Is it really fishing line?

Hilomar

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post so I hope it goes OK..I'm on this baritone forum and some of the people assure me that all fluorocarbon strings are merely repackaged fishing Line.. Could someone give me a definitive answer on this matter? Thankyou

Hi all. This is my first post so I hope it goes OK..I'm on this baritone forum and some of the people assure me that all fluorocarbon strings are merely repackaged fishing Line.. Could someone give me a definitive answer on this matter? Thankyou

Totally, completely, and in all other ways FALSE. There are a hundred different kinds of fluorocarbon strings, none of which are fishing line.

I have heard that some people have tried using actual fishing line... seems silly to me.

Edit: :confused: It seems my statement above may be incorrect. Some fluorocarbon strings might in fact be indistinguishable from fishing line. Either way, I wouldn't let that fact deter you from using fluorocarbons.

Last edited:
There are a lot of threads on this this issue. Strings are made from a number of materials...fluorocarbon is just one option.

While the topic has cycled around and around with fluorocarbon strings, no one from a fluorocarbon factory has ever spoken up—and the fluorocarbon string “packagers” have also been silent. I say “packagers” because as far as I know, the only company that makes strings themselves in their own factory is Aquila—who does not make a fluorocarbon string. Everyone else has strings made for them—and no one is sure what the chemical differences are betweeen those strings.

I do know people who buy Seaguar Blue fluorocarbon fishing string in bulk to string ukuleles—individuals, schools, and ukulele manufacturers. Those people have no complaints—there has been no damage—the feel like fluorocarbon strings—and they sound equivalent to other fluorocarbon strings.

Martin fluorocarbon strings are usually my choice because I like how they feel, they aren’t that expensive, and they are available all over. Some prefer Oasis, Worth, or Ken Middleton Living Waters. To me, play with what you want and can afford—but I have no problem with the Seaguar users, either.

(We’re pretty sure Seaguar manufactures some of most of the other brands—but no one is talking).

Totally, completely, and in all other ways FALSE. There are a hundred different kinds of fluorocarbon strings, none of which are fishing line.

I have heard that some people have tried using actual fishing line... seems silly to me.
Agreed.. I have titanium strings on one uke..living water on another and they seem very different from eachother! (I actually had Martin fluorocarbon strings on another uke and disliked them as they felt like fishing line!) I presented this observation and was shouted down politely as they had a very reputable source who carped on ( pun intended ��) that it's all fishing line! Ps the so called reputable source is a YouTube reviewer..very full of himself! Lol..slagged off a stagg uke as he didn't like the name ' stagg' not sure his opinion is worth a �� light!..Hopefully someone who makes ukuleles and sets them up might be more enlightening!? More reputable than mere opinion!

When you mention titanium strings up there, I'm guessing you're talking about the D'addario Titanium strings. Those are not fluorocarbon. They are monofilament. That is one reason they are so different.

I don't know how anyone can say for 100% sure except the string sellers whether or not their strings come from fishing line companies.
Personal opinion/guess: Yes, the fishing line companies probably are making all of the line repackaged and used as fluorocarbon strings. Personally, I don't see that as being a bad thing. Maybe some of the companies do change up their formula a bit for the string sellers. It's possible. Once again though, only they would know and they're not going to tell.
It seems it's just simply the thought of your strings being fishing line that is bothering you, rather than anything to do with how well the strings work. Of course there are different makes of fluorocarbon line too, which is why it makes sense you'd not like Martin but like the Living Waters. It's personal preference there.

Let me put something out there to try to prove a point I'm attempting to make: Wood is used in ukuleles. It can also be used in toilet seats. Maybe someone out there has a nice solid koa toilet seat. Does that take anything away from a nice solid koa uke just because the material can be used in other areas too?

Last edited:
I disagree with this assessment: in every comparison test I've heard, the fishing line has sounded like fishing line—not awful, but noticeably not as good. Even if Seaguar makes both fishing line and instrument strings, it's faulty logic to say they're the same: that Seaguar uses the same formulations (and it's obvious that certain fluorocarbon strings are made with different formulations) or uses the same degree of quality control (fishing line doesn't need to intonate evenly over its entire length), and fishing line isn't available in the same range of diameters, for matching the tensions for specific pitches, a common challenge for people trying to use plain fishing line.

I’ll find myself on the other side of the debate, as we often are, Ubulele. I’ll just leave it to Barry Maz and Got A Ukulele who came to the conclusion that Seaguar works just fine. And for the record—I don’t use Seaguar myself.

Agreed.. I have titanium strings on one uke..living water on another and they seem very different from eachother! (I actually had Martin fluorocarbon strings on another uke and disliked them as they felt like fishing line!) I presented this observation and was shouted down politely as they had a very reputable source who carped on ( pun intended ��) that it's all fishing line! Ps the so called reputable source is a YouTube reviewer..very full of himself! Lol..slagged off a stagg uke as he didn't like the name ' stagg' not sure his opinion is worth a �� light!..Hopefully someone who makes ukuleles and sets them up might be more enlightening!? More reputable than mere opinion!

I use Seaguar fishing line on seven of my nine ukes. No complaints. I prefer it to Aquila nylgut because it’s brighter and gives a more resonant sound. If I were buying commercial strings I’d go with Martins or Worths. But it’s always possible they’re simply fishing line specially made for the string distributors.

When you mention titanium strings up there, I'm guessing you're talking about the D'addario Titanium strings. Those are not fluorocarbon. They are monofilament. That is one reason they are so different.

I don't know how anyone can say for 100% sure except the string sellers whether or not their strings come from fishing line companies.
Personal opinion/guess: Yes, the fishing line companies probably are making all of the line repackaged and used as fluorocarbon strings. Personally, I don't see that as being a bad thing. Maybe some of the companies do change up their formula a bit for the string sellers. It's possible. Once again though, only they would know and they're not going to tell.
It seems it's just simply the thought of your strings being fishing line that is bothering you, rather than anything to do with how well the strings work. Of course there are different makes of fluorocarbon line too, which is why it makes sense you'd not like Martin but like the Living Waters. It's personal preference there.

Let me put something out there to try to prove a point I'm attempting to make: Wood is used in ukuleles. It can also be used in toilet seats. Maybe someone out there has a nice solid koa toilet seat. Does that take anything away from a nice solid koa uke just because the material can be used in other areas too?
Thought monofilament is a type of fishing line too! Lol..yes your right! It does bother me a bit..I happen to think ukuleles are splendid instruments and having stupid people telling us that ukes are fine with fishing line denigrates this fine instrument.. As does wearing silly hats or acting the buffoon whilst playing a ukulele..also in my opinion denigrates the ukulele.. I take playing my ukes fairly seriously...just bugs me.

We have had some experts in the past talk about formulation—and I’m not denying that. However—to my knowledge, no one has done a public study of formulation between Seaguar and the other brands. When we were testing motorcycle oil, we were able to send samples to a lab—pre and post use—of various oils. It didn’t take long to see that certain brands were made of the exact same chemical make-up. Is there anyone that can do chemical and visual (microscopic) analysis of strings to put this matter completely to bed?

Ultimately, prove—without a doubt—that Seaguar is not equal, that it is a lesser product, that it is a different product, that it performs on a lower level, and that it might even hurt your ukulele—and no one will even think of using it ever again on a ukulele.

Whatever the case, Seaguar HAS to be better than the strings on some of the low quality ukuleles (not talking Aquila Super Nylgut) out there.

P.S. I’m sure that Aquila knows all of the answers, but as they have no fluorocarbon product and they make their own strings, they don’t need to address it.

After doing my homework reading on the subject, I bought bulk Seaguar Premier leader in two gauges, each to replace the 3rd string on my fifths tuned ukes, a tenor in CGDA and baritone in GDAE. I had previously installed Thomastik classical flatwounds, which I still use on both instruments for the 4th string. To this lifelong musician's ears, the Seaguar sounds extremely good - full sound, ample sustain, and intonation is right there. I can't speak for any other fishing line or brands. This is Seaguar's most expensive product. The main reason I chose to try it was to reduce finger noise. (Yes, even with Thomastiks, I could hear it - I just have noisy fingers, I guess!) For that reason I prefer an unwound third string, and this turned out to be just the ideal substitution I had hoped for in every way.

(If string makers aren't using Seaguar leader, one wonders by what strange coincidence certain companies have fluoro strings with identical gauges to theirs. Hmmmm.... )

bratsche

@MOPman, why do you say this so definitively? I’m curious on what basis you’re so sure since the topic has remained a bit of mystery for many.

My understanding is there are only a handful of factories that make fluorocarbon line. They make all the fishing line, all the flouro instruments strings, etc. there is no other source.

I happen to know several people who use large spools of fishing line, selecting different gauges for each string. And this is worth a read for those interested:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/something-fishy-fishing-line-as-ukulele.html?m=1

Last edited:
I have been using fishing line (leader) at different levels since 2010. Here is my take on it...

Seaguar is owned by Kuhera. Kuhera was the first producer of fluorocarbon classical guitar strings for Savarez.

Over the years I have used about a half-a-dozen manufacturers and fishing line levels. There are definitely differences between fishing line manufacturers and within their offerings. I have no doubt that there are formulary differences in the manufacture of fishing line. Therefore, it stands to reason that there will be differences between some (all???) fishing line and ukulele strings.

While not privy to manufacturing cost and run size, I would imagine a company would need to run a substantial amount of ukulele strings to develop totally unique formulas. But that may not hold true.

Bad fishing line usually make poor strings. They all work, but there are significant differences in sound and intonation. Intonation is driven by string/fishing line consistency.

Today I use only 2 sizes of Seaguar fishing leader to replace either the C string or the A string; and only if a slightly thinner string sounds/balances out better. I only use Seaguar Premier because it is IFGA rated for tournaments so it is made to closer tolerances and is higher quality. It makes an excellent string, but I wouldn't recommend stocking up on a bunch if sizes. But for me it is cheaper than buying a set of ukulele strings just for an A or a C.

John

Last edited:

I have heard that some people have tried using actual fishing line... seems silly to me...

Edit: :confused: It seems my statement above may be incorrect. It seems some fluorocarbon strings might in fact be indistinguishable from fishing line. Either way, I wouldn't let that fact deter you from using fluorocarbons.

Not to burst any bubbles, but the common wisdom of the Hive Mind of both the uke-world and classical guitar realm will take you to task for an authoritative source for the original statement.

I'd suggest that you to learn from the experience of others here in this community on UU if you wish to enhance your ukulele experience.

Oasis Strings started their fluoro strings lines with assistance of master artisan luthier Chuck Moore, and have openly admitted to using fluoro fishing leader as the source of the strings, and there are threads here on UU that show the beta-testing and discussions of the entire process. You can find those threads by searching the forum.

Oasis Strings are loved by MANY here in the uke community, and really are just fluoro fishing leader, cut from spools to 63" lengths for two sets in the pack and labeled as 'ukulele strings' or other lengths and sold as 'classical guitar strings' in their GPX-named products.

@MOPman, why do you say this so definitively? I’m curious on what basis you’re so sure since the topic has remained a bit of mystery for many.

My understanding is there are only a handful of factories that make fluorocarbon line. They make all the fishing line, all the flouro instruments strings, etc. there is no other source.

I happen to know several people who use large spools of fishing line, selecting different gauges for each string. And this is worth a read for those interested:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/something-fishy-fishing-line-as-ukulele.html?m=1

I agree with you here, and thanks for posting this so I don't have to.

After personally testing over 100 different sets of strings, including fluorocarbons from many many string makers, I can confirm that while all the strings labeled as 'fluorocarbon', some are different, and not just in color, gauge, feel or tension.

Some products like Fremont Blacklines, or Worth Browns are colored differently, but also FEEL and SOUND different than the clear strings of the same gauges by the same maker.

-

Is it all snake oil? I don't know, as I am not a chemist, nor care to split hairs, but I know that not all fluoro strings will play the same (not talking about gauges/diameters), and having tried Seaguars fluoro fishing leader myself in sets given to me that are the same gauges as the Worth CT strings, I could not tell any difference between the Seaguars and Worths on the ukes I tested them on.

YMMV :) :music:

I once proposed this on the Marketplace BB and was accused of fishing for gullibles.
So here goes again. I've wondered if using hollow core, constant diameter fly fishing line for all four strings and filling the 3 descending strings with increasing density material to produce the proper notes with almost the same tension on each string.

I once proposed this on the Marketplace BB and was accused of fishing for gullibles.
So here goes again. I've wondered if using hollow core, constant diameter fly fishing line for all four strings and filling the 3 descending strings with increasing density material to produce the proper notes with almost the same tension on each string.

Isn't this something like what Dirk over at Southcoast attempts? Uses a variety of materials to get strings of similar gauges and tensions with different densities in order to produce sets that feel consistent across all four strings for good, predictable response when playing? I've never used his strings so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure I read it on their site - that they aim for consistent tension across the set and gauge where possible.

When you mention titanium strings up there, I'm guessing you're talking about the D'addario Titanium strings. Those are not fluorocarbon. They are monofilament.

"Monofilament" just means it is a single extruded piece of plastic - not woven or spun or wound. So D'Addario Titanium strings may not be fluorocarbon, but calling them monofilament doesn't prove anything.

Fluorocarbon strings = fishing line...Fake news!!!

Just think, in an inverse scenario. snobby fishermen who own the best gear and fish from the priciest yachts might be on their forums discussing the provenance of their specially engineered, top-of-the-line competition grade leader in similar terms:

"From a factory that makes ukulele strings, you say? What slanderous, blasphemous twaddle!"

bratsche

Top Bottom