Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother of Pearl (mop) eye candy - bad stuff?

in terms of looks for me, I like simpler, and less bling, and IMHO lots of nacre looks 'knackered' to me (borrowing an British idiom)

in terms of loading down and impeding the vibration of the soundboard, I've got no empirical data, but methinks this might be a slippery slope of splitting hairs

(mixed metaphors, yes please )

Having said the above, whatever floats your boat is good to me, it's YOUR money and YOUR uke, and IMHO whatever makes you happy and does not harm others is perfectly fine.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Many of the ukuleles sold by dealers in Taiwan & Vietnam are LOADED with very elaborate designs executed in mop. I detest them because: 1) I think they look cheap & gaudy, plus 2) I have the *opinion* that all that nacre must load up the wood & thereby detract from a ukulele's sound.

I am curious as to what others think about this.
    I agree. I prefer simple designs where the beauty of the wood really speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1931jim View Post
    In original posting. The word......"Detest"
    www.dictionary.com/browse/detest
    Detest definition, to feel abhorrence of; hate; dislike intensely. See more. ... verb. 1. (transitive) to dislike intensely; loathe. Derived Forms. detester, noun.
    Yeah, sure. But the post said very clearly that it was his opinion. I too, according to the definition you site, detest the look of these over-decorated ukuleles. That doesn't mean they're bad or even that I think they're bad. Not being negative, just expressing my opinion. I read the definition you attached. Please, read the original post.
    Last edited by stevepetergal; 11-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

This is my most "gawdy" MOP lathered ukulele. It sounds great, but it is an I'iwi. It was made by a master builder to sound good. I understand the OP doesn't like overdone bling. But the ukulele market caters to a wide audience and some go for looks over sound. Lots of young impressionable people are concerned with appearance

20171112_071535.jpg
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I think this is what the OP is referring to...

inlay ukulele.jpg

I'm not sure if it is truly MOP, but it is not something I would embrace.

John

I detest negativity. Which is relative to whom is seeing it.
    I agree that inlay can be overdone.
    When I was a beginner, I highly valued bling on ukes.
    Now, not so much, I'm not even that enamored by glossy finishes.
    Maybe I'm jaded?
    Anyhoo, I just learned two new words!
    (And they aren't cusswords)
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post

inlay ukulele.jpg

John
    Yup. Detestable.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post

inlay ukulele.jpg

John
    Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    Yup. Detestable.
    Actually that's quite tasteful. Not that its MY thing yet its a traditional and symmetric design. The gaudy designs are things like sail boats, unicorns and palm trees that are over done.

This kind of decoration on the back or fretboard has no effect on the sound whatsoever. Would large inlays on the soundboard have an effect? Maybe. I don't know. Seeing as inlays need a deeper backing to be stable an overly ornate soundboard probably would be a little dead from all the wood used to support the inlay.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    My opinion is the same as yours. Looks cheap and gaudy. I would never want one of those things. But, vive la difference!
    As for sound, I would think all the inlays would have no effect on sound unless they are on the soundboard itself (or if inlays become loose and buzz or rattle). And even on the soundboard, the effect on sound could be so slight as to be insignificant. It would be interesting to ask a master ukulele builder and inlay artist like Chuck Moore (of Moore Bettuh Ukuleles) what he thinks.
    I think some Asian exporters like to put some flares on their Ukes to sell their products. Afterall they can't compete with the Hawaiian makers or the master luthiers. But they also want to distinguish themselves from the cheap Asian factories, so inlaying becomes a solution to them. Obviously there is a market need for it. Personally I like simple design better.
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052 (Low G)

Concert:
    Loprinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa (CGDA), Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood (Low G), Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa (Low G), Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

The first uke I configured myself, about two months into my uke-life, was a Mya-Moe koa super-soprano, upon which I put an extraordinary (to me, now) amount of bling. I think Gordon and Char were horrified, but made it anyway. Now I can barely manage to look at it. Fortunately, I don't really "look at it" when I'm playing, but I would never take it out of the house. :-)
    Kathryn

Thread Information