Season 300 - Deep Cuts

I've assumed that if we think the artist is sufficiently obscure, then it can be their most famous hit (within the circles aware of them) rather than an obscure hit from an obscure artist. But I'm gambling that they ARE obscure and it's not just me.... :confused:

Anywhoodles

Yes, it can be an obscure artists' most famous hit as long as the hit is not technically a hit, if that makes sense. And it doesn't even have to be an obscure artist at all! I'm just looking for those deep cuts, obscure songs, no matter where they come from.

And anywhoodles is my new favorite word.

When I was living in Sydney I wasn't too far away from Manly. Their rugby team uses Eagle Rock as their theme song. Only reason I'd have heard it.

I think there's plenty of cracking Aussie acts that'll be completely obscure to most people in the northern hemisphere, more's the pity.

Exactly what i was thinking.
BTW Manly are considered the silvertails of rugby league - buying the best players in the past before the salary caps came in.
Most rugby league supporters go for TWO teams each week - their own and the one that is playing Manly.
Rugby league world cup going on down here as I type. Fiji and Tonga going well. Tonga beat NZ for the first time ever. US has a team not doing so well. England Ireland Italy Lebanon PNG Scotland Wales. Hoping the Aussies will prevail. I think we play Samoa in Darwin on Friday.

I'm getting a soft dig from a fellow Aussie claiming that Daddy Cool will not be obscure.
I am wondering how many of you non Aussies have heard of them or the Come Back Again song above .....

I've never heard of Daddy Cool. Keep that stuff coming!

Little Movies - Aaron Lee Tasjan

This was the lead single off his 2016 album Silver Tears, so I suppose it may not qualify as a deep cut per se, but it is a hidden gem.

Memphis Town - The Okee Dokee Brothers

I guess it's kinda tough to call something off a Grammy winning album a deep cut (this won the award for Best Children's Album in 2013). Being categorized as kids music, however, I'm guessing a lot of people haven't heard of these guys but they make great tunes.

Jackson Square - Mason Jennings

The first time I heard this song, the unique rhyming structure and delivery really hooked me in. It wasn't until I'd heard it a few times before I realized how dark it was. Just a heads up, this is a song about suicide. Kinda a morbid thing to sing about, I know, but I think it's a really great song.

I'm getting a soft dig from a fellow Aussie claiming that Daddy Cool will not be obscure.
I am wondering how many of you non Aussies have heard of them or the Come Back Again song above .....

I was the one doing the soft digging. I'm more than happy for people to do anything that they feel is obscure enough. Just teasing. Sorry if it was taken seriously.

I was the one doing the soft digging. I'm more than happy for people to do anything that they feel is obscure enough. Just teasing. Sorry if it was taken seriously.

Not taken seriously at all. I reckon it's important to try and bring what the host wants.
We are in a very tiny bubble at the bottom of the world down here in Oz. Huge hits here often don't even make the radar up north.
Of course the most popular South American or many European artists would probably be unknown to me too.
The seasons have been great at widening my musical horizons.

I played "Sexy & 17" by The Stray Cats on you buddy TCK's school Season a few weeks ago, and this song was the flip side of that record. Bought this 45 when it came out, and loved both sides instantly back then, still love these songs. Plus with the talk of beer around here recently, I thought it sorta fit. It's possible you've heard this one, but I don't think this tune is that well known, and it's well crafted, no beer pun intended. lol I sang this in Brian Setzer's key, and took the sopranino challenge on it, because I also played Sexy & 17 on the sopranino.

Well you folks sure are taking me to school on the first day of 300! I love it. So many songs and bands I've never heard of. I almost didn't do this theme but so glad I did. Also, I finally got the playlist up. Here's what you folks have brought so far....

TCK - Misanthropic Drunken Loner - A cocktail and Days N Daze. Excellent combo mate. I love this tune, and that's all thanks to you. And that's really what this week is all about. Find an amazing song and turn me onto it. Can't tell you how many songs and artists you've turned me onto. I remember one of the first time I tuned into the show and thinking "who the hell are Carlton & The Shoes?" And on it goes. Thanks for this and all of that.

pabrizzer - Slow In D - I'm officially asking for a harmonica for Christmas. This is as solid as can be Brian. And musically right up my alley. And trains. Can't wait to hear the original. It will no doubt send me down quite a rabbit hole.

RAB11 - Standing In The Cold - Bonus balloon! Lol. Cool tune. Got a bit of a grunge feeling. Love the solo bit in the middle. Well done!

RAB11 - Off And On - I really like this. The minimal strums leading into a faster pace really works for me. Yeah, this is the stuff. I can imagine this artist puts on a good show. Thanks for this!

wee_ginga_yin - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever - I do enjoy Sufjan Stevens. Not very familiar with this tune. Spacey! And the good kind, not the Kevin kind. This is very cool. I love the little bits that sound like satellite bleeps. Nice.

xommen - Lady With The Spinning Head - Now I'm a big U2 fan. Love them. I have been down that rabbit hole BUT I've never heard this song. I like it a lot. Great lyrics. And the vid here reminds me of my early 80's Jr High days. Can't wait to hear the original recording.

Tomcat Wombat - We Can Make Our Dreams Come True - What a great song! It is Obscenely Optimistic. Double rainbows and all. Love it. I'm always amazed, and a little jealous, of that high, beautiful voice you've got. Perfect this tune.

Recovering Bassist - Put The Bone In - Ten year old me is giggling too. What a totally different tune than Seasons In The Sun. And the dog being hit by a car. s**. Well I've never heard this before and I think you for bringing it. Love those little fills you're doing on this one. I'm gonna have to watch this a few times and learn some of your tricks. I'll give you all the credit of course.

Recovering Bassist - Baby Sisters Christmas - Definitely a $2 song! My wife is laughing because she knows I love Christmas but I am very strict about Christmas season starting AFTER Thanksgiving. lol. Never heard this one. Good tune, and there are your little fills in there again. Love that.

Harry122 - Cliff Edwards, I do declare! Certainly a tune I have never heard. I love that he did these risqué uke tunes! Nice addition with the piano here too. Really great entry here.

Recovering Bassist - Mama Lou - Never heard of Penny DeHaven. Possible rabbit hole here! And a bonus that she shares a first name with my youngest. I just love these fills you're throwing around. Great little tune too. And I can see you'll be keeping me pretty busy this week. YAY!

WS64 - Time Bomb - Sounds great! This is a new to me band. Interesting airy quality to this recording. Very dreamy. It works so well here

bird's eye view of my ukulele - The Third Degree - This is totally new to me. I was hoping you'd do some obscure Bolan tunes. A hidden gem here for sure! Love the sound of that uke too!

Jazzbanjorex - It Ain't My Fault - You might be surprised, but I love New Orleans jazz as well. My grandfather was a huge fan. He used to take us to Stanford every 4th of July to listen to The Preservation Hall Jazz Band. This is super catchy. I want to learn this one. Great addition to the week Rex. And a new to me tune!

BigDaddyUker - Christmas In Hollis - YES!!! Lol. I used to be a dj at and Ice Capades Chalet when I was in collage. Used to play this tune every Christmas season. Never thought to play it on uke! I love it!! Man, I should have had this season be strictly rap tunes.

SparkyUkulele - Little Numbers - I love your vocals. Is this your first vid in the seasons? In any case I hope we see you around here a lot! I've been doing the seasons since #1 and I've never turned in a vid this good. Anywhoodles...this is great. A new to me band and song. Top notch for sure.

Jazzbanjorex - Everything's Gonna Be Alright - What a fabulous tune! I'm a sucker for a super happy go lucky tune. I need all of those I can get right now. Never heard it before and this is exactly why I wanted to do this theme, to discover songs like this, and so much more. Cheers Rex!

AlanDP - Pour Your Wine - I always learn new songs every week from you Alan. I love that. What a great song. I love the picking moving into a strum then going back again. Very nice.

AlanDP - Justine - Songs of heartbreak. I'll have to check out this Kathy Dalton. This is the kind of song I would have put onto a mix tape when my first love smashed my hearts to pieces and I cried all over myself for months. TMI? Really good tune Alan. Thanks for bringing it.

pabrizzer - Come Back Again - Daddy Cool. Never heard of them, though you embody their name. Looking forward to going down this rabbit hole. I figure you and I enjoy a lot of the same types of music. To that, I really like this song. A little on the bluesy side. I imagine this would make a nice song for a road trip mix tape.

turtledrum - Song For A Winter's Night - This is totally in the spirit of this week's theme. I've always liked Gordon Lightfoot but haven't explored much beyond his hits. This song IO have heard only because I have a few friends who love to dig and fine great obscure songs like this and he sent it to me once, and it is a lovely song to say the least. So a perfect addition to the week. So beautifully performed Linda. I will be coming back for more of this.

FiL - Gas Station Girl - Good to see you Fil. Never heard this tune before, but it sounds like I'm in for quite a ride if I follow this rabbit hole. My kind of song here for sure. I can see why he's considered a songwriter's songwriter. Beautiful sounding uke too.

Tomcat Wombat - Little Movies - This works for sure! I have heard this tune but only because it was played on Conan and my SIL is a writer on that show. Great tune! Angels born in hell will sing our praises. Love those lyrics. Thanks for this one.

Tomcat Wombat - Memphis Town - Nice tune! I've never heard of The Okee Dokee Brothers. I love that name. And I love a good train song. Man, I want to learn this one. Love it!

Tomcat Wombat - Jackson Square - I like Mason Jennings but don't know much of his stuff. Never heard this one. He's a great songwriter and this is no exception. Tragic song. Paints quite a picture.

Recovering Bassist - Lookin' Better Every Beer - Well crafted indeed! lol. No, I've never heard this song and that surprises me. I love this kind of music and have done a couple of radio shows with alcohol as a theme. Excellent bring, and right up my musical alley!

I don't know how deep this one is, since I guar-on-tee you TCK knows it. But it's one of Dave Alvin's first solo cuts after he left the Blasters. And he still plays it today. (Dwight Yoakum also did a backing vocal on the original.) I keep thinking I recorded it for an earlier season, but I can't find it. Senior moments ...

Ben Nichols is the frontman for Lucero, and if you have not heard their first few records you are missing out, Guy can write a song.
The records lately have taken on a more commercial edge...but who can blame the guy for wanting to make a little money along the way.
Anyway, this is one off his solo endeavors, Last Pale Light in the West.
Really like this song

And another one. Promised Land by Carrie Nation and the Speakeasy. I play it VERY differently if you happen to have heard this record

When I was living in Sydney I wasn't too far away from Manly. Their rugby team uses Eagle Rock as their theme song. Only reason I'd have heard it.

I think there's plenty of cracking Aussie acts that'll be completely obscure to most people in the northern hemisphere, more's the pity.

I've love hear someone do some Yothu Yindi on the ukulele.

This is an Australian band. I don't know how famous they are there, but I think most people in the states aren't aware of them. Don't ask me how I know about them, I couldn't tell you. I came across them a few years ago in my musical wanderings. Check out a few of their videos and then read about them.

Top Bottom