Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really fishing line?

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Really? That's it? It seems a bit base to be grousing about paying the cost of a breakfast to get three or more years of playability from a package of Worth strings. I tend to agree with you. It wouldn't be worth my time to go to a sporting goods store and buy some spools of line to find out whether 10# test, or 12, or 14, or 20 will fit the nuts and give the proper tensions when tuned. However I can see where it would be worth a music teacher's effort to find the four spools that would adequately provide a classroom of instruments with strings.
    The spools option has been used by builders and ukulele clubs, too. I think my friend Paul said it works out to $1.90 per set of strings...which is a significant savings. Aquila has a better solution for education: colored KIDS strings that end up being about $2.50 per packed shipped in packs of 20 right from Aquila. This really helps instruction on a classroom set of ukuleles (We have 112 of them).
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

My concern always has been using what feels good and looks good and sounds good. I tried baz's fishing line experiment (he even suggests the proper tensions for each course in his video), and it works for me. I've also bought commercial string packs since, including Martins for my tenor. I've tried several varieties of Aquilas. The nylguts that came with my Firefly are fine. The ones on my Koa Flea were muddy and dull, so I swapped them out with fishing line within a couple of weeks. Very happy now.

If I ever run out of fishing line, I may return to individual string packs, but that issue isn't likely to come up any time soon.

If you have some sort of status-related issue accepting that your $15-$20 pack of strings may simply be high-grade fishing line that's been carefully tested, sorted, and packed for your convenience, then I've got nothing for you.
    Last edited by hendulele; 11-12-2017 at 04:07 AM.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    "Flurocarbon is a cross-linked chain" with frayed ends?

Nylon and flurocarbon are indeed different in many ways - but cross-linking isn't one of them. Please don't try to give the group a lesson in polymer chemistry, since you apparently aren't up to the task.
    Nylon: It's straight. It will always grow linearly, and then gets wadded up in a glob
    US20070107145A1-20070517-C00001.jpg

Flourocarbon:
    From left to right, you can see what happens when it polymerizes and gets longer. It starts to branch and bind back to itself.
    cfchain.jpg

If you want to think of it.. like untangling xmas lights. A straight line (nylon) of lights will pull more, than a net light.
    FC is like a net of carbon, and if you were to cut it from a sheet, the frayed ends are replaced with fluorine atoms
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spookelele; 11-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    Nylon: It's straight
    US20070107145A1-20070517-C00001.jpg

Flourocarbon: It's branched, and linked
    f1.png
    f2.png
    f3.png

If you want to think of it.. like untangling xmas lights. A straight line of lights will pull more, than a net light.
    None of those structures that you've posted are branched (one is substituted, which isn't the same thing, and two are alicyclic, not branched), and they also aren't the polyvinylidene fluoride used to make the fishing line - so what's the point? (For background, I do know a little bit about this sort of thing, being a Ph.D. polymer chemist retired from Dow Chemical with 40 years experience.)

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    None of those structures that you've posted are branched (one is substituted, which isn't the same thing, and two are alicyclic, not branched), and they also aren't the polyvinylidene fluoride used to make the fishing line - so what's the point? (For background, I do know a little bit about this sort of thing, being a Ph.D. polymer chemist retired from Dow Chemical with 40 years experience.)
    Ugh... perfluoro2methylpentane is branched. just look at it.
    I dont see why youre so dead set on trying to say Im wrong.

The point I make is a valid point. They are functionally different, and I may not have used precise terminology in trying an uncomplicated explanation with terms of spaghetti, and nets vs strings because when making a point to a non-technical audience, thats what you do.

It wasnt meant to be a technical abstract for a chemical journal.

Glad we got that all settled, again. Now on to more important subjects, like what's better high G or low G...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Glad we got that all settled, again. Now on to more important subjects, like what's better high G or low G...
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

ok, so how much string tension and what diameter of fluoro uke strings should I use to garrote myself?

or should I just use Seaguars fishing line or piano wire?

j/k

Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    or

how many angels can dance on the head of a pin

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    ok, so how much string tension and what diameter of fluoro uke strings should I use to garrote myself?

or should I just use Seaguars fishing line or piano wire?
    This was actually my point. Things are things. Anything that can be used for something becomes that thing based on it's useage, not because it was "intended" for that.
    The OP was is fishing line uke string, or vice versa.

If you had a long enough uke string, you could catch fish with it.
    And you can string a uke with fishing line, which then makes it a uke string.

Either way, it's plastic extruded through pretty much a pasta machine.

Just like the old gut strings were not born strings, but intestines.

Thread Information