahaha.. Even though by mystery actually fishing spool magically becomes ukulele string! If used on a uke! Think I shall carry on using aquila strings or the very good kala pearls strings...seems the armchair experts on the baritone group where this question arose were possibly right? However they have banned me!! Lol..for having the temerity to disagree? Ah the irony!

It's not fishing line it's florocarbon. It's not ukulele string its florocarbon. Its not bread or pasta or pastry its wheat. You use an element to make "something" from it then you stick a name on it. A rose by any other name is still a rose
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I know a top class luthier that uses fishing leader (flouro-carbon) on all his ukes.
    I won’t name drop, but I am guessing almost everyone here would love to own one of his ukes.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Glad we got that all settled, again. Now on to more important subjects, like what's better high G or low G...
    Why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    I know a top class luthier that uses fishing leader (flouro-carbon) on all his ukes.
    I won’t name drop, but I am guessing almost everyone here would love to own one of his ukes.
    Do you mean Mr kala? I have one of his ukes it's OK? I also have one made by his mother, ma kala! Better in my opinion.. It's got a dinky dolphin shaped bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilomar View Post
    Do you mean Mr kala? I have one of his ukes it's OK? I also have one made by his mother, ma kala! Better in my opinion.. It's got a dinky dolphin shaped bridge.
    I think he means Mr Moore.
    We would all love to have one of his.
    it's actually on my bucket list..... some day...

I thought he meant Sven Nystrom.

John C.

Perhaps not quite in the same league just yet, but Bonanza Ukes from Minnesota come strung with fishing line. The owner had his set up with spools of line at the Silver Creek Uke fest this August.

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    I think he means Mr Moore.
    We would all love to have one of his.
    it's actually on my bucket list..... some day...
    I have a ukulele by Mr Eckhaus..and one by Mr Claughton I wouldn't trade either of them...

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. There have been hundreds of threads over the years on what strings to use for a particular ukulele, and typically there are many options. For a couple of ukuleles, I've spent years of string chasing for just the right balance and sound and for others, I string them up and that's the end of it.

Fishing leaders work fine for ukulele strings, but the results can be just as fickle from one uke to the other. But if you have a real lot of ukuleles and you use a lot of string sets, spending $50 - $100 for 25 yards might be a good route to go. We all know that some luthiers use fishing leaders, so there is something to it.

There was a thread a long time ago by UU member OldePhart on what to so with 42 sets of ukulele strings; which is what he got out of 4 rolls of fishing line. For most people that is not a viable long term option economically, especially if better strings come along in the next 10 years.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 11-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Thread Information