Is it really fishing line?

This was actually my point. Things are things. Anything that can be used for something becomes that thing based on it's useage, not because it was "intended" for that.
The OP was is fishing line uke string, or vice versa.

If you had a long enough uke string, you could catch fish with it.
And you can string a uke with fishing line, which then makes it a uke string.

Either way, it's plastic extruded through pretty much a pasta machine.

Just like the old gut strings were not born strings, but intestines.
very wel put..on the whole I agree..and from the remarks of the great and the good here I think it is clearly fishing line! But as you so cogently put it. It's only fishing line if used for angling if used for playing a ukulele it's ukulele string! However some of my ukes were expensive instruments and it doesn't sit well with me using bloody fishing line on my much loved ukuleles..hahaha.. Even though by mystery actually fishing spool magically becomes ukulele string! If used on a uke! Think I shall carry on using aquila strings or the very good kala pearls strings...seems the armchair experts on the baritone group where this question arose were possibly right? However they have banned me!! Lol..for having the temerity to disagree? Ah the irony!

It's not fishing line it's florocarbon. It's not ukulele string its florocarbon. Its not bread or pasta or pastry its wheat. You use an element to make "something" from it then you stick a name on it. A rose by any other name is still a rose

I know a top class luthier that uses fishing leader (flouro-carbon) on all his ukes.
I won’t name drop, but I am guessing almost everyone here would love to own one of his ukes.

I know a top class luthier that uses fishing leader (flouro-carbon) on all his ukes.
I won’t name drop, but I am guessing almost everyone here would love to own one of his ukes.
Do you mean Mr kala? I have one of his ukes it's OK? I also have one made by his mother, ma kala! Better in my opinion.. It's got a dinky dolphin shaped bridge.

Do you mean Mr kala? I have one of his ukes it's OK? I also have one made by his mother, ma kala! Better in my opinion.. It's got a dinky dolphin shaped bridge.

I think he means Mr Moore.
We would all love to have one of his.
it's actually on my bucket list..... some day...

Perhaps not quite in the same league just yet, but Bonanza Ukes from Minnesota come strung with fishing line. The owner had his set up with spools of line at the Silver Creek Uke fest this August.

I think he means Mr Moore.
We would all love to have one of his.
it's actually on my bucket list..... some day...
I have a ukulele by Mr Eckhaus..and one by Mr Claughton I wouldn't trade either of them...

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. There have been hundreds of threads over the years on what strings to use for a particular ukulele, and typically there are many options. For a couple of ukuleles, I've spent years of string chasing for just the right balance and sound and for others, I string them up and that's the end of it.

Fishing leaders work fine for ukulele strings, but the results can be just as fickle from one uke to the other. But if you have a real lot of ukuleles and you use a lot of string sets, spending $50 - $100 for 25 yards might be a good route to go. We all know that some luthiers use fishing leaders, so there is something to it.

There was a thread a long time ago by UU member OldePhart on what to so with 42 sets of ukulele strings; which is what he got out of 4 rolls of fishing line. For most people that is not a viable long term option economically, especially if better strings come along in the next 10 years.

John

Last edited:
The spools option has been used by builders and ukulele clubs, too. I think my friend Paul said it works out to $1.90 per set of strings...which is a significant savings. Aquila has a better solution for education: colored KIDS strings that end up being about $2.50 per packed shipped in packs of 20 right from Aquila. This really helps instruction on a classroom set of ukuleles (We have 112 of them).

That’s right...I’ve got a video on my website that shows the difference. Is it “Worth” it? (Sorry...I teach middle school...) It depends. http://www.ukuleleforteachers.com/string-comparisons.html

I think the Aquila Kids Strings are better for teaching, and with the cost to schools being as close to fishing line as it is, I switched to the Aquilas. But there are other benefits to the fishing line....community engagement. It’s a major issue that we music teachers have to deal with all the time. Just ask a group of parents who has extra fishing line in “such-and-such” weight and what you plan to do with it (and most who fish have way more line than they’ll ever use), and suddenly, you have a group of people invested in the program in a different way than just asking for more money.

THAT’S invaluable...

Very entertaining thread. Seems mostly opinion rather than fact, but I'm no scientist. I like Aquila and Mimmo, and what the company stands for (environmentally friendly), but I just don't like playing the strings. I don't care what they're made of, or where, I'll stick with my Worth Browns. I do have a set of Aquila Reds around here someplace that I bought for my banjouke, but they're the wrong size ARGH! I just wish Aquilas didn't have to be so damned thick.
I am considering the Aquila Kids strings for the 100 teaching ukes we have, when they finally need new ones.

I want to add a few points. First, fishing line was nylon for many years, and still is. Dupont nylon fishing line was the first nylon classical guitar sets with Andres Segovia as an early adopter.

Fluorocarbon is a fairly modern invention that many now use for fishing but many also still use nylon for fishing. It depends on what type of fishing they are doing. When I did the Ko’olau Aho line (Aho is Hawaiian for fishing line, no secrets here) I went through a number of different fluoro manufacturers trying their premier lines. I eventually found ones reliable I liked. Fluorocarbon comes in different levels of quality and consistency to the diameter. There’s different gauges, density, and other factors as well. I have many rolls of string I will most likely never use. But it’s something I wanted to do, and I still want to continue to offer different variations because I like these combinations and think other will too.

Bottom line is this, go with your ear, what you hear and like, not what you read or think. And buy your strings however you think is in your best interest. If you’re a Costco shopper and bulk is your thing, and you go through lots of strings, then by all means, give it a shot. There’s a handful of good options out there.

Last edited:
Paul—thanks for adding to the topic and for the link to your blog—great resource, Educators! Take note!

The other point that hasn’t been discussed is the history of the instrument. It woudld seem logical that the first ukuleles would have used fishing line for strings?

One other question: has anyone played actual gut strings? I’m curious as to what the difference is in feel and tension and sound...but I have 0% interest in buying real gut strings for any of my instruments.

Paul—thanks for adding to the topic and for the link to your blog—great resource, Educators! Take note!

The other point that hasn’t been discussed is the history of the instrument. It woudld seem logical that the first ukuleles would have used fishing line for strings?

One other question: has anyone played actual gut strings? I’m curious as to what the difference is in feel and tension and sound...but I have 0% interest in buying real gut strings for any of my instruments.
No, but the tech in my local music store has a vintage Martin and only uses gut strings on it. It sounds great, but then irt is a vintage Martin and probably would sound great with nylon or floro. He probably gets them at cost as I am way too cheap to use them. Amazon has them for $34 a set.
Now we can also discuss which animal guts are the best.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquila-Genui...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MXUJFEM

Very entertaining thread. Seems mostly opinion rather than fact, but I'm no scientist. I like Aquila and Mimmo, and what the company stands for (environmentally friendly), but I just don't like playing the strings. I don't care what they're made of, or where, I'll stick with my Worth Browns. I do have a set of Aquila Reds around here someplace that I bought for my banjouke, but they're the wrong size ARGH! I just wish Aquilas didn't have to be so damned thick.
I am considering the Aquila Kids strings for the 100 teaching ukes we have, when they finally need new ones.
Agreed..why are aquila strings so thick? But I'm not grumbling, As it looks like my string of choice for the
Future (I'm not using fishing line) string of no choice more like..it is what it is

One thing I'd like to add... over the years these fishing line threads pop up and are largely based on experience, reasonable conjecture, and opinion. What seems to always be lacking is someone from the industry selling fluorocarbon strings to confirm or deny the opinions of this topic.

I would never expect a mfg/retailer to provide source information or any other proprietary data that the person/company spent time and effort (money) necessary to develop their product. It is their livelihood. But it would be nice to get a definitive answer as to whether the strings are the same as what is found in your local bait shop, or additional processes are done to make the line consistent enough for use. Even if confirmed, I doubt the average person would make the investment. Those that need bulk may benefit from it, or have already moved in that direction.

John

Top Bottom