Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Richard Buckner's songs have affected me like no other music ever has.
Dunno what else to say.

Folks, you are really bringing me to school today and setting me up for some serious entertainment. Not sure if I'll get to much of these vids this evening. Spent all day long delousing my children and my house, and my mother in law. What a chore. I am beyond beat. Might crawl into what's left of my whiskey bottle and watch what I can then wake up all fresh and ready to give you the attention you deserve tomorrow. Thanks for being so involved this week folks.
And where is Linda Louden? I hope she's not sick again. I need her to play me a tune, if she's up for it of course.

LONG LIVE THE LOUSE REVOLUTION! I think Linda is looking for a request. And not one that is weird as what I would send her...but Sylvia Tyson would be fine. I reckon most folks could not place the name and she knows the songs. So yeah- Linda. Play us some Sylvia songs.

And where is Linda Louden? I hope she's not sick again. I need her to play me a tune, if she's up for it of course.

I am lurking a lot this week. Ive had a heck of a week so far, although Ill keep mine. Wouldnt trade it for yours for a million bucks.
I have to admit Ive struggled this week with finding something. I question everything I come across or realize Ive already done it for a previous season. I have found something that has got to be so deep Id be suprised if anyone has heard it. Now I just need the time to work it out and get it done! Still having trouble with moving my neck and that has slowed me down sugnificantly over the last several weeks.

I am lurking a lot this week. Ive had a heck of a week so far, although Ill keep mine. Wouldnt trade it for yours for a million bucks.
I have to admit Ive struggled this week with finding something. I question everything I come across or realize Ive already done it for a previous season. I have found something that has got to be so deep Id be suprised if anyone has heard it. Now I just need the time to work it out and get it done! Still having trouble with moving my neck and that has slowed me down sugnificantly over the last several weeks.

I'm sorry to hear about your neck troubles. And no worries if you can't get anything in, seriously. If it's just that you're having trouble finding a tune, think of it this way; I figure everyone has a favorite album and loves a certain track that has never been a single and is probably not very well known by most. It doesn't have to be a deep cut to me, just to you. A song you love that has never been given the attention you think it should have. And if it doesn't come this week, there's always The Island.

.......And Pa...If you could play "Buckets of Rain" off it for me, I would be much obliged......

Well Dave I have done a very hairy version of this about a year ago.
But it is probably my fav Dylan tune and the one on that Redbird album is sweet as with sublime guitar work and harmonies.
The best I could do was bring it in the same key (F if you want to play along). Oh and a little Bb harp. And a lot less hair!
I reckon Librainian would do such a killer job on this....

Last edited:
Well look what happened here. I was planning to turn in early tonight and got wrapped up in all this goodness. When I saw that TCK was bringing Chris Murray and Redbird that tipped the scale. Then Jon tried to bring me to tears with some Buckner and Pa wrapped the night up with a request. And the rest of you brought tunes which I am now officially turned on to. Here's where we've been today:

pabrizzer - Satisfied Mind - I have a couple different versions of this tune but I had no idea it had been covered by so damn many people. I urge you to check out the cover by The Mammals. It's lovely. I'm glad you got this in Brian. Completely in the spirit of this week's theme as you had never heard it before today. The exploration of music is a wonderful thing, isn't it? And this take here is just wonderful.

Rustyy - Isadora’s Dancers - Totally new to me, and I really like this. I only know one Elliot Murphy tune and that is Better Days, his cover of the Springsteen song. I think I'll have to go down this rabbit hole. Great stuff Rusty.

greenie44 - End Of The Day - Check out the special effects here! So I've never heard of The Reivers but I'm looking forward to having a listen. You've put a lot of effort into this! Hardly even sounds like a ukulele cover. Very cool.*

Recovering Bassist - Milwaukee Road - Lol, a Christmas reference. Sure, have fun at my expense. LOL. This is my kind of tune. Never heard it before, and TCK and I have done a few train shows on our silly little radio program. Might have play this sometime. I like it a lot.

One Man And His Uke - Hypnotised - You going to see Mandolin Orange? Lucky dog. This is a terrific song here. I've never heard of Aberfeldy. I'm glad you went with the stripped down slow version, because this is really good.*

frisbee fred - Bad Blood - Grubb covering Grubb! All in the family, I love it! Definitely gonna check out your cousin's site. Good tune too. Very cool.*

LimosinLil - Plastic Man - Everybody but you eh? Now, I'm a big Kinks fan, TCK will attest to this, and I have this album so I must have heard it at some point but I frankly don't recall. I am so very glad you brought a deep Kinks cut. Bless your heart.

pabrizzer - Master Of Spin - Quite a tune! I like your vocal range on this. Bit of a timely tune. Seems like everyone in power these days are their own masters of spin. Really cool stuff here Brian.

RAB11 - Tranquilize - A collar w/ Lou Reed? I gotta check that out! Nice tune. A lot going here with the lyrics. I like it. I bet this tune fits a certain mood just right.

Recovering Bassist - The Great American Cowboy - Damn, you're good on those four stings. Something to inspire to for sure. Another tune I have never heard, and I am super impressed! Great bring.

AlanDP - Adios, Mi Corazon - Juice Newton! There's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. And yet another language in the same season. Well done! New to me. Catchy tune. I have a thing for songs in Spanish. Gonna have to check out the original.

Harry122 - I’ll Give You A Ring - Juice Newton! There's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. And yet another language in the same season. Well done! New to me. Catchy tune. I have a thing for songs in Spanish. Gonna have to check out the original.

robinboyd - I Love You Will You Marry Me - A new tune. I must admit, most of the "new" songs I come across these days are really quite old. What does that say about me? lol. This is good. Got a reggae beat, I like it.*

bird’s eye view of my ukulele - Interzone - I've always had this feeling that I really need to dig into Joy Division. Now of course I must. Really cool tune. Great looking and sounding uke playing a great song. Can't ask for more than that!

uke4ia - Aza Manadino Anay - Impressive. The playing, lyrics and message. Truly a deep cut here. Wish I could play like that. Great addition to the week Jim.

TCK - One Everything - Ernie Maresca! Sing it Ollie. LOL. I'm so glad you brought Chris Murray. I remember the show you did on him. Absolute gold. I am down with it.

TCK - Ships - Punch Your Neighbor! Hi Mel. Chris Murray followed by Redbird. Damn, on a roll much? I too love this album. Been a while though, gotta give it another spin. So making my night right here mate.

mountain goat - Song Of 27 - I must admit to only owning one single song by Mr. Buckner. If this is any indication of what's in store when I start to head down that rabbit hole I could be down there for quite some time. Just as lovely as can be Jon. This performance has me truly captivated. Miles away from her. I've been there before.

pabrizzer - Buckets Of Rain - Yes! I admit that the Redbird version of this tune is my favorite, and I've heard quite a few covers. Glad TCK pulled you into this. You've got a bit of a J.J. Cale feel going on here. I like it a lot. And of course I'm a sucker for that harp.

Although Iron Maiden has a gigantic worldwide fanbase, singer Bruce Dickinson's (often VERY different) solo output is somewhat less well-known. This song is particularly obscure, as it exists only as a demo recorded in a hotel room (it was released on the bonus disc of the limited 2-disc edition of The Best Of Bruce Dickinson), and doesn't even have a proper title--it's simply listed on the disc as "Acoustic Song." I'd be surprised if more than a couple of people here have ever heard of it, but I've always found it somewhat moving in its simplicity (again, VERY unlike anything he's ever recorded with Maiden).
Also, I'm fighting a cold, so I've transposed it by playing it on the baritone, and singing down in the basement of my range...

Murry The Hump: Thrown Like A Stone.
When I first saw this season, my first thoughts were, I bet the late great John Peel played some great stuff
that would be ideal deep cuts. I checked out some of the artists on his yearly Festive 50 chart and thought this band had an interesting name, as did many of the bands who appeared on Peel’s Radio show. This is from 1999. Anyone not familiar with John Peel, he was a legendary DJ who spent many many years championing bands and music that would otherwise rarely be heard.

Great week for doing an(other) obscure song from my region. :) For this Season, I chose "Jää kauaks mu juurde" (Stay By Me For A Long Time) by Heini Vaikmaa and Helgi Muller. The song suits well to the late autumn or early winter - the first ice, the migratory birds leaving...

I couldn't help joining in all the fun you folks are having.
This is The Sam Chase & The Untraditional. I love their songs so much that I made an entire radio show around them, which you can check out here.
Aside from being a solid song writer and musician, Sam Chase seems like a decent guy as well. He recently sent me a private FB message giving me a head's up before it's announced that he'll be doing a solo show here in Portland in a few months. Pretty cool. Anyway, the music, check it out, buy it, go to a show if you're lucky enough to be in a place where he's playing.

Rock & Roll tribute band Sha Na Na gained fame when they appeared at Woodstock in 1969. Although they mostly did covers of 1950s rock & roll tunes, they occasionally recorded an original. Here's one written by Bowser himself.

Original

I'm a huge Webb Pierce fan, so here's one Webb did in the late 50's under the name "Shady Wall", which was a nickname his friends called him for years. He had done some Rockabilly-esque before this, so I'm not sure if this was released as a joke, or as attempt to kinda copy Elvis, or what. Webb Pierce had several #1 hits by the time he tried this experiment, but this one failed to even chart, and poor "Shady Wall" was never heard of publicly again. I think this captures the "deep cuts" spirit rather well.

a christmas song, no it's ok ukuleledaddy, you don't need to thank me ;)

i went looking for one i hadn't heard before, NOT that that means it's necessarily any kind of deep cut, but i'm defo hoping it might be a less well known festive offering

"come on santa" by the raveonettes

Greetings,

I love the Counting Crows, so of course I chose one of their deep cuts called "Anna Begins". The timing on their songs is a bit challenging. I hope you like it.

Ciao

I'm sure everyone has heard of this band, but I'm hoping this is a deep enough cut that no one--or few--have heard it. From the Wooden Nickel era of Styx. In the original key of Gm! Which I have always felt is the most wistful of the minor keys.

Top Bottom