Season 300 - Deep Cuts

ukuleledaddy

Reaction score

Ok, here we go. SEASON 300! Can you believe it?

This week's theme is Deep Cuts. I want you to imagine you are putting together a mix tape or a radio show filled with great songs which you love and you're sure the people you're playing these songs for have never heard them. Play those songs for season 300. There's so much great music out there and it is a crime that they are buried. Unearth these treasures and send us down a rabbit hole. Want to play a Rolling Stones or Neil Diamond song? Great! Just make sure it's a deep cut. Want to play a song by a struggling unsigned band you stumbled upon on YouTube? Fantastic! I love discovering new artists.

For the songwriters make a new vid of your favorite song and/or write a song about how mainstream radio sucks.

There is no song limit. Multi-tracking, multiple instruments, etc. are fine so long as the ukulele is front and center and we can see you playing it.

I won't be sending out any prizes, but I like the idea of making a donation. So, in honor of my beloved dog Denali who we recently had to put down, myself and Ukulelemommy will donate $1 for every vid you bring to an animal shelter in Sonoma County, which as we all know was hit by the worst wildfire in CA history. If you turn me onto an artist or band I've never heard, that vid will be worth $2.

As a little bonus, I will be listening to the original recordings of the songs you bring and I thought it would be fun to do a radio show with my faves. As a lot of you know, TCK and I do a little radio show, The Songs Stuck In My Head. I'll let you all know when I get that show up.

One more note, I will be going out of town towards the end of the week so I may not be able to keep up on your vids at that time. I'll do my best.

PLAYLIST

Don't start until after midnight Hawaiian time tonight and the Season will end 8 days later on Sunday at midnight Hawaiian time.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Oh man, Sean. What a great theme! Like the idea inspiring the late, great Tom Petty's Buried Treasure show.

And I love the cause!

Aha! Thank you. My second song that I had in mind for last season would be perfect for this season. Now I don't have to stress about getting it done in time! Great location by the way. I hope you enjoyed the wine tasting.

Oh man, Sean. What a great theme! Like the idea inspiring the late, great Tom Petty's Buried Treasure show.

And I love the cause!

That's pretty much exactly the idea. In fact I almost called this season Buried Treasure. Have fun!

I've been trawling the net for obscure music (really just procrastinating), and I just wanted to share something I found with you. I love it, but there's no way I'm going to try to play it.

I've been trawling the net for obscure music (really just procrastinating), and I just wanted to share something I found with you. I love it, but there's no way I'm going to try to play it.

Cool tune! I've never heard it before. Has a sort of Fever vibe to it. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent! It's like the two-song limit for Fred's season has been lifted!

Excellent! It's like the two-song limit for Fred's season has been lifted!

Yeah, I was a little worried when Fred announced his week, thinking his and mine would be too similar. And there are definitely similarities, the big difference here is that you guys get to choose whatever obscure song you want to put out there. Could be anything from any genre and any time period. I'm really looking forward seeing what comes up.

Well the hell with it. I don’t really care what time it is in Hawaii because Sean said animals and money and fire and so I play a song and if it is early, I apologize (I really do not care...our animals need
money and Fred will forgive me).
This is a song by Daze N’ Days. They are a band of marginally homeless kids who put all their stuff together totally DIY, and their negativity makes complete sense to me. Melissa can’t see it, so she is off camera singing along because she knows the lyrics and is as expected a bit pained by how I connect with them. We come from two very different places and she often does not immediately get my negativity.
In any event...Misanthropic Drunken Loser by Daze and days. Here I lay myself bare- completely. iu

Last edited:
Oh I see TCK has broken out of the starting gates.
I have always loved an Aussie group called Chain.
They were formed in 1968 and Matt Taylor has been the main driving force / song writer I believe.
I think they are still about in some form or another and have formed and reformed many times over the years.
Think their biggest hit was Black and Blue which was also covered by the Manfred Mann Earth Band.
Another song they did I remember with great fondness is I Remember When I was Young.
This one I have never heard before today but hey it's basically just one chord so easy, right?
It's called Slow in D
It's a GarageBand recording with two bari uke tracks, one harmonica (G) track, and one vocal track. And yes ALL first and only one take.
No video so I gave you some trains to look at.

Oh and headphones (loud) are best or worst depending on which way it grabs you I suppose.

Last edited:
If we're starting early I'm gonna recycle one I did last week for Fred's season before realising there's a two-song limit. But it's an album track from an indie band who haven't been around long so I think it fits. I did put it on the Island but it didn't get much views there so third time lucky.

This is by Drenge and it's off their second album Undertow which is a modern masterpiece imo.

This is by a band/artist called Findlay. It's one of those ones where I think the name just refers to the front person but could equally mean the band. She/they broke through in 2012 or so with a single called Your Sister, quickly followed up with this one but never really troubled the charts. Five years on I think she's only just releasing her debut album. But she plays all the small kind of venues I love and is normally found early on the bill on a smaller stage at the big festivals. I went to Reading Festival in 2013 and I think hers was the first set I watched, brilliant performer.

Anyway if you're checking out the originals alongside the seasons vids you're in for a treat with this one Sean.

Just a rough and ready take on this so I can get to my mum's for breakfast and rugby.

Congrats on Season 300 and THANK YOU to everyone who helped get this thing going and has kept it rolling for so long. I've really enjoyed being able to play for you all and listen to all of your music, picking up new techniques and learning about new tunes along the way. It has been like a dream come true. So on that note ...

We Can Make Our Dreams Come True - Jeremy Messersmith

This is from Messersmith's project 11 Obscenely Optimistic Songs For Ukulele. Released earlier this year, it's what he called a "micro folk record" of just him and his soprano ukulele accompanied with a music video for each song. Here's a link to his YouTube playlist for the project. The best part is you can also get a free songbook that includes all 11 tracks just by providing your email address on his site.

Top Bottom