Season 300 - Deep Cuts

I live in the land of Deep Cuts, but the one band that leaped to mind immediately was one from Austin Texas in the 80s called The Reivers. I was turned on to them by a review in the Chicago Reader many years ago and would go to see them live every time they came to town. (I recently became friends with the guy who wrote that review more than 25 years ago and am living in an apartment he rents - small world!)

I had already done one of my favorite songs by them a while back called Freight Train Rain. I really wanted to do that one again, but then I thought I would tackle my favorite Reivers song of all. This one is the title and closing song from their second album. Frankly, I'm not even sure what it is about, but it moves me to tears virtually every time I hear it. Something about this song.

I hope you like this version.

And the greatest love could be at the end of every day . . . .

OK - was all psyched up to have a hernia operation tomorrow but got a phone call today saying I've been bumped off the surgery list.
BUT that means I get to go to the Lighthouse Folk Festival at Norah Head on Saturday.
Mark Seymour and the Undertow are the lead act.
He was the lead singer of The Hunters and Collectors a band I've always loved.
We saw Paul Kelly there last year.
The venue is spectacular.

I'll bring this one tomorrow...

Love this one too.

Here's another Larry Lee Phillipson song. I was going to do his best known song, "Bitter feelings", which is still very obscure, but instead Sean I decided to give you a train for Christmas! Well, a train song that is. I had fun working this one up.

Aberfeldy. Released only two albums as far as I know, and I have th second album, Do Whatever Turns You On from 2006, that this is on. It’s a much more uptempo number, and I tried both a faster and slower version, but went with the stripped down slow version. Anyway, I hope this is a deep enough cut to make the, er....cut? Ps, all this talk of Mandolin Orange, I got turned on to them after hearing them on Sean and Dave’s show. Am going to see them in Sheffield in the new year. Can’t wait. I just love Andrew Marlin’s slightly world weary voice, and his beautiful, understated, unflashy mando playing.

This song is written by my talented cousin Rachel Grubb and is off her Twists and Tangles album. She is a successful singer/songwriter in Florida. Here is a link to her website that I highly recommend you check out: http://www.rachelgrubbmusic.com/

Not what I was expecting. Yes the slide guitar is BRILL - love the piano too.
The Mammals version is sublime imho. Sean put me on to it.

Have you ever wondered what happens when Jon Duncan takes a break from
YT... well I have the suspicion that he adopts the persona of Kelly Joe Phelps
and goes on tour with a National Steel Guitar (the facial expressions give it away)
Here he does Irene Goodnight as you have never heard it before.

Hi Sean! Bit of a challenge this week ... having been mainly on a diet of classical music since about 1990, I don't even know the songs that everyone else knows, let alone ones that no one else has ever heard of. However, I found this Kinks single from 1969 which didn't make the grade in the UK and wasn't released at all in the States until it appeared on an album in 1973. (It will, of course, be familiar to everyone but me!) It is accompanied by an inexplicably orange video and a woman who is losing her voice! Oh, and it is played on the newly arrived and much discussed "bouzouki-uki", tuned CFAD.

Last edited:
Master of Spin - Mark Seymour who I hope to see on Saturday.
Funny how important songs stay relevant.

It's long sorry but read along -

There came out of nowhere a God fearing man
Who dreamed of a world he was born to command
The love of the people he was yearning to win
Well he came to be known as the master of spin

He was born in a time full of darkness and fear
The thunder of cannons was distant but clear
His mother leaned down and she whispered to him
“Don’t you ever say sorry and never give in”

She teased him and pushed him and jeered from behind
So nobody noticed how quickly he climbed
Every turn that he took was a means to an end
His temper grew rigid while others did bend

Oh Lord, let the bells ring
For the hard little man who was hollow within
Power without glory is a heartbreaking thing
On the road to nowhere with the master of spin

Well the people believed in the stories he told
Of glory and conquest and hunger for gold
He built an army and vowed it would win
And they marched into history with the master of spin

Well they struggled bravely through rivers of blood
The corpses grew higher, and the fire and the flood
Oh how they suffered for following him
But they worshipped the man called the master of spin

Still it didn’t take much to bring him undone
A small indiscretion, the slip of the tongue
The fool and the mistress and the monster within
They all blew the whistle on the master of spin

They say in this life there is one lesson to learn
The strong will survive and the weakest will burn
Perhaps she was wrong when she whispered to him
“Don’t you ever say sorry and never give in”

El Dorado still waits to be found
And the glorious armies are long in the ground
And a terrible darkness still lies deep within
The heart of a man called the master of spin

In 2007 (I think) the Killers released an album of B-Sides and hitherto unreleased stuff called Sawdust. It's got some of my favourite songs of theirs on it because it shows a weirder and at times darker side to their song writing. It's also got a killer (sorry) cover of Joy Division's Shadowplay that they did for an Ian Curtis documentary.

They kick things off with a collab involving Lou Reed though.

For sure!I know of her but not super familiar. This is great.

She's married to Bela Fleck and they have an adorable child. They perform together a lot and are such a talented, goofy couple. She plays clawhammer style, and he plays Bela style. Just love them.

Here's another Penny DeHaven song, one that infused classical music licks into a country song. It's quite an elaborate arrangement and production they did on this one, and it was released as a single in 1976, but it barely made a blip on the charts, peaking at #83. A shame. I tried this one as a challenge to see if I could play it, and I couldn't get a clean take on it, but it would be real hard, and probably above my skill level, to get a perfect take on this one. I tried though. lol

This is an "old" (as in from the 80s) country song recorded by Juice Newton, written for her by her long-time songwriting partner Otha Young. I'm pretty sure this was never released as a single and I don't think it was ever covered by anyone else. I've always liked it. But then, I liked everything she did.

Also, I did it in B flat without a capo!

I live in the land of Deep Cuts, but the one band that leaped to mind immediately was one from Austin Texas in the 80s called The Reivers. I was turned on to them by a review in the Chicago Reader many years ago and would go to see them live every time they came to town. (I recently became friends with the guy who wrote that review more than 25 years ago and am living in an apartment he rents - small world!)

I had already done one of my favorite songs by them a while back called Freight Train Rain. I really wanted to do that one again, but then I thought I would tackle my favorite Reivers song of all. This one is the title and closing song from their second album. Frankly, I'm not even sure what it is about, but it moves me to tears virtually every time I hear it. Something about this song.

I hope you like this version.

And the greatest love could be at the end of every day . . . .

Hey, I'm somewhat familiar with them. I remember their early stuff on the radio when they were still called Zeitgeist. They had to change their name because there was already a band by that name.

Here's a deep cut from Paul McCartney. This was the b-side to 1982's "Take It Away." This is very much a McCartney "silly love song." I used multiple-tracked a second voice and uke, and also added a tiny bit of synth chimes.

Original

Last edited:
I'm not sure how deep this one is, but it is so recent that I'm pretty sure not many of you will have heard it. I was going to do another song, but I heard this one on the radio the other day with an interview given by the artist. I found the story incredibly compelling, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. You can find the interview here. He starts telling the story about half way through.

Last edited:
my original intention was to give you my blessing on the Christmas song
AH

and DUH

and NEVER MIND - i'll bring one too!!!!!!! :cool:

and THANK YOU! :rock:

accompanied by an inexplicably orange video and a woman who is losing her voice!
AND the most awesome-looking and sounding bazouki-bari-uke ever seen or heard! :rock:

ok, now it's all ready to post, i'm not sure this is as deep of a cut as i originally thought when i found this song yesteday :mad: but hey let's see!

"interzone" ("warsaw" album version) by joy division

In 1991, guitarists Henry Kaiser and David Lindley brought a digital recorder to Madagascar and spent two weeks recording as many local musicians as they could. The music was released on the "A World Out of Time" CDs. As a result of the exposure, several of the musicians got CDs released in the U.S., largely on the Shanachie label. Some of them toured here. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull became a big supporter of Malagasy music.

I got really hooked on the music, and ended up with over 25 CDs of Madagascar music. Then after about 10 years, it stopped getting released in the U.S., and I've rarely found an album since. I've managed to find a few sets of lyrics on-line by Dama Mahaleo, the most renowned musician in the country. I was going to play this one for New Orleans week, but it turned out the CD it was on (Dama & D'Gary, "The Long Way Home") was recorded in Lafayette, Louisiana, and not New Orleans. Anyway, I'm really excited to celebrate Season 300 by finally playing a Malagasy song. It took me 4 minutes to play a 3 minute song because I was trying to not mess up the lyrics too bad. The song title translates to "Don't Forget", and reminds politicians that they're there to help the people, not the other way around. A universal message.

Folks, you are really bringing me to school today and setting me up for some serious entertainment. Not sure if I'll get to much of these vids this evening. Spent all day long delousing my children and my house, and my mother in law. What a chore. I am beyond beat. Might crawl into what's left of my whiskey bottle and watch what I can then wake up all fresh and ready to give you the attention you deserve tomorrow. Thanks for being so involved this week folks.
And where is Linda Louden? I hope she's not sick again. I need her to play me a tune, if she's up for it of course.

OK- This is a $4 song for several reasons. First. Remember the first time I sent you Chris Murray? I mean, I really should play the Brothers Comatose (and likely will), but if there is an artist that needs to be heard...
And then Randy KILLED Dinosaurs your last season, and was introduced to his stuff (and he KILLED IT...did I say that already?)...
And I conjured Ernie Maresca. No one else is going to conjure Ernie Maresca.
And Ollie gave us a singalong.
In any event, not Only is Chris Murray a hard-working artist and musician, but he is the coolest guy ever. I am probably his biggest fan, and yet, when I play one of his songs, he posts it to his facebook page and sends me notes thanking me for the dodgy work-over his songs are getting on the ukulele. Guy is SOLID, and an inspiration to me constantly.
Anyway- buy his music.

When I bought this record, it was because I had heard the best version of "Moonshiner" I could imagine, and I just clicked "buy" (as one does). What I discovered was one of the finest records I have ever bought. I played it for Mel and she adored it to, which is weird because if she really loves something, I only love it if I need a good bubble bath. We have played it for friends and right to constant rotation it goes.
It took 10 years for the story about the record that had no band name, and only the title "Redbird". But I waited and now I have it.
It was made by Jeffrey Foucault, Kris Delmhorst and Peter Mulvey, who are all apparently songwriters. I would not know any of them if they were sitting in my lap, but boy are they good. My impression is they all locked themselves in a room and made songs. I don't know if I have said this yet...but the result is amazing. I have spent more money on music this year than I have on my dogs...and this is still the standout. I simply cannot find better. Even Lost Dog. Not as good.
So go buy it. It is here. Do yourself that favor.
And Pa...If you could play "Buckets of Rain" off it for me, I would be much obliged. In Fact, you and Jeffrey Foucault are about to be fast friends if you take the bait. That and The Whole World Round makes me think of you immediately as well. Just buy this- if you don't love it I will send you the money spent mate.
OK- Enough.
The Song.
Ships

Last edited:
Top Bottom