Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Devil Knows You're Dead - Delta Spirit

Takes me awhile longer to get down these ones I wanna do the one-man band thing on.

Blame Accepted. But what a rad song for you to play in two weeks.....LOL

Indeed. And I'm gonna play the crap out of it. It'll be a winter freaking wonderland at my place.

Indeed. And I'm gonna play the crap out of it. It'll be a winter freaking wonderland at my place.

With presents and elves and all kinds of Christmas crap-ola. I still have the card from a few years back on my fridge to remind me LOL
I will be sitting in the dark plotting my next move. Part of that will likely be a "few beers in" kitchen session played for a friend. OMG SANTA.

With presents and elves and all kinds of Christmas crap-ola. I still have the card from a few years back on my fridge to remind me LOL
I will be sitting in the dark plotting my next move. Part of that will likely be a "few beers in" kitchen session played for a friend. OMG SANTA.
Someday I will tell my mother in law “sorry, but Dave & Melissa are coming for Christmas this year.” And it will be like you are at the North Pole my friend. We’ll go caroling around the neighborhood, we’ll hang our stockings bye and we’ll put out cookies and milk for Santa.

Someday I will tell my mother in law “sorry, but Dave & Melissa are coming for Christmas this year.” And it will be like you are at the North Pole my friend. We’ll go caroling around the neighborhood, we’ll hang our stockings bye and we’ll put out cookies and milk for Santa.

Lets do that next year. I love to give my girls presents...and I love to be around you folks-you are my people. You get me without me having to be got. Tell you what....I say we change the Grinch next year because my heart isn't shriveled...it just needs work.

Here's one from the Kinks. I'm classing it as a deep cut because it doesn't get the airtime You Really Got Me, Waterloo Sunset or Lola get, but it's a damn good song regardless.

It was released as a single in the UK but only charted at 17, breaking a run of 13 consecutive top 10s for them. As a result it was only a B-Side when it was released in the States.

I discovered it as a cover by Queens of the Stone Age, a bonus track from their Songs for the Deaf album. It's the simple kind of love song that I can relate to my relationship with Mrs RABB.

I've also caught Nathan's cold so my voice is even ropier than normal.

Richard Buckner put a bunch of poems from Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology (1915)
to music and released them as a one track LP called 'The Hill' in 2000.

This theme allows me to dig deep into my past repertoire. Here is a song from 1984 that I wrote for the wonderful woman who had agreed to share some of her life with me back then.
Berni love songs are few and far between - I hope you enjoy this one. I am glad to report that though we went our separate ways we are still good friends and still in regular contact and I try to pop in and say hello whenever I am in England. And Carmen and her are good friends too :)

I forgot to wrap things up last night, though I did get caught up with your wonderful vids. This week has been such a joy thus far.
Tomorrow the kinds and I hit the road for a marathon 10 hour drive to go to CA and see my dad, as well as an uncle of mine who sadly is dying from cancer. I will do my best to wrap the season through the weekend but it may take more time for me to get caught up than usual.
Here are the gifts you've shared the past 24 hours:

wee_ginga_yin - Wanna Fight Your Father - More Rubberbandidts! This song is pretty much my worst nightmare as a dad. Luckily for me I'm taking taekwondo. If a guy ever sells my hubcaps to buy my daughter a tattoo I might truly lose it. Cool song though for sure. It pulls me in two different directions; one as a father and the other as someone who love rock and roll.

greyghost - Acoustic Song - Talk about going deep! I wouldn't have guessed this came from Iron Maiden's front man. Really nice, still has a bit of a dark overtone to it. I grew up with a friend who was heavy into Iron Maiden. I bet he hasn't even heard this song!

One Man And His Uke - Thrown Like A Stone - Murray The Hump, that is an interesting name! Not the type of song I would expect from a guy with that name. Good tune though! I really like it. Superb playing and singing here. And some harp makes it that much more enjoyable.

BigDaddyUker - Happy Holidays Ya’ll - I’ll listen to this one on December 1st. LOL, just kidding. Pile on the Christmas folks, make my wife howl. You are clearly having fun with this one BigD.*

kolibri - Jää kauaks mu juurde" (Stay By Me For A Long Time) - Lovely song. Thank you for including the lyrics. I agree, this goes well with the coming of winter. The lyrics are earnest and sweet. Very nice. And a bonus song to boot!

xommen - I Will Follow - Of course at first glance I thought this must be the U2 song. This is very nice. I love the lyrics; driven and positive. Great bring.

ukuleledaddy - Rock Bottom Never Felt So Good - This would be much better as a collab. Just sayin’.

Harry122 - Glasses - I love Bowser! Never heard this tune before. Much more slow and deep than any She na na tune I've ever heard. I love the piano bit at the end. Really nice tune.

Recovering Bassist - The New Raunchy - Raunchy stomp! I know a handful of Webb Pierce tunes and love every one of them. This is new to me. Shady Wall, what a find! Thanks.

bird’s eye view of my ukulele - Come On Santa - I'm going to put strychnine in TCK's beer when I see him. JK. He loves to rib me about Christmas because I love it and can't stand when the carols start coming out in November. That said, this is really a great tune. I'm sure I will include it in my Christmas songs rotation when December comes. DECEMBER!

AlanDP - Roll On Jordan - I love this. Man, what a great tune. My kind of song. Very catchy. I'm gonna check out this rabbit hole for sure.

Ginas uke - Anna Begins - I like Counting Crows. A Long December pretty much saved me when I was living in L.A. Never heard this tune though. Thanks for exposing me to another one of their tunes. Nice!

AlanDP - Golden Lark - Yeah, new to me. Doesn't even sound like a Styx song to me. Gonna have to check out the original. Cool tune. I love the overdubbed vocals. Thanks.

pabrizzer - 4 & 20 Blues - On this song you sound like someone I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Bit of a low down raunchy blues feel. I like it a lot. And there's that lonesome harp. Really nice Brian.

Tomcat Wombat - Devil Knows You’re Dead - Oh God I love this song. Been a favorite of mine for a while now. I'm so glad someone else enjoys this tune as well. I think you and I have a lot of musical favorites in common. Now I really need to get me a harmonica. I was really close to playing this on one of the radio shows. Not sure why I didn't. Didn't fit in musically with the rest of the stuff I guess. So glad you played this. Very well done.

RAB11 - Everybody Gonna Be Happy - I agree that this is a deep cut. I LOVE The Kinks. And I do love this song. It was featured in the movie High Fidelity. If you haven't seen the film do yourself a favor. Really nice version here for sure. Thanks!

mountain goat - Julia Miller - Turning me onto more Buckner goodness here Jon. A powerful, gut wrenching and tragic tune, and you give yourself fully to it. You do this song great justice. Interesting because I've been working on a monologue from the point of view of a rescue worker who was unable to stop a young, pregnant teen who was infected with AIDS and strung out from jumping to her death. Powerful stuff right here. Thank you.

Barbablanca - As Simple As That - I appreciate that you included the lyrics. This is a song for the ages. With all the sexual harassment charges coming down against powerful men here in The States this song gives me hope that not all is lost, that men can recognize and celebrate the strength of women as well as our own insecurities. Brilliant. As a side not, my first love was from England and we stayed in contact for years as friends after she left. I do wish we were still in contact.*

Clannad are an Irish family band made up of a sister and brother and some cousins, I think. They've been around for a long, long time. The lead singer is the sister of popular Celtic "new age" artist Enya.

This song is from the album Macalla, which I think was probably their most well-known album in the U.S. Their music tends to be very atmospheric and haunting.

I don’t think I realized the jumps in range on this one! Lucy Dacus is one of my favorite new songwriters and I hope I did her justice. ❤️

Doug Figgs is a cowboy singer/songwriter who lives in New Mexico. I'll put his website link below. I don't remember where I heard this song; it could have been the Cow Trails podcast I mentioned in a previous season. I grabbed this song a long time ago and it's been sitting in the corner of my desktop ever since. I finally worked out the lyrics & chords tonight. Original key of C, but it was a little low for my voice.

https://www.dougfiggs.com/

This is an obscure Richard Thompson song. As far as I know, he only released it on a cassette called "Doom and Gloom from the Tomb" that was available to members of his U.S. fan club. I know it from a cover version (by Bob Adams, John French, Henry Kaiser & Andy West) on a compilation called "Circle Dance" that was made for disabled children's charities by his U.K. fan club. Graham Parker later did a version on a Thompson tribute album.

I'm sorry to hear about your neck troubles. And no worries if you can't get anything in, seriously. If it's just that you're having trouble finding a tune, think of it this way; I figure everyone has a favorite album and loves a certain track that has never been a single and is probably not very well known by most. It doesn't have to be a deep cut to me, just to you. A song you love that has never been given the attention you think it should have. And if it doesn't come this week, there's always The Island.

What have you done to your neck, Linda? I agree with you, this week is difficult. (And I've got trouble with my shoulder at the moment; just started physio and now it feels ten times worse!)

Hi everyone. I wrote this last week, so it is one of my favorites at the moment. I suppose all of my songs would be very deep cuts?

;)

This is a song inspired by some young writers I know who were challenging themselves to write more in November. One of them lamented the difficulties of writing with her newly busy life making things tougher. So I suggested that she write about that. She didn't, but I decided to write about my experiences in writing my own songs. I suppose the thoughts could apply to most creative endeavors, especially for those of us with day time jobs, or the equivalent.

Top Bottom