Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    Would you believe I was noodling with some Yothu Yindi earlier today but decided it was too hard. Anyway, by requesting it, you've just confirmed it's not obscure enough.
    They're probably obscure enough for people in the U.S. I know about them only by pure accident.
    Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

This band played in coffee shops in Missoula Montana between 1996 and 1999. They made a few releases during that time, 2 to be exact. One was available as a 500 copy pressing and the other as a 200 copy pressing, and then they faded into obscurity until the lead singer started a new band in Portland Oregon. Someone at “Kill Rock Stars” had some foresight because while the new band was still relatively obscure, they released a retrospective of the complete works of Tarkio. It is now available to all, and as the lead singer is now quite famous, is far less obscure than it once was.
    Sean- you had to know I would get this in there somehow.
    Tarkio- Better Half. Written by Colon Meloy

I had never heard this song until I listened to Boyd Rivers play it on an Alan Lomax film.
    Last edited by mountain goat; 11-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Sometime in 1973, while I was attending college, my brother Bernie came over with a couple of vinyl albums, both by a Bahama artist called Exuma. Bernie loved Exuma and played the albums constantly for a year.

Now, I have no idea if this is a "deep cut" or not, really. I know almost nothing about this song or the artist, whether it charted, whether the artist was popular, all a mystery to me. I did find it on YouTube, so that's something. I suspect that this will be new to most Seasonistas, but I would not be surprised if our host knows this. He knows a lot of music!

It took seven of me to do this song. It's a one-chord song, and I added a ton of cheap percussion and a synth clav.

Original

Randy - Harry122

This is a deep cut in that it is an older version of a song that many are familiar with. Another Cajun song! All in French!

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Quote Originally Posted by TCK View Post
    All right Bev- I will give you ONE Christmas song if you ALSO give us Debora. In honor of my newest snake (who looks like a Zebora)

ok, that's a christmas song you owe me!!!!!!

Default 300 :]

This song didn't get the exposure I felt it should have. It didn't keep the heart of the girl it reminds me of either. LOL

Last edited by Jazzbanjorex; 11-13-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post

ok, that's a christmas song you owe me!!!!!!
    Nooooooooooooo! Look, I love Christmas, but IT'S IN DECEMBER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleledaddy View Post
    Nooooooooooooo! Look, I love Christmas, but IT'S IN DECEMBER!!!!
    My wife had me get the Christmas stuff down tonight. Either she's going to go real slow at getting it all up or it's going up before Thanksgiving. I hope that latter so we just skip the Thanksgiving decorations. Less to deal with.

Since the early '80s, I have spent a LOT of my free time looking for the next song that will blow me away. Maybe more time than I spend playing the ukulele. I'm constantly finding songs that I think, by right, should become huge hits. But I think the only time in the past 15 to 20 years that one of them has was "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men. This is a song by the duo Frank + Derol that I thought would be a huge pop hit. Especially since one of the duo was Miley Cyrus' sister Brandi. But as far as I know, all they ever recorded was the 2012 EP that this song was on.

This makes the 231st Season that I've taken part in (77%).

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information