Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Not sure how deep of a cut this is, but it's an album cut off The Cars iconic debut album in 1978, and my favorite song on the album, along with "My best friends girl". I wore this one out back in the day, I think the lyrics are hilarious. "Get the wisenheimer brainstorm" lol This was not easy to pull off on ukulele, for me at least.

This in an older song by Gordon Bok, a folk singer from Maine. I don't know if you've heard of him before, so I figured that this might fit this week's theme. Here is an upbeat sea song called The Hills of Isle Au Haut as my contribution for this week. Hope you enjoy.
    http://www.timberheadmusic.com/catal...t=Gordon%20Bok

Last edited by JodeTheToad; Today at 01:35 PM. Reason: improper punctuation
    My book website: www.jodilauborn.webs.com

Still back in the 70s, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils had a hit with Jackie Blue. This song was also on the It'll Shine When It Shines album

Russell
    from Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia

George Jones from the late 70's is another kick I've been on lately. This was Jones at the height of his drug and alcohol addictions, and beset with personal and professionals problems galore, but he was still able to sing good to even great, though he looked rough. He still possessed that amazing unique voice nobody has ever had before or since. When he showed up that is. This is an album cut from the era when he earned the "No show Jones" nickname. I put this one together pretty quick, just a couple of takes.

Okay, here's a Christmas song that might also be a deep cut. I didn't have this song saved on my mp3 drive so I don't know where I heard it, but I had the title written in a file I have of potential Christmas songs to learn. Here's what I got from wikipedia:

They are a three-member indie band from Los Angeles who have released three albums (in 2008, 2011, and 2014). Justin Kennedy - Lead vocals, Guitar, Louie Schultz - Lead guitar, Vocals, and Douglas Randall - Drums, Vocals. This song also featured a guest named Charlotte Froom. They made an animated video for this which is pretty cool and it's on both youtube and vimeo. This song was not an album track. I guess it was just a special single Christmas release. They're also on soundcloud. They made this song available for a free download there.

This is a duet with their lead singer and Froom. The lines alternate between male/female and then the chorus bits are two-part harmony. You'll just have to imagine that the echo-y ukulele bits are Christmas bells.

Last edited by AlanDP; Today at 02:50 PM.
    Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

I can’t believe all of you getting such an early start on Christmas. There’s still a week left in Decorative Fourd Season!

My parents had this 45 when I was a kid. Once I could drive I used to head out to PI to run. Less traffic and fewer people... I remember it as more of a shanty, but I couldn’t figure it out so I made it a blues. And more of a spoken one at that. Anyway, here’s Richard “Stonefingers” Johnson’s “Plum Island National Anthem”.

For the curious, a green head is a type of biting fly that bites a chunk out of you and then laps the blood. They hurt like crazy.

For the more curious, here is a link to Johnson’s bio page, and one to an article he wrote a few years back describing the inspiration/history of the song.

http://stonefingers.net/resume--biography.html
    http://http://www.newsandtribune.com/opinion/columns/johnson-an-independent-nation/article_a30dc4e1-6fce-535f-ac66-e8749d92de7b.html
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

And #2. Not really a deep cut probably (Benji at least will know it). It was a B-side to a hit single from Pinkerton, and it showed up on the soundtrack to a movie Iíve never even heard of called ďAngusĒ. It was released on the reissue of Pinkerton a few years ago, among a lot of other demos and outtakes. Seemed appropriate though, as Weezer just released another album.

Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Everyone has that Lou Giordano 45 where Buddy Holly is playing guitar and the drums are a cardboard box right (OK Rustty,,,I reckon you do). Anyhow, this was released on cassette a while back and there is such a small amount of Buddy stuff out there (at least compared to what we could have had) I reckon there are some Buddy Holly nuts out there who have heard this, but I wanted to play it anyway...and when the urge strike, well, we play.
    Sorry it sounds like I am playing in an outhouse.

I am so glad I was able to get a song in. I was in Cali earlier in the week and just saw the theme today. This is a song off of the greatest album you have never heard. You may have heard this song before as it was the hit from the record, but it's one of those albums that is great from the first track to the last. You may know Jon Astley from his big 80's hit called 'Jane's Getting Serious' which was his first record. This song is off of the second album called 'The Perfect Angler' and I have no idea why it didn't do better when it was released. Please don't think that I am Rick rolling you, this is a totally different Astley. I went really minimal with my version as well as the video.
    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and enjoy my videos Here

I have a lot of songs to catch up on! I’m gonna have to do that tomorrow. Ten hour drive today with the kids and I’m spent. Looking forward to a big finish tomorrow, and playing some Western swing for TCK!

Thread Information