Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Believe it or not, this was the flip side of the massive hit "Seasons in the sun" by Terry Jacks. Some have said this was the worst B side in history. I read an interview with Jacks where he said they only did a few takes of this one, and he wanted a song on the flip side that nobody would ever play so the other side could be the biggest hit possible. In true Terry Jacks fashion, this is my 2nd take. It's also about a dog, so it fits the theme in that way as well. The double entendre of this song made me giggle as a 9 year old kid in 1974, and it makes me giggle in 2017, which tells you a lot about my maturity level......

Here's one I recorded yesterday my obscure Wisconsin country singer Larry Lee Phillipson. This may be a 2$ entry here! They are doing Christmas music on the Bonanza uke Facebook page, and I think it's too early for Christmas music, but I did it cause I love trying to pick this one. Sean, are we allowed to do more than one song by the same artist or no? If no, I may do his biggest hit, a rockabilly song, but it's still very obscure.

So many wonderful, serious songs so far! Well, that ends now. Cliff Edwards - "Ukulele Ike" sang more than just Jiminy Cricket and cowboy songs. He also supplemented his income by recording a few "adult" songs meant for tavern juke boxes, much like what Benny Bell did. These songs were very "risqué" for the time, with an apparently "dirty-sexy" theme that becomes innocent at the end. I think this'll get by the censors today.

I added piano and tuba because of course I did.

Original

Last edited:
Following Ryan's lead, so I hope it's legal, this is one I put on the Island a few days ago by country singer Penny DeHaven, who should have been a big star but never was. This was about her biggest hit, made it to #34 I think in the charts in the late 60's. I Love this song, and am a big fan of hers. This could be a 2$ entry too possibly. I have another song of hers I've been working on the past few days if we're allowed to do more than one song by the same artist.

i'm forever discovering "new" (to me!) marc bolan songs, this is a very very early one from before his t rex days, it was new to me before yesterday, i hope it's new to you too!

"the third degree"

300!!!!

I listen to New Orleans jazz once and awhile on Pandora. When I hear a song I like I take a screen shot. I heard this one the other day. New to me but I loved it's simplicity but catchyness. I hope I captured a but of it.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjalEFx6mXs

SOTU 300 - Christmas in Hollis - RUN DMC

I stumbled across this - had no clue it existed. It's a deep cut for me but if you have heard it before don't post it. Oh dammit...I forgot the header...Here it is in text form!

ALRIIIIIIIGHT. Seasons of the Ukulele 300 is Deep Throat...I mean cuts...

This is like a gameshow we have over here called Pointless - you have to try and guess the most obscure answer and figure out what other people don't know :D

I've assumed that if we think the artist is sufficiently obscure, then it can be their most famous hit (within the circles aware of them) rather than an obscure hit from an obscure artist. But I'm gambling that they ARE obscure and it's not just me.... :confused:

Anywhoodles I've gone for a Swiss/German band called BOY with their song Little Numbers:

This and the following song are both by Kathy Dalton, from her 1973 album Amazing. It was re-released in 1974 with a slightly different track list under the title Boogie Bands and One Night Stands. Her backing band was Little Feat plus a couple of other people, such as Van Dyke Parks. All her songs were written by Greg Dempsey.

Another Aussie band.
If you haven't heard of Daddy Cool it's time you did.
Their biggest hit was Eagle Rock.
But they got quite a lot of air play here in my high school days.
Ross Wilson (lead singer and probably the song writer) has become pretty entrenched in the music industry here in Oz.
The worst thing he did imho is become an opinionator on one of those dreadful music competition TV shows (a la Simon Cowell).
This one is a simply constructed song called Come Back Again

I'm getting a soft dig from a fellow Aussie claiming that Daddy Cool will not be obscure.
I am wondering how many of you non Aussies have heard of them or the Come Back Again song above .....

Last edited:
I think it's too early for Christmas music, but I did it cause I love trying to pick this one. Sean, are we allowed to do more than one song by the same artist or no?

Yes, you can absolutely do more than one song by the same artist.
And yes, it is too early for Christmas music. Lol.

Season 300. Submission 1. "Song For A Winter's Night" (Written and recorded by Gordon Lightfoot, 1965)

Thanks so much for hosting, Sean, and for your terrific theme!

Ok - here's where I'm going with this one. Gordon Lightfoot was a major presence in the 60s-70s folk scene with hits that charted like "Early Morning Rain," "If You Could Read My Mind," "Sundown," and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

But often my fave songs of his have been the deeper cuts from the albums. I love this one, though i'm not quite ready for the onset of winter yet. (Long Island has just had its first dose of single digit wind chill temps this weekend.)

Dave Carter's "Gas Station Girl"

Hoo boy, this is my kind of season!

To celebrate the 300th Season of the Ukulele, I broke out my old Regal tiple for a cover of Dave Carter's "Gas Station Girl". The original is on the Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer album "Seven Is the Number", which came out in 2006, four years after his untimely death.

Dave was a songwriters' songwriter. The kind of guy other songwriters like to cover. His song "The Mountain" was covered by Judy Collins and Willie Nelson. Go seek out all of his recordings with Tracy Grammer.

- FiL

Said it before saying it again - the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts are a rabbit hole that just keeps giving -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cHEKNu1V4

Good percussion adds so much imho - a lot of pop music is basically drums bass and vocals.....

I totally agree Brian! Great stuff. Jam In The Van is another YT channel I go to to listen to newer live tunes.

I'm getting a soft dig from a fellow Aussie claiming that Daddy Cool will not be obscure.
I am wondering how many of you non Aussies have heard of them or the Come Back Again song above .....

When I was living in Sydney I wasn't too far away from Manly. Their rugby team uses Eagle Rock as their theme song. Only reason I'd have heard it.

I think there's plenty of cracking Aussie acts that'll be completely obscure to most people in the northern hemisphere, more's the pity.

Top Bottom