Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Is it really fishing line?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    25

    Default Is it really fishing line?

    Hi all. This is my first post so I hope it goes OK..I'm on this baritone forum and some of the people assure me that all fluorocarbon strings are merely repackaged fishing Line.. Could someone give me a definitive answer on this matter? Thankyou

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilomar View Post
    Hi all. This is my first post so I hope it goes OK..I'm on this baritone forum and some of the people assure me that all fluorocarbon strings are merely repackaged fishing Line.. Could someone give me a definitive answer on this matter? Thankyou
    Totally, completely, and in all other ways FALSE. There are a hundred different kinds of fluorocarbon strings, none of which are fishing line.


    I have heard that some people have tried using actual fishing line... seems silly to me.


    Edit: It seems my statement above may be incorrect. Some fluorocarbon strings might in fact be indistinguishable from fishing line. Either way, I wouldn't let that fact deter you from using fluorocarbons.
    Last edited by MopMan; 11-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    There are a lot of threads on this this issue. Strings are made from a number of materials...fluorocarbon is just one option.

    While the topic has cycled around and around with fluorocarbon strings, no one from a fluorocarbon factory has ever spoken up—and the fluorocarbon string “packagers” have also been silent. I say “packagers” because as far as I know, the only company that makes strings themselves in their own factory is Aquila—who does not make a fluorocarbon string. Everyone else has strings made for them—and no one is sure what the chemical differences are betweeen those strings.

    I do know people who buy Seaguar Blue fluorocarbon fishing string in bulk to string ukuleles—individuals, schools, and ukulele manufacturers. Those people have no complaints—there has been no damage—the feel like fluorocarbon strings—and they sound equivalent to other fluorocarbon strings.

    Martin fluorocarbon strings are usually my choice because I like how they feel, they aren’t that expensive, and they are available all over. Some prefer Oasis, Worth, or Ken Middleton Living Waters. To me, play with what you want and can afford—but I have no problem with the Seaguar users, either.

    (We’re pretty sure Seaguar manufactures some of most of the other brands—but no one is talking).
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

    Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    Totally, completely, and in all other ways FALSE. There are a hundred different kinds of fluorocarbon strings, none of which are fishing line.


    I have heard that some people have tried using actual fishing line... seems silly to me.
    Agreed.. I have titanium strings on one uke..living water on another and they seem very different from eachother! (I actually had Martin fluorocarbon strings on another uke and disliked them as they felt like fishing line!) I presented this observation and was shouted down politely as they had a very reputable source who carped on ( pun intended ��) that it's all fishing line! Ps the so called reputable source is a YouTube reviewer..very full of himself! Lol..slagged off a stagg uke as he didn't like the name ' stagg' not sure his opinion is worth a �� light!..Hopefully someone who makes ukuleles and sets them up might be more enlightening!? More reputable than mere opinion!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    412

    Default

    When you mention titanium strings up there, I'm guessing you're talking about the D'addario Titanium strings. Those are not fluorocarbon. They are monofilament. That is one reason they are so different.

    I don't know how anyone can say for 100% sure except the string sellers whether or not their strings come from fishing line companies.
    Personal opinion/guess: Yes, the fishing line companies probably are making all of the line repackaged and used as fluorocarbon strings. Personally, I don't see that as being a bad thing. Maybe some of the companies do change up their formula a bit for the string sellers. It's possible. Once again though, only they would know and they're not going to tell.
    It seems it's just simply the thought of your strings being fishing line that is bothering you, rather than anything to do with how well the strings work. Of course there are different makes of fluorocarbon line too, which is why it makes sense you'd not like Martin but like the Living Waters. It's personal preference there.

    Let me put something out there to try to prove a point I'm attempting to make: Wood is used in ukuleles. It can also be used in toilet seats. Maybe someone out there has a nice solid koa toilet seat. Does that take anything away from a nice solid koa uke just because the material can be used in other areas too?
    Last edited by jer; 11-11-2017 at 06:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    I disagree with this assessment: in every comparison test I've heard, the fishing line has sounded like fishing line—not awful, but noticeably not as good. Even if Seaguar makes both fishing line and instrument strings, it's faulty logic to say they're the same: that Seaguar uses the same formulations (and it's obvious that certain fluorocarbon strings are made with different formulations) or uses the same degree of quality control (fishing line doesn't need to intonate evenly over its entire length), and fishing line isn't available in the same range of diameters, for matching the tensions for specific pitches, a common challenge for people trying to use plain fishing line.
    I’ll find myself on the other side of the debate, as we often are, Ubulele. I’ll just leave it to Barry Maz and Got A Ukulele who came to the conclusion that Seaguar works just fine. And for the record—I don’t use Seaguar myself.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

    Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilomar View Post
    Agreed.. I have titanium strings on one uke..living water on another and they seem very different from eachother! (I actually had Martin fluorocarbon strings on another uke and disliked them as they felt like fishing line!) I presented this observation and was shouted down politely as they had a very reputable source who carped on ( pun intended ��) that it's all fishing line! Ps the so called reputable source is a YouTube reviewer..very full of himself! Lol..slagged off a stagg uke as he didn't like the name ' stagg' not sure his opinion is worth a �� light!..Hopefully someone who makes ukuleles and sets them up might be more enlightening!? More reputable than mere opinion!
    I use Seaguar fishing line on seven of my nine ukes. No complaints. I prefer it to Aquila nylgut because its brighter and gives a more resonant sound. If I were buying commercial strings Id go with Martins or Worths. But its always possible theyre simply fishing line specially made for the string distributors.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

    Raleigh Uke Jam:

    My YouTube page

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Maybe fishing line is just made from ukulele strings.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    When you mention titanium strings up there, I'm guessing you're talking about the D'addario Titanium strings. Those are not fluorocarbon. They are monofilament. That is one reason they are so different.

    I don't know how anyone can say for 100% sure except the string sellers whether or not their strings come from fishing line companies.
    Personal opinion/guess: Yes, the fishing line companies probably are making all of the line repackaged and used as fluorocarbon strings. Personally, I don't see that as being a bad thing. Maybe some of the companies do change up their formula a bit for the string sellers. It's possible. Once again though, only they would know and they're not going to tell.
    It seems it's just simply the thought of your strings being fishing line that is bothering you, rather than anything to do with how well the strings work. Of course there are different makes of fluorocarbon line too, which is why it makes sense you'd not like Martin but like the Living Waters. It's personal preference there.

    Let me put something out there to try to prove a point I'm attempting to make: Wood is used in ukuleles. It can also be used in toilet seats. Maybe someone out there has a nice solid koa toilet seat. Does that take anything away from a nice solid koa uke just because the material can be used in other areas too?
    Thought monofilament is a type of fishing line too! Lol..yes your right! It does bother me a bit..I happen to think ukuleles are splendid instruments and having stupid people telling us that ukes are fine with fishing line denigrates this fine instrument.. As does wearing silly hats or acting the buffoon whilst playing a ukulele..also in my opinion denigrates the ukulele.. I take playing my ukes fairly seriously...just bugs me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    We have had some experts in the past talk about formulation—and I’m not denying that. However—to my knowledge, no one has done a public study of formulation between Seaguar and the other brands. When we were testing motorcycle oil, we were able to send samples to a lab—pre and post use—of various oils. It didn’t take long to see that certain brands were made of the exact same chemical make-up. Is there anyone that can do chemical and visual (microscopic) analysis of strings to put this matter completely to bed?

    Ultimately, prove—without a doubt—that Seaguar is not equal, that it is a lesser product, that it is a different product, that it performs on a lower level, and that it might even hurt your ukulele—and no one will even think of using it ever again on a ukulele.

    Whatever the case, Seaguar HAS to be better than the strings on some of the low quality ukuleles (not talking Aquila Super Nylgut) out there.

    P.S. I’m sure that Aquila knows all of the answers, but as they have no fluorocarbon product and they make their own strings, they don’t need to address it.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

    Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •