Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Thomas Haynes Bayly (1797 – 1839) was an English poet, songwriter & dramatist. He made half hearted attempts to enter the law and church. Eventually , he married a wealthy wife and gave up both but after a time financial difficulties meant he needed to earn a living which he did from writing songs and for the theatre. He had a successful career as a writer but his last years were dogged by ill-health which caused further financial difficulties.

After his death, a Philadelphia publisher published several of his songs in the USA and Long, Long Ago proved particularly popular. In 1942 an upbeat version with different lyrics was recorded by Glenn Miller as “Don't Wait Under the Apple Tree”. In the late 1950s & early 1960s it was revived with recordings by Patti Page, Marty Robbins & Jo Stafford/Gordon Macrae. Dean Martin & Nat King Cole recorded an upbeat version with different lyrics but retaining the “long, long ago” refrain.

Last edited:
Season 300. Submission 2. "I'm Only Sleeping" (Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and recorded by the Beatles, 1966)

Ok - how's this for a deep cut, Sean? This song was originally recorded for the Revolver album. But Capitol records cut it from the American version of the album and instead put it on the Yesterday and Today album, which was released 3 months earlier. But in the reissues of these albums, which began in 1987, the song got put back on Revolver.

So this was one of two songs actually cut from Revolver here in the States back in 1966. Which I think makes it a deep cut of sorts, though it is a Beatles song. Hope this is ok!

I've done this one in public a few times, and every time someone has a reaction like, "Hank Williams? I've never heard that song before!" So maybe it will pass as a deep cut.

I've been on a Jim and Jesse kick lately, so wanted to do one of theirs this week, and chose this one cause I like it a lot. This song was in their repertoire in the 60's, but fell out at some point, and doesn't seem well known now.

I also wanted to do a Jim Lauderdale tune this week, so here's one. He has literally 100's of songs on his multitude of albums, covering several musical genres, that could be considered "deep cuts", and a lot of them are great songs, but I am a big fan, so I'm biased. This one is off a country CD he did just a few years ago. This was my 2nd take on this, so I put it together quick.

ok, that's a christmas song you owe me!!!!!! :rock:
That is so AWESOME!!!! Somewhere in Cloverdale there is a tiny little snake slithering in bliss! I wish I could make a video of the fourth graders doing it...they like to belt it out for her ;)
SO, my original intention was to give you my blessing on the Christmas song, but sure- I will play one.
Again- I get to play the Decemberists, and really the great joy here is that Sean, who will be an unbearable Elf in 2 weeks, is having fits over Christmas songs. I have never laughed so hard in my LIFE.
Anyway- The Decemberists are in no way obscure I do not think, but they have only made one Christmas song and it was not released with any of their normal output. It is on a compilation record that I think four people own...so away we go.
Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas

Here I am with my first of three (!) entries for this week. This is an original song about Emma Snodgrass, who was arrested twice (!!) in the 1850s for wearing pants in Boston.

great joy here is that Sean, who will be an unbearable Elf in 2 weeks, is having fits over Christmas songs. I have never laughed so hard in my LIFE.

Yes, in two weeks. Because CHRISTMAS IS IN DECEMBER!!!!! And when December comes I will be the jolliest *&$#%@* elf because I love Christmas. Which IS IN DECEMBER!

Last edited:
Simmer down my elfen friend ������
Here have a song penned by one Jon Duncan wayyy back in 1998, when he was a guitar player. He sent me his CD’s which are fantastic shorty after we started swapping songs (long before the seasons), and I immediately found this gem. I play it all the time because I think it is a great song and I often play in Santa Rosa, where we have no elves but do have Peanuts. In fact, it is a cult here. Horizontal stripes are all the rage, everyone wants to be the kicker on the football team, the birds are all yellow and mostly
indiscernible, and the doctor is always in.
And then there is me, my constant cloud of dust, and my ukulele.
Anyway, a Punch your Neighbor favorite, presented for your viewing pleasure.

This just in! Jon-o shared the original. It can be found here, and is way better. WAY BETTER.

Last edited:
See this is the thing about the seasons. Had never heard of Mandolin Orange before last week or My Bubba before this week. And now I've just found this beautiful video of them performing together...

See this is the thing about the seasons. Had never heard of Mandolin Orange before last week or My Bubba before this week. And now I've just found this beautiful video of them performing together...

That is lovely. I've enjoyed Mandolin Orange for a while but I've never heard of My Bubba. I'm gonna go down that rabbit hole. Thanks for sharing Brian.

Alright folks, I am off to bed a bit early tonight because my kids have lice and I have to bring them in for treatment early tomorrow before they go to school. Never a dull moment around here! And there has been another slew of outstanding vids from you folks. Going down all these rabbit holes is going to keep me busy for quite a while.
And you'll have to forgive my less than gentlemanly rant about Christmas. All in good fun. Although it does make my head explode when the Christmas things start to come out in November. Ok, I'm done.
Thank you for all that has come this week, and here's the latest:

YorkSteve - Restless Legs - I can relate to this song, lol. Never thought to write a song about. This is a catchy one too. I certainly have never heard it before. I love when I find a really good, obscure band and every now and then you turn somebody onto them and they get just as you do. Good stuff here.

RAB11 - Two Against One - Poor Nathan. Hope he feels better soon. I like Jack White a lot. Don't think I've ever heard this one before. Looking forward to hearing the original as I like this version here. Nice solo bit there. I've been working my way up to that for about seven years. I'll get there someday, lol. Great stuff.

pabrizzer - There Is A Time - From The Andy Griffith Show! That's getting obscure. Yeah, I used to watch that show a bit, don't remember ever hearing this tune though. I really like it. Nice harp bit there. Really good bring for the week.

YorkSteve - The Right Track - I absolutely love this song! And yeah, I probably never would have heard it if it weren't for TCK. Pretty sure I played this on one of the radio shows I did. If not, TCK certainly has. I believe Hopeton Lewis also performed on that track. Nice, mellow take on this. I really enjoyed it. Such a great tune. Thanks!

xommen - Kiss The World Beautiful - Lovely tune. Never heard it before. Bit tragic yet optimistic at the same time. Very nice. I like the progression a lot. Looking forward to hearing the original.

xommen - Have An Angel Walk With Her - Cool tune. I like the echo you used for this. The more I listen the more I really like this song. Great addition to the week.

Tootler - Long, Long Ago - I love the history lesson in the notes. I love Don't Wait Under The Apple Tree and had no idea of it's roots. I have never heard of*Thomas Haynes Bayly. I knew you would have no trouble coming up with something off most folks' radar. This is a gem.

turtledrum - I’m Only Sleeping - I'm pretty sure that by the time I bought a copy of Revolver this was on it. I only really got into The Beatles around 1988 after I started working as a DJ at an ice rink. A friend of mine there opened my eyes to The Beatles. This has since become one of my favorite songs of theirs. But, yeah, a deep cut for sure, and very welcome for this week. I love your take on this. Much more dreamy than the original. Very nice.

BigDaddyUker - Absolutely Right - Well you got me. I've never heard this tune in my life. And really it's not about stumping me but more about you folks playing your favorite hidden gems. Whether or not I know the tune is irrelevant. This is quite a catchy tune. I'm looking forward to hearing the original.

AlanDP - Singing Waterfall - Hank Williams? I've never heard that song before! No really, I haven't. No doubt TCK knows this tune. He does a Hank show every year. Certainly sounds like Hank. I really like it a lot.

Recovering Bassist - Then I’ll Stop Going For You - Gotta get me a banjo uke. I really like this. New to me. Real folky stuff. Very nice!

Recovering Bassist - The Weakness Of Two Hearts - Only your second take? Damn. Another one new to me. I have to learn how to do that walk up/walk down thing someday. Good stuff.

TCK - Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas - Hahaha. Yes, this is driving me crazy. Great tune, but it's not December yet. I give Eileen a hard time about that stuff too. She wants to hang up the tinsel in November. lol. I'm sure I must have heard this song from you at some point. But maybe not. GREAT tune. Sad though. So glad I'm not that dad, though you should have seen me last Christmas with the in laws here!

Demimondaine - She’s Dandy - Haha, I love this. Being arrested for wearing pants. Unbelievable this is a part of history. People are nuts. Really creative tune. Thanks for this.

TCK - Comic Book Writer - Yay! And it's not a Christmas song. I don't think I've ever heard this, though it's connected to two of my faves. Great addition you two. And thanks to Jon for writing it. And I'm so glad the ice rink there in Santa Rosa survived. My step mom had her first job there as a kid.

See here's the thing - I've never heard Satisfied Mind before today but wiki tells me its far from obscure with MANY covers
"A Satisfied Mind" is a song written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes.
Notable Covers
Porter Wagoner charted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs list in 1955.[3]
Red and Betty Foley[4] charted at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs list in 1955.
Jean Shepard charted at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs list in 1955.[5]
Ella Fitzgerald on 1955 album The First Lady Of Song (Decca) The most impressive version in the pop market, the single reached #25 on the "Music Vendor" Top 100, with 15 weeks in the chart.
Cowboy Copas on his 1962 album Opry Star Spotlight (Starday)
Joan Baez on her 1965 album Farewell, Angelina; later appeared on her 1979 compilation Satisfied Mind.[6]
The Byrds on their 1965 album Turn! Turn! Turn!.[7]
Glen Campbell B-side of a 1966 single (A-side: "Can't You See I'm Trying"), added to the 1971 Pickwick re-release of his 1962 album Big Bluegrass Special: A Satisfied Mind
Ian and Sylvia on their 1966 album Play One More (Vanguard)
Bobby Hebb's 1966 revival peaked at #39 on the Billboard Hot 100, in November 1966
Bob Dylan and The Band, recorded in 1967, released in 2014 on The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete.
Bob Dylan on his 1980 album Saved
The International Submarine Band on their 1968 album Safe at Home.[8]
Goose Creek Symphony on their 1970 album Established 1970
Tim Hardin on his 1971 album Bird on a Wire
Sonny James on his 1973 album If She Helps Me Get Over You
Roy Drusky on 1973 single. It peaked at #25 on US country and 38 on Canada country, making it his last top forty on the charts.
Faron Young recorded it as the title track to his 1973 album, Satisfied Mind. Red Hayes toured with Faron Young and Vassar Clements on their 1973 UK Tour, and died on stage on March 2, 1973, in Manchester UK.
John Martyn on his 1975 album Sunday's Child
Bryan Bowers on his 1977 album The View From Home
David Allan Coe on his 1977 album Texas Moon
Lucinda Williams on her 1978 album Ramblin'
Lindsey Buckingham on his 1981 album Law and Order
Jonathan Richman on his 1990 album Jonathan Goes Country
The Walkabouts on their 1993 album Satisfied Mind
Danny Gatton on his 1993 album Cruisin' Deuces
Jeff Buckley on his 1998 posthumous album Sketches (for My Sweetheart the Drunk) The recording was made for a 1992 Radio Session, and had been played at Jeff Buckley's funeral in 1997, which Buckley's mother Mary Guibert mentions as the reason it was included on the collection.
Eric Bibb on his 1999 album Spirit & The Blues
Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives on their 2003 album Country Music
Blind Boys Of Alabama on the 2004 album There Will Be a Light along with Ben Harper
Johnny Cash at first being exclusive on Kill Bill Vol 2 soundtrack (2004) until his posthumously released album American VI: Ain't No Grave (2010)
Daniel O'Donnell on his 2009 album, Peace in the Valley
Justin Vernon from Bon Iver on his collaboration with the Eau Claire Memorial Jazz I ensemble on the 2009 live benefit album A Decade With Duke
Rosanne Cash, featuring Neko Case, a bonus track on the iTunes version of her 2009 album, The List
Willie Nelson on his 2010 album Country Music
Donna Loren on her 2010 album Love It Away
My Bubba on their 2011 album How it's Done in Italy
Robert Plant and the Band of Joy in the 2012 Live From The Artists Den
Kelly Keeling on his CD Knollwood Drive
Lee Ann Womack on her 2014 album The Way I'm Livin'
Anna Elizabeth Laube on her 2015 album Anna Laube

Surely one of these is a Deep Cut eg Johnny Cash's version wasn't on a Johnny Cash CD til he'd passed. And I've never heard of some of them folk....
Anyhoodies (yep it's a great word) - it's a song I just had to give a went.
Has anyone heard The International Submarine Band version?

I saw Abigail Washburn live at Blue Mountains Folk Festival. She is BRILL.

Last edited:
Back in the 1970s I was a voracious reader of Rolling Stone, and especially their album reviews. Anything that sounded like it might be to my taste I made a note of, and tried to follow up at some stage. About this time we gained an import record shop in Geelong, and they, as the name suggests, imported their LPs directly from the States, and so we didn't have to wait for local pressings, or even wonder if they would be supplied locally.
Even the staff were a bit baffled by some of the names, I recall Steely Dan being filed under D rather than S.
So a couple of albums I purchased from this shop were proabably quite rare in Australia. One was by a group called Blue Jug. I think the reviewer was of the opinion they could be the next "The Band". They didn't quite measure up but I really enjoyed the album, and have recently become reacquainted with them thru Youtube.
Another album was by Elliot Murphy, called Night Lights. It does get a mention in Wikipedia, but in a Discography of Elliott Murphy it is completely ignored. Anyhooodies (I like that expression too), I thought it had a few really good tracks on it, and here is my version of Isadora's Dancers from that album

Here you go Pa- excellent steel guitar I believe from one of my heroes, Jay Dee Maness. Would have to ask my dad to be sure
Great tune- this is where I know it from

Top Bottom