Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Master Series from Pono

Default New Master Series from Pono

Pono has shown a prototype of this new Master Series a while back, but now they're here and they are cooler than ever, I think:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/vid...rmat:thumbnail

My wife and I couldn't resist, so we just went ahead and ordered one. I will report back with a brief review when it gets here.

Looking forward to your review. Absolutely love the videos of these. Radius fretboard, side soundport, bevel and slothead - I couldn't wish for more.

I have been searching for a long time for cedar concert. I am so fortunate to have ukes that I absolutely love - each different and unique, but I think a cedar top would provide that middle ground between mahogany and spruce. Anxiously awaiting a response from HMS if these will be available in the smaller scale......

Quote Originally Posted by keod View Post
    Anxiously awaiting a response from HMS if these will be available in the smaller scale...
    Ha, I pretty much asked them the opposite question: wether they will incorporate these features on their bigger sizes. The answer was a definite maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Ha, I pretty much asked them the opposite question: wether they will incorporate these features on their bigger sizes. The answer was a definite maybe.
    Way to go Rainer, another first. They are very well thought out instruments and no doubt you will be very happy with your new addition.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I owned four Pono's Pro Classics in the past and never really bonded with them. I always felt they did better with players with a stronger attack. In any event, I am impressed with how Pono keeps getting better and better no doubt thanks to Noa Bonk's input. They've improved the tone quality a lot to my ears over the last two years. These new Masters series sound very good.

I don't care for their neck profile as I find it too chunky for my liking, but I know many people like beefier necks. I haven't heard if they've modified the neck or not, so will be curious to your thoughts when you get yours.

Which one did you get? Again, congrats and look forward to hearing more!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Eddie, perhaps you get to play some of the new models when you visit Hawaii. Would be interesting to hear your feedback on how they have improved from the ones you played earlier.

My wife and I have owned about eight Pono ukes, and we liked them better than the K brands and almost as much as our Moore Bettah. With their radius fretboard, and now a side sound port and a bevelled armrest, they several features we really appreciate, but that are hard to find and usually cost three or four times as much.

We got Cedar/Mahogany, because we liked the both the sound and looks best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Eddie, perhaps you get to play some of the new models when you visit Hawaii. Would be interesting to hear your feedback on how they have improved from the ones you played earlier.

My wife and I have owned about eight Pono ukes, and we liked them better than the K brands and almost as much as our Moore Bettah. With their radius fretboard, and now a side sound port and a bevelled armrest, they several features we really appreciate, but that are hard to find and usually cost three or four times as much.

We got Cedar/Mahogany, because we liked the both the sound and looks best.
    The cedar/mahogany was my hands down favorite as well. I would buy one except for the slotted headstock. The taper is too short and abrupt and I jam my hand into it when forming chords like E7. It is an issue that I have with my fretting hand fingers being curled up like a semi claw, not so much the instruments fault.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keod View Post
    Looking forward to your review. Absolutely love the videos of these. Radius fretboard, side soundport, bevel and slothead - I couldn't wish for more.

I have been searching for a long time for cedar concert. I am so fortunate to have ukes that I absolutely love - each different and unique, but I think a cedar top would provide that middle ground between mahogany and spruce. Anxiously awaiting a response from HMS if these will be available in the smaller scale......
    I too, am waiting for the Concert size. I have a Pono PC with cedar and rosewood. It is absolutely fantastic. The sweet middle ground between mahogany and spruce.
    Tenor:
    Mya Moe Classic Koa #2052 (Low G)

Concert:
    Loprinzi Nova MS-C Mahogany/Spruce, , Knaile'a KPA C Premium Koa (CGDA), Kiwaya KMC-K Koa, Pono RC-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood (Low G), Kala Waterman KA CWB Green

Long Neck Soprano:
    KoAloha KSM-02 Koa

Soprano:
    Lanikai LU-21 Laminate Mahogany (My Very First Uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary Koa (Low G), Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire" Koa, Ohana SK 50G Cedar/Rosewood, Kala KA ASAC-S Acacia

Interesting!

It’s great to see a brand continuing to refine their product. Their new “P” inlay logo looks very similar to Jerry Hoffmann’s Boat Paddle inlay logo. But Jerry is no longer making ukes under that logo.

The new Pono pricing is close to many custom builds. So I think one would have to consider similar priced custom builds as competition. These imports are in the same price ranges as Ono and Myamoe, to name two. Can’t wait to hear some reviews from new owners of these new Pono ukes.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Very intrigued by these and sorely tempted, but price is my reservation too. I've owned several Pro Classics in the past and thought they were very good for the money ($600 to $900 range). These new ones include some nice features like the satin finish on the neck (a la Ko'olau), arm bevel, and side port. They look a bit cleaner and have some high quality tops too. Price might be warranted. Looking forward to reviews, especially relative to Pro Classics.

-Steve
    Last edited by Telperion; 11-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Thread Information