I like to play this bach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC230wdYl1c

Is that a concert uke? and played in D tuning?
I googled and I'm assuming there's no score sheet for this specific version, but if it exists, it'd very helpful if someone direct me.

Nice beginners piece;)

Check out Sam Muir, she has it in PDF down load for sale. She is a member here and has a great website with lots of classical content.

It's not a D tuning, but that dog has no fleas. String #1 is a low G, #2 is a C, #3 is a G, and string #4 is a high E!
The uke looks like a concert in Mr. Durrant's hands, but I think he's rather a large fellow, and it's most likely a tenor or close to a tenor scale (Look at the interviewer next to the ukulele).
As for sheet music, the transcription in the video is probably Mr. Durrant's own. He may even be winging it. It's hard to tell with such talented musicians. Sam Muir's is excellent and more true to Bach. So is John King's transcription. These two are also arranged for standard GCEA (high G) tuning. There is a free (low G) transcription on Chief Noda's site. It's not as accurate as Muir's or King's versions, but still very nice and, unlike any of these others, in the original key!!

Last edited:
Samantha Muir sent out an email today with a free download of tabs for an Etude by Tarrega (looks easy). I'd recommend getting on her mailing list if you like classical fingerstyle.

You can download the Etude free from her blog on https://iloveclassicalukulele.com.

I just purchased her first Carulli book (~$10), she said it's the easiest one to start with.

Samantha Muir sent out an email today with a free download of tabs for an Etude by Tarrega (looks easy). I'd recommend getting on her mailing list if you like classical fingerstyle.

You can download the Etude free from her blog on https://iloveclassicalukulele.com.

I just purchased her first Carulli book (~$10), she said it's the easiest one to start with.

I just got that email too. I think I might get myself that book for Christmas!

First, thank you all for giving me information. I appreciate it.

I watched Sam Muir play on youtube and I can see how she plays classically. But still, I'm attracted to Durrant's interpret. I actually got John King's book as well. I only got cheap soprano and it's not even at hand now, so I was really curious how he tuned it. It's great to know that. I think I'll try copy this piece after I get a new uke. I still don't know if I like a concert or tenor to have, but maybe I'll get a tenor has spruce top.
Thank you everyone.

It's not a D tuning, but that dog has no fleas. String #1 is a low G, #2 is a C, #3 is a G, and string #4 is a high E!
The uke looks like a concert in Mr. Durrant's hands, but I think he's rather a large fellow, and it's most likely a tenor or close to a tenor scale (Look at the interviewer next to the ukulele).
As for sheet music, the transcription in the video is probably Mr. Durrant's own. He may even be winging it. It's hard to tell with such talented musicians. Sam Muir's is excellent and more true to Bach. So is John King's transcription. These two are also arranged for standard GCEA (high G) tuning. There is a free (low G) transcription on Chief Noda's site. It's not as accurate as Muir's or King's versions, but still very nice and, unlike any of these others, in the original key!!

I just realized how unusual the tuning is! I'm buying strings and I should get light gauge ones, right? This up tuning does seem to damage an ukulele.

I just realized how unusual the tuning is! I'm buying strings and I should get light gauge ones, right? This up tuning does seem to damage an ukulele.

You'll need to do some research if you want to utilize this tuning. (I wouldn't bother) I say contact an expert like Dirk at Southcoast Ukuleles. Maybe Hawaii Music Supply would have someone well-versed in string tension and alternate tunings, (perhaps well-versed enough to discourage you). You might try a local luthier, but be sure she/he does know the subject. Best choice would be to reach out to Mr. Durrant. You'll need him anyway, for his transcription, if he has even bothered to write it down, and is willing to sell it to you.

Again, with all the transcriptions of this particular piece available (some arguably better arrangements at that) for your ukulele as it is currently tuned, I think you'd be better served working on one of these others. Unless you have the resources of a Richard Durrant, (and his arrangement in your hands) it's a serious endeavor to modify your instrument for this one piece (actually just the prelude to a piece) of music.

Wish you the best of luck. Let us know your findings.

Last edited:
You could use the Aquila strings for violin-style 5ths tuning (GDAE). You would just have to tune the 2nd and 3rd strings each down a whole step. You’d be limited to a soprano scale, though, I think.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC230wdYl1c

Is that a concert uke? and played in D tuning?
I googled and I'm assuming there's no score sheet for this specific version, but if it exists, it'd very helpful if someone direct me.

Thanks for posting. He's one of my favorite guitarists. 1st time I've heard him play his uke.
Yes, Sam Muir does play this, and she teaches it.

Thank you guys for respond and information!
As I don't have a ukulele now(sold a soprano and ordered a tenor), I was watching the youtube video again and again and messing with a tabulate soft. I realized that it's actually played in GDAE.(hadn't known it's called violin/mandolin tuning until I checked out this thread) So, it looks like fingering for this transcription is close to mandolin's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKGI5zfkE0
Now I have to figure out how can I tune GDAE on a tenor. I'm gonna ask Maybe Hawaii Music Supply first.
Again, much appreciated your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom