Why do people say sopranos are hard to play?

I think what's easy or difficult depends on way too many variables to classify.... like hand size, finger size, dexterity & flexibility, style of play, and personal preference to name a few.

:agree:

I not sure if this is a soprano or a concert, but this dude is having a lot of fun on the ukulele..... Australian actor who plays guitar and ukulele.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SH5w2hZt4

Impressive. To me it looks like a Soprano and not an expensive one. I checked out this guy and it seems that he’s a very able guitar player who also plays Uke. His main work is acting. He keeps a Pink Mahalo too but to my ear it doesn’t sound much so I’ve not bothered adding a video link of it - the black/dark one might be a Mahalo as well but if so then perhaps it’s an unusually good one that’s been well sorted too.

I think that this guy is a good example of a skilled musician who makes the Soprano size Uke work for then. In the past - still do too - I have wondered whether the original (late 1800’s) Soprano Ukes were essentially a (thoughtfully scaled down to be) compact size and cost effective travel instrument that (still) works rather well.

Last edited:
I have a small group who I am teaching - all over 65 - and they do have great difficulty getting the left hand to work well. Often a concert or tenor gives a little more finger space. I am fortunate to have been playing the guitar since I was 12, have got used to narrow necks when playing the banjo and then playing an early banjo ukulele by Slingerland. My hands are used to XL gloves and my fingers are large. I prefer the soprano and find no difficulty. The instrument has so many delightful qualities, not least the happy sound. I belief it is practice and technique that makes the difference. How to use the left hand properly is part of what I teach.

:agree:

Impressive. To me it looks like a Soprano and not an expensive one. I checked out this guy and it seems that he’s a very able guitar player who also plays Uke. His main work is acting. He keeps a Pink Mahalo too but to my ear it doesn’t sound much so I’ve not bothered adding a video link of it - the black/dark one might be a Mahalo as well but if so then perhaps it’s an unusually good one that’s been well sorted too.

I think that this guy is a good example of a skilled musician who makes the Soprano size Uke work for then. In the past - still do too - I have wondered whether the original (late 1800’s) Soprano Ukes were essentially a (thoughtfully scaled down to be) compact size and cost effective travel instrument that (still) works rather well.

I've gotten hooked on Mr. McLachlan's Australian murder mystery TV series. While watching past seasons of the show on YouTube, I stumbled across the videos of him playing guitar & ukulele. I believe he's been playing guitar since he was a kid, and he had a singing career in Australia back in the 80s. I had just started playing the ukulele when I saw that video and it really spurred me on to continue learning. I like playing my soprano, but prefer the concert scale. I just ordered a Kiwaya/Famous long neck soprano. That's the nice thing about ukuleles.....lots of choices :)

Because they're harder to play for people with bigger hands. Just as tenors may be harder to play than a concert or soprano for someone with smaller hands. People play guitars, so why are tenors harder to play if you have smaller hands? Same thing, it's just how it is.

Top Bottom