Need help figuring out ukulele strings

noctuatacita

Reaction score
Okay, so I decided to re-string my ukulele for the first time since I got it. I got a package of Aquila Ukulele - New Nylgut strings, and the color legend on them said

1A - Red
2E - Blue
3C - Green
4G - White

... but these don't quite match the colors inside the package. Inside the package were 3 white strings, one with a blue tip, one with a red tip, and one with no colored tip at all, and one completely red string with no colored tip.
I'm assuming the white one without a colored tip is G and the white one with a blue tip is E, but I'm kind of stuck w/ regards to the other two. Any help?

EDIT:
Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. It turns out what happened was a low-g set got stuck in high-g packaging. I exchanged it at the store for a different set (same brand/model) with strings that actually match the legend, and now I'm all set!

Last edited:
The only string to really worry about is the red tipped one. It can be difficult to see the difference in diameter between the A and G strings. The C and E strings are noticeably different.

Visually, you should be able to see strings of different thickness. The thickest will be the C string (3rd string from the floor when holding the ukulele). The next thickest will be the E string (2nd string from the floor). The non colored thinnest one will be the G string (4th string from the floor, closest to you), and the red one will be the A String (1st string closest to the floor).

That’s assuming this is a set of reentrant strings. If this is a low G set...all of that changes.

I was once shipped a banjo ukulele from a store that had been strung incorrectly...the C and E strings were switched, and it took a little while for me to figure it out. My fingers appreciated it when I figured it out.

Last edited:
Okay, so I decided to re-string my ukulele for the first time since I got it. I got a package of Aquila Ukulele - New Nylgut strings, and the color legend on them said

1A - Red
2E - Blue
3C - Green
4G - White

... but these don't quite match the colors inside the package. Inside the package were 3 white strings, one with a blue tip, one with a red tip, and one with no colored tip at all, and one completely red string with no colored tip.
I'm assuming the white one without a colored tip is G and the white one with a blue tip is E, but I'm kind of stuck w/ regards to the other two. Any help?

What is the model# on the string pack, there is usually a sticker that says something like 'Aquila 87U Tenor GCEA'?

If you can share this info, then the exact string set can be sorted out. having said that, the 'all red' string is usually a low-G and that goes in the position of the G string, i.e. "4G - White" as per your post, but if you can give the string set #, we can know for sure.

You can ALSO compare the string set # to the listing/info on Aquila's web site here:

https://aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/modern-instrument/3190/ukulele/?lang=en

which you can get to via PRODUCTS >> MODERN INSTRUMENT SETS >> UKULELE/BANJOUKE

However, I'm currently getting a 503 error at the time of posting this message, so their web site might be having issues with the server, so you can also check here:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/aquila-ukulele-strings-685/

You are correct, it was a low-G string and the strings were mis-packaged. All fixed now!

Top Bottom