Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of Pearl (mop) eye candy - bad stuff?

Default Mother of Pearl (mop) eye candy - bad stuff?

Many of the ukuleles sold by dealers in Taiwan & Vietnam are LOADED with very elaborate designs executed in mop. I detest them because: 1) I think they look cheap & gaudy, plus 2) I have the *opinion* that all that nacre must load up the wood & thereby detract from a ukulele's sound.

I am curious as to what others think about this.

Can't we keep this ukulele forum positive, why be so negative, it's a happy inspiring instrument no matter how it's configured.

• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    • Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Can't we keep this ukulele forum positive, why be so negative, it's a happy inspiring instrument no matter how it's configured.
    Plus plus kohanmike.
    Mother of Pearl. Mother of Toilet Seat. All different names we have heard.
    As long as the ears are pleased the eyes will be secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Many of the ukuleles sold by dealers in Taiwan & Vietnam are LOADED with very elaborate designs executed in mop. I detest them because: 1) I think they look cheap & gaudy, plus 2) I have the *opinion* that all that nacre must load up the wood & thereby detract from a ukulele's sound.

I am curious as to what others think about this.
    I agree there are some instruments that are overdone with MOP. I haven't specifically looked at builders from Taiwan and Vietnam as folks who often overdo MOP. I have a mandolin with some fancy inlay work in the neck which I like on that instrument. I don't have any idea if excessive inlay affects the tone of an instrument.

As a result of this thread I expanded my vocabulary by one word. After a trip to Dictionary.com I found out that nacre means mother of pearl
    Last edited by Doug W; 11-12-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

I think taste is subjective.

Personally I prefer simple to gaudy.
    But if there weren't people that liked gaudy, they wouldnt make it because it nobody would buy it.

I suppose if you don't have a name, looking flashy might be a way to stand out and make a sale.

I dont like those rims that spin on cars either... but enough people do.. that we all know what they are because we've seen them.

My opinion is the same as yours. Looks cheap and gaudy. I would never want one of those things. But, vive la difference!
    As for sound, I would think all the inlays would have no effect on sound unless they are on the soundboard itself (or if inlays become loose and buzz or rattle). And even on the soundboard, the effect on sound could be so slight as to be insignificant. It would be interesting to ask a master ukulele builder and inlay artist like Chuck Moore (of Moore Bettuh Ukuleles) what he thinks.
    Last edited by stevepetergal; 11-12-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Someone please explain what was negative about the original post.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    Someone please explain what was negative about the original post.
    In original posting. The word......"Detest"
    www.dictionary.com/browse/detest
    Detest definition, to feel abhorrence of; hate; dislike intensely. See more. ... verb. 1. (transitive) to dislike intensely; loathe. Derived Forms. detester, noun.

ahoy

have seen them
    sorta makes me want to gag
    Martin #2 is fancy enough for me
    but
    to each his own

yours truly
    mac

To each his or her own.

While I agree it can be overdone, personally I like well-executed inlays. But not all inlays speak to me. Many people, myself included, find a 5K uke astonishingly beautiful.

Is it only MOP inlay you dislike or any inlay?

Not too many people think Chuck Moore's elaborate inlays are ugly, and his ukes are often highly rated in tone.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information