Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Master Series from Pono

Congratulations on the new ukulele. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of it after you've had a chance to play it. I think it's a nice touch that Pono is using a more elegant logo (a stylized "P") on the headstocks of these Master Series ukes.

I didn't care for the neck thickness of a Pono baritone I bought some years ago, but early this year I bought one of those Pono octave mandolins (which, with steel strings and DGBE tuning, is essentially an 8-string tenor guitar) and I love how it feels, plays and sounds. Pono is definitely doing some really cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    The new Pono pricing is close to many custom builds. So I think one would have to consider similar priced custom builds as competition. These imports are in the same price ranges as Ono and Myamoe, to name two.
    Seems like they're pricing themselves out of their niche. $1200-1500 puts you in reach of many "k brand" models as well. Choosing between Pono and Ono for equal money, I'm pretty sure which one I'd pick every time.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Seems like they're pricing themselves out of their niche. $1200-1500 puts you in reach of many "k brand" models as well. Choosing between Pono and Ono for equal money, I'm pretty sure which one I'd pick every time.
    I have a Pono Pro Classic and if I didn't have a VERY GOOD one, I would have jumped on this as well. Congrats Rainer, I liked that one the best.

I guess we would differ ... as per your comment Jim.

I am a fan of Pono.
    How bad is your UAS?

I think the prices are still very good if you consider all the upgrades: soundboard selected by one of the top ukulele luthiers of the world, slotted headstock, radius fretboard, adjustable truss rod, reinforded side sound port, beveled armrest, high gloss finish in combination with a satin neck... There aren't many makers who offer all of these features, and those who do will easily cost three or four times as much, with each upgrade adding to the cost. To me, this makes for a very attractive value.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - John Kinnard - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - Toby Chennell - and others

I saw these come up on The Ukuele Site while I was at work and couldn't plug my headphones in fast enough to see which one I wanted to purchase. There were two listed that were one off customs that sounded incredible but just couldn't afford the extra couple hundred dollars over the "standard" limited run. So it was betweenthe acacia back and the mahogany back and went with the mahogany. I liked the tone more. A little more forward and punchy to my ears. Hopefully be receiving it within two weeks. The anticipation and excitment is at very high levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    I think the prices are still very good if you consider all the upgrades: soundboard selected by one of the top ukulele luthiers of the world, slotted headstock, radius fretboard, adjustable truss rod, reinforded side sound port, beveled armrest, high gloss finish in combination with a satin neck... There aren't many makers who offer all of these features, and those who do will easily cost three or four times as much, with each upgrade adding to the cost. To me, this makes for a very attractive value.
    I agree with you Rainer. Great Ukes. More features. Years of enjoyment.
    How bad is your UAS?

Thread Information